frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is peaceful religious liberty a right?

Debate Information

Of course. I support religious liberty for every peace loving individual since no one gets hurt. My issue is when anyone, Christian or otherwise violates the nonaggression principle that civil libertarians speak about, but I want to hear what you think. Even antitheists are welcome here. Jesus bless you.
  1. Live Poll

Is peaceful religious liberty a right?

1 vote
    1. Yes (why).
      100.00%
    2. No (why).
        0.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• GandGand 14 Pts   -  

I’m an atheist and I think that providing it causes no harm the freedom to hold  religious beliefs and to worship accordingly should be a right, as should the freedom not to hold religious beliefs.

DrCereal
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -   edited July 2018
    Universal declaration of human rights article 18:

"Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance."
    DrCereal
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    Religion is a system of beliefs. The freedom to follow and express one's beliefs is guaranteed by the human rights declaration - however, as any other freedom, this freedom can only be exercised in a way that does not infringe on other people's rights. Exercising one's religious beliefs peacefully does not necessarily satisfy this requirement. 

There is quite a few religious families out there that raise their children as religious, by forcing them to read the respective holy book, attend the Sunday church regularly and in other ways to follow the religion - often against their desire and will. It is peaceful in a way that violence is not involved, since the child complies by default, out of fear of punishment or resentment - but it strongly infringes on the kid's right to have his own system of beliefs, differing from that of their parents, among other things.

Follow the religion you like, and let others follow the religions (if any) they like, and in that case you are exercising your constitutional rights. Try to convert others into it through coercion - and you are infringing on their rights.
    WordsMatter