frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Should tackle football be banned for people under 12?

Debate Information

New York and Illinois are considering banning tackle football for 12 and under. Thoughts 
  1. Live Poll

Should tackle football be banned for people under 12?

5 votes
    1. Yes
      40.00%
    2. No
      60.00%
I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
56%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• averyaproaveryapro 150 Pts   -  
    People under the age of twelve have every right to play tackle football as 30 year olds in the NFL. It's not like these twelve year olds are playing against football players who are a foot taller than them and thirty more pounds. They are playing with kids who have the same build and are the same skill level. Obviously, there are going to be a few more children that are a little bit bigger and larger but that doesn't mean everybody is. Someone may argue that they have a higher chance of injury or they shouldn't suffer an injury at that age. First of all, they have the same chance of getting hurt as anybody else. Also, I have a friend who is thirteen and sprained their ACL in seventh grade and they are as fine as could be so the injury isn't going to change on age. Playing tackle football at any age is ok. 
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    The issue with letting children play full contact football is the same issue my Grandfather posed to me when I was a kid.  I was a young kid that thought football was cool and he was a 30 year Doctor who told me that playing football significantly increases your chances of sustaining an injury at a young age that will stay with you for the rest of your life.  

I'd have to ask for some sort of research or study that concludes with any certainty that kids who play contact sports are at no greater risk of sustaining a life changing injury as other kids who don't play contact sports.  I think the concern is having a child who can't make the best decisions for themselves (Because they're children) deciding to play football, sustains a major injury and by the time they're 18...they wish they hadn't been allowed to do such a thing as the results adversely affect their life to that day.  The studies and research done that suggests that it's not a good idea to let children play football is widely available.  I don't think personal experience should be used to discredit scientific research and data.

I don't personally think kids should be allowed to play football before 17.  I think it's fine to practice, train and exercise for the game but letting kids run full force into each other is NOT a good idea.

http://time.com/4948320/football-brain-damage-consussions-study/
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2017/09/19/study-links-youth-football-greater-risk-later-health-problems/UF3vWIAraotnJnbU8o8TDP/story.html
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/sports/football/tackle-football-brain-youth.html
    http://orthokids.org/Sports-Injury-Prevention/Football-Injuries
    Pogueale5
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".