frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

The earth, spherical or flat?

Debate Information

Position: Against
This is a formal and structured debate between myself and the user name @Joeseph. I advocate that the earth isn't a ball, and is (mostly) flat. This is henceforth stated as the negative, or "against", and spherical earth will be known as the affirmative, or "for". Stipulations and rules of the debate as requested by @Joeseph are defined as:

1. Sources and images (including, but not limited to images of earth as a ball) are allowed until that source is found to be inacurate, or fraudulent beyond doubt. Then, in the event that a source is found fraudulent and the source is still used, it is up to the voter's discretion to decide if the source is invalid.

2. if you have links and sources to genuine sites that scientists and rational beings agree are sound in every way well that’s fine. (Pasted from here: https://debateisland.com/discussion/2345/is-humanity-getting-stupider/p3)

3. Since this is a scientific debate, experiments and basic observations must be allowed.

4. Posting links to sources is allowed, but may not constitute as a substitute for an argument.

Ad hominem attacks are discouraged, voters should recognize this when voting.

If any more rules and stipulations should be set forth, please let me know in the comments section, so that it can be adjusted @joeseph
Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer

Debra AI Prediction

Against
Predicted To Win
67%
Likely
33%
Unlikely

Details +

For:

0% (0 Points)

Against:

0% (0 Points)

Votes: 0

Debate Type: Traditional Debate

Voting Format: Moderate Voting

Opponent: Joeseph

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 48 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 7 Days

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Voting

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: Against
    ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited August 2018

After several hours of crickets from @joeseph's account in the comments section of this debate, I figure he'd started writing some sort of argument, or he ran away pouting because I destroyed his only "credible" source. In the case of the former, I do want to post an argument or two.

No photographs of the earth as a ball

Despite claiming to have gone to the moon in the late 60's when computing power was just a fraction of what we have today, and was admittedly a hoax, (source below) we still do not have a single conclusive image of earth.

Sure we have composites, where they fly HALE drones around and take a huge panorama of the flat earth and then wrap them around a ball, but none are conclusive and there should be tons of pictures, considering the number of alleged satellites allegedly orbiting the ball earth (which should be in some of those images, reflecting light from the sun).

Then we have the admission from Blue Marble 2.0's (which was on the Iphone as a stock wallpaper) creator, Robert Simmon.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/about/people/RSimmon.html

(I'm using this source to point out a contradiction, not because I find them credible)

...that "The last time anyone took a photograph from above low Earth orbit that showed an entire hemisphere (one side of a globe) was in 1972 during Apollo 17."

By now it is common knowledge that we didn't go to the moon, unless of course you put any credence to the paid apologetics. We saw what Buzz Aldrin had to say about that.

Then we have caught the astronots red handed faking images of a ball earth:

I could post the videos of the President, "Tricky " making a landline phone call, with seemingly no delay, to the men on the moon, but I won't waste my time pulling it, we all get the point.

(Again, see above note for usage of this source NASA)

So that leaves us with how many actual photos of earth? We're allegedly discovering new planets "light years away" but we can't get a live high rez cam on the moon (that is always "facing us") to see ourselves, available to any taxpayer who contributed to NASA's $1,000,000,000,000.00 (trillion, adjusting for inflation) bankroll since it's dubious inception, literally robbing billions of people for about a half a century.

This little known fact (there are no photographs of a ball earth) alone is evidence of a flat earth.

We see too far

One main tenant of the ball earth model that must exist IF the earth is a ball, is a degree of convexity on all bodies of water. This would mean water has a hump in the middle, between large distances. Aside from the obvious everyday observation that planes fly flat and level throughout most of the flight, (which is another point I will ellaborate on, time permitting) there should be a measurable drop to a ball that is 25,000 mile in circumference ball. For instance: Record holder for longest distance photographed:

https://beyondhorizons.eu/2016/08/03/pic-de-finestrelles-pic-gaspard-ecrins-443-km/

Pic Gaspard is photographed some 276 miles away from Pic de Finestrelles. Using the earth curve calculator with an observer height of 9,272 feet, which is the highest point on Finestrelles, an object 12,730 feet high and 276 miles away should be 3,270 feet below the horizon, impossibly out of view on the ball earth theory. This is over 1/2 mile of missing curvature.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pic_de_Finestrelleshttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pic_Gaspard

http://tjpeiffer.com/crowflies.html

https://dizzib.github.io/earth/curve-calc/?d0=273&h0=9272&unit=imperial

This is but one of many examples of missing curvature.

It's apparent now, that @joeseph cannot support his claims, and has no argument. When challenged, he hides in the comments section hoping I'll debate him there. If by chance he musters up some sort of argument, I will be back, but it is clear to me that his intellect is only limited to Google search results, and when any type of scrutiny is applied to those apologies, he drops any argument.
    Evidence
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • Round 1 | Position: For
    JoesephJoeseph 653 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat

Of course I can support ( I will play ) my claims but how the hell can I do so if I cannot post till Monday? , I’m on a different clock to you and I’m working weekend shift in my business , so tell you what if you want all the odds stacked your way you can hoot and holler and say “ I won , I won “ like a child .

Are you prepared to start again on Monday leave your opening remarks as is and we will get going , I’m free all next week , so do you want to go for it or not , I cannot say fairer than that can I ? 
  • Round 2 | Position: Against
    ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    Two forfeits is an automatic loss, you really want to make it a third?

Wayne Dyer
  • Round 2 | Position: For
    JoesephJoeseph 653 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat

Ah , right I get it , you get Aaron to pull my debate so you could set up another advantage for yourself by ignoring my stipulations , even then I said I will debate you starting Monday on account of limited time at the moment and you still want to go ploughing ahead and shriek like a child that you’re the winner because you know I will destroy your opening with one salvo and that will be that ....... Go ahead and get all your American buddies to block vote for you and claim “ I won , I won “ but that’s what you yanks do as in claim you won things like wars which yous haven’t done yet , haves yous ? That’s the yanks for ya 
    Erfisflat
  • Round 3 | Position: Against
    ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    Joeseph said:
    @Erfisflat

Ah , right I get it , you get Aaron to pull my debate so you could set up another advantage for yourself by ignoring my stipulations , even then I said I will debate you starting Monday on account of limited time at the moment and you still want to go ploughing ahead and shriek like a child that you’re the winner because you know I will destroy your opening with one salvo and that will be that ....... Go ahead and get all your American buddies to block vote for you and claim “ I won , I won “ but that’s what you yanks do as in claim you won things like wars which yous haven’t done yet , haves yous ? That’s the yanks for ya 
    Wrong again, I don't need to get AArong to delete debates in the Earth science community,I could have deleted it myself. Just to pacify your baseless accusations, here is a screenshot including everything said in PM between myself and the site moderator about that debate.

And the rest of your irrelevant verbal diarrhea red herring is ignored. You should probably be asking Google why you think you are a monkey on a spinning ball. The THIRD debate will be up in the morning.

Wayne Dyer
  • Round 3 | Position: For
    JoesephJoeseph 653 Pts   -   edited August 2018
    @Erfisflat

Yes , he deleted my debate with my stated stipulations ,  yet he let your one sit with your stipulations , so let’s be clear you want time zone advantages , you want your rules ( backed by American moderators ) and block voting by fellow American voters and yet you refuse my request to start the debate on  Monday ......Go yourself you cheating dog