frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

There is no difference between eating of "pets" and "livestock"

Debate Information

This topic is intended to mainly revolve around "bosintang", or Korean dog soup. My view is that dog soup in itself is no different from beef stew or clam chowder, and it should not be treated any differently. Dog soup should not be demonized by society, and has no real moral or ethical reason to be opposed. The only plausible reason I can think of to oppose this practice is perhaps the sentiment that pet owners feel. Feel free to comment arguments below.
BaconToesNopeEmeryPearson

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• sadolitesadolite 39 Pts   -  
    i AGREE THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. Just because someone gets all emotional about a pet doesn't change the fact that it is a food source. If I am starving and your dog or cat is all there is to eat, I'm eating it. I choose what I eat when I am not starving. I choose to eat live stock when I am not. I will kill and eat your pets if I am starving. Welcome to the big old bad meany world. Pets are a luxury for people who live a privileged life. Sorry I had to break that to ya'll. You are in a minority on the planet if you have a pet dog or cat. They are farmed like live stock in more places than not around the world. I know, say it isn't so!! I have come to terms with it and acknowledge my privileged life here in America. Now you should to and realize that cats and dogs are a food source no matter much it upsets you. It is an absolute fact of life on planet earth and will be until the end of time.
    WokeWhaleEmeryPearson
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    You are correct - however, there is a difference between a pet dog and a wild dog. To illustrate this difference, ask yourself this question: is there a difference between your close family member dying, or some random person you have never heard of dying? 

Humans are social creatures, and we do not only socialize with each other. We also socialize with other animals, often taking them as pets, at which point they essentially become a part of our family. A faithful dog companion dying can cause as much heartache as a parent or a sibling dying. Slaughtering pets for food is not much better than slaughtering your own family members for food.

I realize, however, that I am picking on the semantics here. I agree with your general point.
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited June 2018
    There is in fact a distinction between a "Pet" and "Livestock".  While Livestock can be pets and pets can be livestock...one does not necessitate the other and are generally distinguished as separate.

Livestock are living assets on a Farm and generally make up a long list of specific species while pets can cross over onto this list but for the most part are separate and therefore different.

Lastly, eating a pet is eating something that has affection value to you personally and typically will result in negative emotions while eating livestock not considered to be a pet will not...that's the difference and the existence of one makes the two different.
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".