frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Women wearing hijab: sexist or freedom of choice?

Debate Information

As far as I know there are two common sides to this argument from non-Muslims.

On one side, there are those who take a look at all the oppression of women in the middle east, as well as what a lot of strict Muslims have said about women/hijabs, and they say that if a women comes to a free country and still wears her hijab that it is because she was brainwashed to do so. She does not understand her freedoms and still feels the need to cover up because she is an object at the hands of men. Either that, or she is pressured into wearing it by perhaps a more conservative Muslim family. On the other side, there are those who say that the hijab is a personal choice, or even a feminist statement: rejecting the societal pressure of maintaining a beauty standard by covering up. It is a women's choice to do as she pleases, and it is empowering for her to make that choice, even if it means keeping her hijab on.

Personally I don't really understand the last argument at all...the hijab, as far as I know, was not designed to be a symbol of empowerment. And you don't need to cover up to reject beauty standards. Another thing I always see is hijab-wearing women who still wear makeup or are into fashion. If the point of the hijab is to reject beauty standards, why would you try to further artificialize yourself according to beauty standards by modifying your face? (Not that I dislike makeup, it just seems hypocritical in this instance.)

What do you guys think? Would love to hear a Muslim perspective as well
passedbill
  1. Live Poll

What do you think about hijab?

7 votes
    1. It's a symbol of sexism
      42.86%
    2. It's a woman's choice
      57.14%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• passedbillpassedbill 80 Pts   -  
    I don't view it as sexist or freedom of choice.

They should be allowed to wear their outfits, but to an extent. There could be safety issues due to the Muslim women potentially hiding weapons in their clothing. Also, this symbolizes a separation a little bit of sexism, but it's more of a religious thing for them.
    ale5
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    It is a religious choice, so while I don't agree with it, I accept it
    melanielust
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    I think that they shouldn't. I understand the religious freedom, but that is messing with DNA of our country. The issue is that these groups don't mix into our culture and essentially just create their own communities- that ultimately hate our way of live
  • SuperSith89SuperSith89 170 Pts   -  
    I myself disagree with any Muslim beliefs, but it is their choice.  I have the belief that women are not objects of anyone and they are priceless.  It's what God says about all of us.  Listen to the song Priceless by For King and Country if interested.  Great song and incredible message.  Still their choice though.  
    agsrmelanielust
  • eric_the_warlorderic_the_warlord 26 Pts   -  
    Literally everybody here is mixed and we come from all over the world. I myself am half Venezuelan and half American and a bunch of percentages of other stuff all over the world.
    Guess who else creates their own communities, Christians, LGBT+, Blacks, Whites, even then there are still some Native American groups. They don't ultimately hate our way of life. If they did, they would've done something about it. @love2debate@passedbill
    Why would a Muslim woman hide a weapon in her hijab? You have to understand that not all Muslims are terrorists. 
    WhyTrump
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @eric_the_warlord, excellent point. What seems foreign to us, is natural for them and visa versa.  We should accept and embrace diversity.
    WhyTrump - a good question