frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

The Sinai Revelation

Debate Information

The Sinai revelation is the focal point for Judaism. Jews believe that HaShem (G-d) spoke to the entire Jewish people at Mt. Sinai and gave them the Torah. The Torah states:

[Moses told the Israelites]: 'Only beware for yourself and greatly beware for your soul, lest you forget the things that your eyes have beheld. Do not remove this memory from your heart all the days of your life. Teach your children and your children's children about the day that you stood before the Lord your God at Horev [Mount Sinai]...

God spoke to you from the midst of the fire, you were hearing the sound of words, but you were not seeing a form, only a sound. He told you of His covenant, instructing you to keep the Ten Commandments, and He inscribed them on two stone tablets.' (Deut.4:9-13)

This important event was codified by Maimonades in the 13 principles of the Jewish faith:

The eighth principle is that the Torah is from Heaven. This means that we believe that the entire Torah that is in our hands today is the Torah that was given to Moses, and that it is from the Powerful One entirely. Meaning, that it came to [Moses] entirely from God, in the kind of transmission that may be referred to metaphorically as “speech.” No one knows the nature of that transmission except the person, may peace be upon him, who received it. He was akin to a scribe before whom something is dictated and he writes it all down, dates, numbers and commands…. To [the Sages], [King] Manasseh was the greatest denier and forsaker—more than any other denier—since he believed that the Torah had an inner core and an outer shell (b. San. 99b), and that the dates and stories offer no benefit and that Moses wrote them himself. This is the meaning of [the heretical declaration] ‘the Torah is not from heaven’ (m. San. 10:1).  [The Sages] said that this refers to a person who says that the entire Torah is from the Holy One, except for one verse, which the Holy One did not say but Moses said it on his own.  … Rather, every letter of the Torah contains within it wisdom and wonders to whomever the Lord has granted the wisdom to discern it.… The biblical passage that supports this eighth principle is …. “By this you shall know that it was the Lord who sent me to do all these things; that they are not of my own devising” (Num. 16:28).”[1]

He further adds in the Mishneh Torah:

The Israelites did not have faith in our teacher, Moses, because of the signs he wrought. For anyone who believes because of signs has foolishness in his heart, for it is possible to perform [wondrous deeds] through trickery or sorcery. … So what is the source of our belief in [Moses]? The [revelation] at Mount Sinai. Our eyes saw, and not a stranger’s.  Our ears heard, and not another’s. There was fire and thunder and lightning, and he approached the fog and a voice spoke with him and we heard it say, “Moses, Moses, go tell them thus.”[4]

In other words, the entire Jewish people heard G-d speak at Mt. Sinai. The Jewish faith is the only religion that adheres to a national revelation as opposed to a private/individual revelation.The entire nation heard G-d speak and received the Torah together.

Is there any natural explanation for the Sinai revelation?
billpassedkmelkevolution17

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• billpassedbillpassed 146 Pts   -  
    I am Jewish and have full faith in my religion.

What happened that holy day at Mount Sinai was a true event. Many religious events can't be scientifically explained at least not in our modern time. Although, there has been some evidence found pottrenrslly of this or other Jewish events by people. I believe that there can be a natural explanation of G-D coming from the Heavams and giving his people the Torah. This was one of the only occurrences if not the only where people heard G-D himself speak to them, since this is a rare event, the explanation may be that this was a one-time occurrence which can't be replicated there fore doesn't happen today.
    Virtuosokmelkevolution17
  • kmelkevolution17kmelkevolution17 95 Pts   -  
    I am also Jewish.

My stance is that the vent did in fact occur. Although, it doesn't seem like a scientifically explainable event.
    Virtuoso
  • JudaismJudaism 180 Pts   -  
    I'm Orthodox Jewish as well, to answer your question, no, there are no anomalies in Judaism, and there are no alternative explanations to the Sinai revelation. It happened as described. 
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    Human programming puts forward three very biased arguments.