frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Is freedom overrated?

Debate Information

Since the rise of terrorism, people have accepted the loss of personal freedoms disproportionately to the actual danger of getting hurt or killed by an act of terror.
joecavalryBaconToes

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Freedom is not overrated. Freedom allows people to do what they want, live the best life they can, say what they want, live where they want, etc. Also, @ih8sharts , you can make an image show up on the homepage for your Debate by uploading an image to the Debate body.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • ih8shartsih8sharts 59 Pts   -  
    Freedom is not overrated. Freedom allows people to do what they want, live the best life they can, say what they want, live where they want, etc. Also, @ih8sharts , you can make an image show up on the homepage for your Debate by uploading an image to the Debate body.
    Thanks for the heads up on the image. However, I am somewhat technologically challenged.

I agree that freedom is an extremely important aspect of being human. That's why I am so disappointed that people allow their governments to chip away certain freedoms in the name of safety. This explains my refusal to vote for any fear mongering candidate.
    @joecavalry
    Never mind, figured it out. Cheers.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    Fundamentally, freedom increases the room for action, simultaneously increasing the room for mistake. It decreases the degree of order, simultaneously increasing the degree of uncertainty. Many people are not happy with this trade-off: as biological creatures, we are inherently opposed to taking risks, and most of us feel more comfortable when we aren't faced with the necessity to perform complex decision making with a lot of unknowns in our everyday life.

Unfortunately, the individual and societal growth happens to only occur rapidly exactly in more chaotic and uncertain environments. When we are deprived of choice, of uncertainty, of risks, then we accumulate little experience to learn from - this is where the term "statism" comes from, characterizing systems with increased focus on security as static, immobile, conserved in the bubble of security.

This is one of the catches-22 of our species. We need safety to be comfortable using our freedoms, but we cannot have those freedoms if we focus on safety.
    ih8shartsBaconToes
    MayCaesar said:

This is one of the catches-22 of our species. We need safety to be comfortable using our freedoms, but we cannot have those freedoms if we focus on safety.
    I guess you are right.Since humans are basically herd animals we still prefer to eat trampled grass in the safety of the herd over eating fresh grass by our self and risk getting eaten by a lion.
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    I will say completely and wholeheartedly that I want absolute freedom and believe me when I say I know how to achieve it without sacrificing security.

All spying on all at all times is the utopia that they don't want you to hear about because it is both sustainable and doable now that the Internet is becoming something we have on us at all times.
    I will say completely and wholeheartedly that I want absolute freedom and believe me when I say I know how to achieve it without sacrificing security.

All spying on all at all times is the utopia that they don't want you to hear about because it is both sustainable and doable now that the Internet is becoming something we have on us at all times.
    If you think "All spying on all at all times is the utopia," we have very different definitions of the word freedom. Sounds more like 1980s East Germany to me.
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    @ih8sharts It has never ever been done before. This is everyone spying back on those who are spying on them.