frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is this a display of artistic genius or simply sick ?

Debate Information

Is this a display of artistic genius or simply sick ?

Guillermo Vargas, Eres Lo Que Lees (You Are What You Read), 2007
Guillermo Vargas’ story is in a particularly sensitive vein, as it involves the supposedly-intentional starvation of an innocent animal. In an exhibition at Códice Gallery in Managua, Nicaragua, the artist bound a stray dog to the wall by a leash, leaving it without food or water. Spelled out above the animal were the words, “Eres Lo Que Lees,” Spanish for “You Are What You Read.” To add insult to injury, the phrase was made out of dog biscuits.

The gallery defended itself, claiming the dog was unchained and fed outside of exhibition hours, but that didn’t prevent international outrage or the death threats addressed to Vargas from streaming in. (Tom Otterness infamously shot a dog for art in 1977, but the incident did not become widely known until many years later, and the video footage has never been widely distributed.)

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• I hope a leprachaun takes Guillermo to the top of a rainbow and drops him into a pot of anthrax infested doggy biscuits.He is obviously just a bass tard with the artistic ability of a chewed up squeaky toy.
    BaconToes
  • MajoMILSdlGMGVMajoMILSdlGMGV 103 Pts   -  
    In my opinion that is not art. He is justifying his inhumanity by saying it is art. I don't think someone who is mentally stable is capable of such thing, and the people who own the gallery or allowed the display are just as unstable. 
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  

@MajoMILSdlGMGV

But you say this without even investigating the artist or their reasoning, interesting 
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  

@anonymousdebater

Did you research the artist or their intent , I bet that’s a ....no 
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    Dee who thinks mass genocide is the best way to treat poorer populations strikes again with valuing idiotic art appreciation as more important than animal rights.

Bravo, let's celebrate HIP HIP HOORAY. another psychopathic debate today.
    Dee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @someone234

Dee who thinks mass genocide is the best way to treat poorer populations strikes again with valuing idiotic art appreciation as more important than animal rights.

Someone one who thinks watching children die slowly of starvation is better than ending their lives quickly strikes again and demonstrates he just make judgements based on his herd mentality 

Bravo, let's celebrate HIP HIP HOORAY. another psychopathic debate today. 

Bravo , let’s celebrate HIP HIP HOORAY another debate someone does not understand 

@Dee I think we should feed them and help them instead of killing them you are just too foolish to comprehend long-term solutions.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @someone234

I think we should feed them and help them instead of killing them you are just too foolish to comprehend long-term solutions.

Who are you talking about now dogs / people /both as you’re to foolish to say which and why aren’t you off feeding them instead of typing up “ foolishness “ 
    @Dee Why aren't you mercy killing them instead of typing up foolishness?
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @someone234

No , I prefer to be like people like you and watch them die slowly ..... Hey we are on the same page of , who would have thought?
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    @Dee You have shown your true colours yet again but do not tell me the type of person that I am thank you very much.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @someone234

You have shown your true colons yet again

someone234
  • cdog1950cdog1950 27 Pts   -  
    Personally speaking, and this won't be the most logical argument: should I stumble upon such an outrage I would stomp the s-- out of the "artist", thereby making a large blood stain on the floor which I would call "art."
    anonymousdebater
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -  
    The reasoning behind a certain action does not matter in terms of objective reality; the action itself does. Forcing a dog to starve is forcing a dog to starve, regardless of whether it is done out of sadism, or to convey some deep philosophical point: the end result is, the dog is starving. 

Think about it this way: if someone walks up to you on the street and hits you in the head with a hammer, will any possible reasoning behind this action make up for the fact that you have been injured? It might in the eyes of the attacker, but probably not in your eyes.

Art, in theory, can be done in any physically possible way. However, something being art does not cancel its other properties - such as, for example, it being cruel.
  • Mr_BombasticMr_Bombastic 144 Pts   -  
    @Dee
    Some people who find this objectional are the same people who have no problem killing an unborn child. Oh, the irony.
  • GandGand 14 Pts   -  

Art is pretty much indefinable, therefore anything can be called art, but that shouldn’t be used to justify harming sentient creatures. If by calling something art absolves it from condemnation and legal prosecution then boiling a baby alive could be deemed permissible simply by calling it art.