frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Should people be allowed to sell their organs for profit?

Debate Information

What do you think? People might want extra money and the best way to getting it is to help another person while getting money for it. On the alternative, is this morally sound and will some people abuse this opportunity. Will people use it for reasonable purposes or will they abuse their bodies in the process? 
  1. Live Poll

Should people be allowed to sell their organs for profit?

14 votes
    1. Yes
      42.86%
    2. No
      35.71%
    3. Don't know
      21.43%
  2. Live Poll

If people can donate organs, will they abuse their power?

14 votes
    1. Yes
      50.00%
    2. No
      14.29%
    3. Unsure
      35.71%
A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    This is actually a case where you screw them over if you legalise it.

The act being illegal is why a person can get out of poverty by selling a kidney or part of a liver etc. If you legalised it, the cost of organs would rapidly decrease by huge proportions.
  • OakchairbcOakchairbc 88 Pts   -  
    Just switch organ donating to an opt out system. That means that unless the person opts our organs are automatically donated at death. 
  • BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. People have the constitutional right to donate their organs if they want to. In my opinion, a certified doctor should allow the donator to do so. Doing this will prevent death and injury.
    i fart cows
  • GrenacheGrenache 65 Pts   -  
    If it's yours then it's yours to do with as you choose.  And if you have more than one then why not have a right to sell the spare?

Personally, I wouldn't do it though.
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -   edited February 2018
    People should be allowed to sell their organs, but only if they would be able to survive without that organ or that organ isn’t necessary for them.
    Polaris95
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • MasterofPunMasterofPun 34 Pts   -  
    1. If people have a way of benefiting from something, it's very likely that they will abuse it. That's simply human nature. 
    2. If it is profitable to sell organs legally, it will be easier to farm/kill people with the intention of harvesting and selling organs. While it is already possible to sell organs illegally, if it is legal this will get even easier yet. That's a real risk. I'd rather not that blood on my hand.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    Of course they should , sell as many as you can if that’s what you want , why do people assume they have the right to tell others what to do with their body ? 
  • EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    What do you think? People might want extra money and the best way to getting it is to help another person while getting money for it. On the alternative, is this morally sound and will some people abuse this opportunity. Will people use it for reasonable purposes or will they abuse their bodies in the process? 
    @WilliamSchulz
    Not for money, but trade.
    I need a good cervical spine c1-c7,

Image result for pic of spine

.. will trade left kidney and a lung for it!
    Erfisflat
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    I support the individual's freedom to treat their body however they see fit. Whether they want to amputate their own limb, or to abort their fetus, or to donate/sell their organ, or to take a heavy drug, or to commit suicide - nobody should be able to prevent them from doing so. The only exception is when them treating their body a certain way will directly affect the physiology of other people; for example, a person should not be legally allowed to inject their body with a contagious virus the spores of which can be inhaled by others to become contaminated.
  • EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:
    I support the individual's freedom to treat their body however they see fit. Whether they want to amputate their own limb, or to abort their fetus, or to donate/sell their organ, or to take a heavy drug, or to commit suicide - nobody should be able to prevent them from doing so. The only exception is when them treating their body a certain way will directly affect the physiology of other people; for example, a person should not be legally allowed to inject their body with a contagious virus the spores of which can be inhaled by others to become contaminated.
    @MayCaesar said: "or to commit suicide - nobody should be able to prevent them from doing so."

So you would be against what this guy did?

What if that was your younger brother who just went through a divorce, and this guy saved him!? Because of it, you got a chance to have a good talk with your li'l and brought him out of his depression, start doing more things with him and he went on with his life!?