frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Formal Debate: The Earth is flat

Debate Information

So DebateIsland recently released a new platform of debating called "Formal-ish". I will be arguing that the Earth is flat. This debate will be available for contenders for a day. @Erfisflat @Evidence

Please don't join if your name begins with "Han-" or "Cove--", (and for the latter, we both know you only care about denying theism) because I know you're both trolls

Opening Arguments:

I will now state my opening arguments.

Argument 1. NASA admitting to faking images, debunking the "independent alternatives"

A common "proof" for a globe that I see is "NASA images". For the Earth to be flat, obviously, NASA images have to be faked. And NASA images have been debunked in many ways. 

Image result for NASA images make up your mind

Notice here the major discrepancy? We notice the continents shrinking, growing, changing color, etc.

And copied and pasted clouds

Image result for you live on a cgi digital painting

We also have NASA directly admitting to faking images. Read my debate here: 

http://debateisland.com/discussion/1283/nasa-admitting-to-faking-images

Now, if the Earth were TRUELY spherical, why would NASA need to fake these images?

I have noticed that whenever globe-Earthers are called out for NASA images, they always turn to the "Independent alternatives" red herring, usually pointing out stuff like the 2012 red bull freefall or, far, FAR more commonly, "curvature" from airplanes

http://debateisland.com/discussion/1293/red-bull-stratos-freefall-debunked As for red bull, I've already debunked that before. 

Image result for Curved glass artificially curves straight lines The explanation for airplane curvature is that curved glass can artifically curve straight lines, similar to a fish eye lense 
Related image

Argument 2. The Chicago Skyline

(Credit to @Erfisflat

One of the most compelling arguments that convinced me into a flat Earth was @Erfisflat 's Chicago skyline argument.

According to the globe model, this should be impossible and Chicago should instead disappear over the horizon but this is not the case. The common explanation is that this is just a mirage, but if you have actually seen a mirage you will know this is not true.

Image result for inferior mirage vs superior mirage

3. No evidence of curvature.

We are widely told we can see curvature at 35,000 feet. However..

Lets first look at this video, which shows flatness from 34,000 to 38,000 feet:

(It is claimed we can see curvature at around this height, specifically at 35,000 feet, but yet we see none).

No curvature at 121,000 feet:

No Curvature at 317,000 feet:

As already mentioned it is claimed we can see curvature around 35,000 feet, but we see none at 38,000, 121,000, or 317,000 feet.

4. Flight patterns

There are many flight patterns that make no sense on a sphere, but they do on a flat earth. First off lets look at antarctica. As we know, these routes do not exist: 

We are told that we do not go on these routes because it is too cold, and that the planes instruments would freeze, but we are also told that we have gone to places much more frigid than anything expirenced on Earth. So, why shouldn't planes be able to take shorter routes over Antarctica? The "explanation" about planes instruments freezing is more of an excuse than an explanation.

Then look at this. On a ball earth, during a flight to Johannesburg to Perth, it should be a straight shot over the ocean and we should be able to land for refueling in Mauritus or Madagascar. But instead, most flights will stop in Dubai, Hong Kong, or Malaysia. It should also be a straight shot over the atlantic to go to Johannesburg to Sao Paulo, but many flights instead make a re-feuling in London, which would be impossible on a spherical Earth. 

5. Proving the Geocentric sun.

While I understand this does step away from the flat Earth a bit, I am including this here to stop the flood of "tim zoncs"

If you have any responses to this, please post it here. If you give up on the globe, post that here.

6. Extras

(the latter gives other proofs of a flat earth)
northsouthkoreanamemcnamenatbaronsmelefErfisflataarongEvidence
  1. Live Poll

Is the Earth flat?

17 votes
    1. Yes
      29.41%
    2. No
      70.59%
I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)

Debra AI Prediction

For
Predicted To Win
56%
Likely
44%
Unlikely

Details +

For:

70% (64 Points)

Against:

30% (27 Points)

Votes: 10

Voting Format: Casual Voting

Rounds: 1

Time Per Round: 24 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 24 Hours

Round 1

Voting

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: For
    SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited November 2017
    Hmm, no takers? You can only post 1 argument during the whole debate, so just keep editing your posts. I will do the same. We should also send messages back and forth.

1.1: @Evidence Indeed. Now we just need to wait for takers. 

1:2: @NorthSouthKorea I presume you haven't put much time into researching the flat Earth. The flat Earth has a dome and ice wall which prevents people from falling off the edge.  
    (the latter gives other proofs of a flat earth)
    1:3: @Natbarons I already addressed your arguments. Way before you posted them. And in this debate
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
    EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  
    Beautifully done @SilverishGoldNova ; ..I love the "Here comes the sun" video, real good proof there.

"The most undeniable proof, .. "   video, .. the quarter experiment angle of the camera to the flatness of the table seems off to me, do we have a better video of that?
    The other one is the sun getting smaller video, I never witnessed this?
    Other than that, what's there to debate? The Earth is flat, and we been lied to for all them years.
    SilverishGoldNova
  • Round 1 | Position: Against
    I don’t believe that the Earth is flat.

1) If the Earth is Flat, airplanes, ships, etc. would fall off the Earth or not be able to go around the Earth.

2) The Earth’s rotation may be different or the Earth wouldn’t rotate with a flat Earth.
    SilverishGoldNova
    PowerPikachu21PowerPikachu21 213 Pts   -   edited November 2017
    I guess I'll come over on this debate, but as a 3rd party who'll point out arguments that ignore something. (I personally don't believe the Earth is flat, and never will. But I might mainly argue against Round Earth arguments that seem empty.)

@northsouthkorea The flat earth theory is actually not what you might think; it's more in depth than a mere disk.

Think of the Flat Earth more like a snow globe, with a dome. Instead of rotating, the Flat Earth model suggests the sun and moon hover over the Earth, and circle around, which creates day and night.

Also, they claim airplanes curve to make it seem like the Earth is round. If you want my vote, you'll need to research a bit about this topic before posting, bring evidence that proves this wrong, and show us which side is right.
    SilverishGoldNova
  • Round 1 | Position: Against
    natbaronsnatbarons 133 Pts   -   edited November 2017
    The Earth is not flat. Their are images from NASA and other organizations, etc. possibly which show that the Earth is round. Also, countries and companies and investing a large amount of money possibly due to space being real and the Earth’s shape
    SilverishGoldNova