frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

A given movie's quality should be judged by artistic/intellectual merit as opposed to money made.

Debate Information

This would 
- Incentivize the creation of movies of a higher intellectual nature: essentially, higher reviews lead to larger audiences, which in turn lead to a more successful movie in terms of money. Giving higher reviews to more artistic and intellectual movies will make them earn more money. Since the movie industry operates to gain profit, it will incentivize more artistic and intellectual movies. Rating them on money made only limits the incentivization of movies to ones that get large audiences in the first place, namely, ones with good trailers that apply to many people. 
- result in an overall more culturally rich community.
- Enable movies to be compared with other movies in the past on a more fair playing field: one where inflation has no major effect.

K_Michael

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    Nah, it wouldn't work.  Usually the movies with the highest reviews are the most boring movies to hit the screens.  I usually find the best movies have mediocre reviews.
  • CuriousGeorgeCuriousGeorge 109 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta, I actually think it's a self fulfilling prophecy. The higher reviews the higher viewership and money made. Most people view reviews before deciding to see a movie.

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta, I actually think it's a self fulfilling prophecy. The higher reviews the higher viewership and money made. Most people view reviews before deciding to see a movie.

No, that statement is demonstrably incorrect.  If you compare the top ten highest rated films from 2017 to the top ten highest grossing films of 2017, the only film that was in both categories was Star Wars:The Last Jedi.  I couldn't  Rotten Tomatoes 10 list for 2016, but I did find their top rated movies for 2016.  If you compare the movies that rated 98% to 100%, 22 in all, to the top ten grossing films of 2016, the only movie that was in both categories was Zootopia.
  • WilliamSchulzWilliamSchulz 255 Pts   -  
    CYDdharta said:

No, that statement is demonstrably incorrect.  If you compare the top ten highest rated films from 2017 to the top ten highest grossing films of 2017, the only film that was in both categories was Star Wars:The Last Jedi.  I couldn't  Rotten Tomatoes 10 list for 2016, but I did find their top rated movies for 2016.  If you compare the movies that rated 98% to 100%, 22 in all, to the top ten grossing films of 2016, the only movie that was in both categories was Zootopia.
    This may be true, but keep in mind that reviewers can be completely biased when reviewing a movie. I saw a movie that got a 66%, but I thought was really great, and a film that got a 89% that I thought was mediocre. I think that judging a movie by the intellectual and artistic content would work because it would allow a more diverse style of reviewing a film. It would challenge reviewers to rate the ideas or themes presented by the movie rather than the special effects and plot captivation. However, this is somewhat already addressed when reviewers talk about bland characters or many loopholes in the story line. One of the best things to do is simply, when watching the movie, what areas do you think they did good in, say animation, acting, story line, and what lacked, say plot, themes, decoration? Overall, reviewers can give you a general idea of the film, but the audience is the overall judge. Therefore, it is meaningless to compare higher grossing films to highest rating because money and personal opinions don't need to correlate. Higher grossing films mean that the movie was advertised to the right people or that it was a recognizable name in a franchise, but higher ranking sets the bar for what you can "possibly" expect the quality to be.
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

• GrahamNobleGrahamNoble 13 Pts   -  
    This argument is flawed from the beginning.  There are several intellectual movies that pose great questions, are loved by critics, but never make a profit.  Is this because they are bad?  Quite the opposite.  Most of the time its because they are too smart.  Movies have always mainly meant to be an escape from the real world, a doorway into fantasy and action-packed universes.  People mostly go to movies to have fun, laugh, cry, get their heart racing.  There is a minority who likes seeing intellectual movies.  But why would these massive companies decide to make movies asking about the meaning of life and cause their possible viewer base to turn away because they don't want a movie to make them think.  Movie companies are going to pander to the largest audience they can, which usually means make movies dumber and more action-packed.  Now it would be nice to get more intellectual movies on the big screen, but the fact just is that a lot of people don't want to go to movies that make them think.
  • Polaris95Polaris95 147 Pts   -  
    Well, most people rate movies based on their enjoyment watching the movie. While Jumanji 2 may not have been an artistically good movie, it was very fun to watch. The majority of cinemagoers don't especially want to see a 3-hour art movie about the biggest questions in life. On the other hand, they would easily digest a big-budget superhero movie. While I feel like people should also base their liking of a movie on its art qualities, films shouldn't lose merit because they weren't groundbreakingly intelligent. There should instead be a balance between artsy and blockbuster movies in the cinema.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    Judged by whom, whoever? As it stands, reviewers are free to judge a movie based on any criteria they want. Some base their judgment on the profit from the movie, others on its popularity, others still on its artistic merit, still others on the intellectual or philosophical messages behind the movie... Aggravated scores are somewhat useless for this reason, since they average over judgments based on different subjective criteria - resulting on the value that does not reflect any of those criteria.

Take the last Star Wars movie, for example. Its aggravated scores are very high, it received mostly positive mainstream reviews, and very few professional reviewers criticized it - yet I thought it was by far the weakest movie from the Star Wars series: it ignored the previous character development and completely rewrote them in a way that made their previous history make no sense, it introduced a lot of corny jokes that really do not fit the Star Wars vibe, the plot was weak and not self-consistent.

I find it hard to find a criterion, however, that would judge this movie the same way I did. Many people with similar intellectual and artistic meaning to mine thought the movie was awesome, for the same reasons: a fresh outlook on the character development, new style of jokes, unusual plot - things that, in their opinion, gave the series a new breath. 

Which outlook is more in line with a merit-based judgment? Both are strongly subjective.