frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Portal 2 is a bad puzzle game (seriously)

Debate Information

Some people say this was the best game they have ever played, I can understand this since the coop of Portal 2 is nothing like I experienced before. But the campaign of this game... okay it is fun for like 3 minutes but... the puzzles feel like they were desinged for 2 year olds.

My first argument is how they add new mechanics and abandon said mechanics without exploring them properly. I never felt like I learned something new about the mechanics when I played portal 2. I was just coming into puzzle rooms, solving the puzzles in 2 microseconds and spending 1-2 minutes to execute the solution. In puzzle games, you want the execution part to be as short as possible. If you are making the execution part long, like in portal 2, you have to give the players a real challenge to keep the execution part fun when they finally solve the puzzle. 

Like in that one puzzle you get a cube, jump towards some doors and open the doors with placing the cubes on the buttons. What was the puzzle there? You have to move forward to even get to the last parts of the puzzle so there was literally one thing you can do. So, I ask you, what did I exactly "solve" there?

Or in another puzzle, where you meet the light bridge for the first time, you just have to use the light bridge to get to the cube, and then go back. What was the freaking puzzle? What did I even do that involves thinking?

Or the puzzle where you point 3 lazers through a single portal. "Oh! I never realised I could point 3 lasers through one portal! You enlightened me game!" or that one puzzle that makes you jump in a little section that has a literal height of 2 centimeters, yeah that wants a lot of brain-power to do. Or that puzzle with the grill that destroys your cubes. Oh that was REALLY hard. Let me demonstrate how hard it was: "How do you get a cube through a grill that destroys your cube? The answer is: You can not. There is a little hole to the side of it, you can go through there."

My second argument is the escape parts of the game... oh boy! How do I even start on these!? the conversation in the valve company probably went something like this:
- Oh Steve.. I just can not think of puzzles man! Do you have any ideas?
- Yes John! Why don't we make a section.. where they only walk!
- Umm.. I don't know Steve.. won't that be boring? And this is a puzzle game after all. People are here for the puzzles, you know?
- Simple solution: Let's add a comedic side-kick that assists the player! So they can laugh at his jokes and forget how terrible this game is!
- You are a genious Steve!

Nothing happens. You just walk and shoot portals on the only walls you can shoot portals on. Oh! Wait! There are speed sections! Oh they are so awesome and thrilling! You have to move at an astounding speed of 10 meters per hour to survive those
 I have to admit, Wheatley is charming and listening to his stories were nice. But for a game to be only depending on this character for a relatively large part of the game? That is just poor design.

I will admit there were two or three puzzles that had me thinking for a whole 10 seconds. But the numbers of these puzzles were so low and the worst part is; there were always easy little changes that could be done to the puzzle so it is a better puzzle. They literally just needed to change the colors of the wall for some of them.

If you want to see a game that makes good use of portal's mechanics and actually stumps you from time to time, play "Portal Stories: Mel" this game is what portal 2 should have been. It does not waste your time as much as portal and when it does, you actually say: "Oh thanks, I really needed a brake from those hard puzzles.". The only flaw in the game is the boss fight but that does not last very long anyways. 

1. Live Poll

Is Portal 2 a good game?

3 votes
    1. Yes, it is!
      33.33%
    2. I don't care tbh lol
      33.33%
    3. I detest it. This game is the embodiment of satan himself.
      33.33%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments