frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Are More Hurricanes Occurring Due To Climate Change?

Debate Information

Are there more hurricanes occurring due to climate change? I believe so.
billpassedjoecavalry
  1. Live Poll

?

12 votes
    1. Yes
      66.67%
    2. No
      33.33%
About Persuade Me

Persuaded Argument

• agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta, to your point, I also think that we don't have conclusive data that it's due to climate change.  It does look pretty scary though...harby, irna, and we are only in September.  
    natbarons

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• billpassedbillpassed 146 Pts   -  
    Yes, climate change causes stronger hurricanes and storms to occur. It may also cause the quantity of hurricanes and storms.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    Why is it, when it was pointed out for the previous 5+ years that the number of hurricanes was below average, the climate alarmists said "that's weather, you can't count that", but now suddenly the number of hurricanes, which is hardly unprecedented, is a sign of climate change?
    agsrDrCereal
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    Yes, the Gulf of Mexico was much warmer due to climate change. It may not have been the reason they formed but it made them much stronger.
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • DrCerealDrCereal 193 Pts   -  
    CYDdharta said:
    Why is it, when it was pointed out for the previous 5+ years that the number of hurricanes was below average, the climate alarmists said "that's weather, you can't count that", but now suddenly the number of hurricanes, which is hardly unprecedented, is a sign of climate change?
    Sources?
    Bis das, si cito das.
  • WilliamSchulzWilliamSchulz 255 Pts   -  
    Here is some evidence that hurricanes are happening as a result of climate change. First off, some basic information on what climate change and global warming does. Climate change is caused by the greenhouse effect where CO2 is let into the atmosphere, disrupting the ozone layer, and allowing more heat to hit the Earth. 

This is according to NASA on the history of Atlantic hurricanes and the projected pattern. There are 2 figures, of which I will explain each one. 

Figure A represent the power and quantity over the course of 70 years based on human activity to make a prediction based on the destructivity of hurricanes as a result of increased climate change. On the other hand, the Figure B represents a more modest gain and fall of hurricanes and predictions for 2100.

Quote: "Model-based climate change detection/attribution studies have linked increasing tropical Atlantic SSTs to increasing greenhouse gases, but proposed links between increasing greenhouse gases and hurricane PDI or frequency has been based on statistical correlations. The statistical linkage of Atlantic hurricane PDI to Atlantic SST suggests at least the possibility of a large anthropogenic influence on Atlantic hurricanes. If this statistical relation  between tropical Atlantic SSTs and hurricane activity is used to infer future changes in Atlantic hurricane activity, the implications are sobering: the large increases in tropical Atlantic SSTs projected for the late 21st century would imply very substantial increases in hurricane destructive potential–roughly a 300% increase in the PDI by 2100 (Figure 1a)."

So this is the entire debate here, which is more accurate, Figure A or Figure B. I will be attempting to prove the validity of Fig. A.

Take my previous description of what climate change does, and as a result, this warms up the oceans because of heat let in. This means that although hurricanes can still face wind shear, a warm ocean will sometimes overpower wind, causing hurricanes like Sandy or Irma. 

Here is another graph that shows the increase of hurricanes from 1851 to 2006. 

It is important to note that although 1851 to 1910 may not be entirely accurate because of the technology at the time, it is safe to say that models got more accurate from that point on. Also, while land falling hurricanes remain steady, the # of major hurricanes and hurricanes increases and is on the rise.

So, what happened in 1980 to 2006 that put hurricanes on the rise? Could be many reasons, but with rising sea levels because of global warming, man made releases into the atmosphere, and pollutants, its no wonder why most nations signed onto the Paris Accord. The effects of global warming have provided a haven for hurricanes to develop. This 2017 season featured 11 hurricanes in A ROW!!! What?! That was a record breaker, and is a clear image of what global warming can do. You might say, that was a freak season, but then I ask you, how many C5 hurricanes are there between 1980-2017 compared to ALL other years? According to a research center/ NASA and my counting skills (yes, I do this) there were 17 C5's in years 1851 to 1979, and 16 C5's from 1980 to 2017. Sure, there were more between 1851 and 1979, but that was 128 years, and between 27 years, 1/4th of the time, the margin is only 1 away! There seems to be a clear picture that global warming is the result, and that would make sense, because before 1980, global warming was rising, but barely, while in 1980 to 2017, it sloped steeply upward. Here is an image that I found on NASA, showing a time machine of global temperature from 1884 to 2016, of which I skipped to 1980 to provide you the evidence.
    Time Series 1884 to 2016 image 96

Image 1: 1980 ABOVE
    Time Series 1884 to 2016 image 132

Image 2: 2016 ABOVE

If this is not enough, let me know, I am interested to see your sources, here are mine.

1. https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/ This provided me with the 2 graphs on hurricane count + quote
    2.  "Atlantic hurricane best track (HURDAT version 2)"Hurricane Research Division (Database). Miami, FL: National Hurricane Center. April 11, 2017. Retrieved November 30, 2017. Provided me with C5 count from 1851 to 2017
    3. https://climate.nasa.gov/interactives/climate-time-machine Provided me with the time change of global temperatures.
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

• joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    No, hurricanes may not be related to climate change.
    DrCereal
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover.