frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Open Borders VS Border Security?

Debate Information

Do you believe that a country having open borders is a better policy than a country having border security?

1. Live Poll

?

8 votes
    1. Yes
      25.00%
    2. No
      75.00%
DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Nathaniel_BNathaniel_B 182 Pts   -  
    Open borders is never a good idea for a country. What we seen in Europe is what happens by having open borders, it would be best to have border security so people don't come in so easily. 
    ApplesauceGeorge_Horse
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

"It's not a gun control problem, it's a cultural control problem."
    Bob Barr
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6049 Pts   -  
    I do not believe these are mutually exclusive. You can have open borders, but with strong border security searching people for the presence of illegal import and cross-checking their identity with the database of wanted individuals in the country. This is the model I would strongly prefer personally.
    Agility_Dude
  • Agility_DudeAgility_Dude 62 Pts   -  
    I actually want to talk to someone who believes that we should have open borders. If anyone does that, please mention me in their argument so that we can talk.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1833 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:
    I do not believe these are mutually exclusive. You can have open borders, but with strong border security searching people for the presence of illegal import and cross-checking their identity with the database of wanted individuals in the country. This is the model I would strongly prefer personally.
    You could, but the size and cost of the police force to actually do so effectively would dwarf any cost of building the wall.
    Applesauce
  • ApplesauceApplesauce 243 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:
    It is a shame these countries drive their own citizens to risk their lives and die to leave, everything they have known, their relatives and culture.  how many can we sign you up for to take care of?  Can we tax you at 90%?  Oh you think they will find jobs?  Ok, so what about the youth and citizens that might want those jobs?  Don't care about them?  What would happen to the U.S. if there were suddenly 10 million people who enter the country with no skills, can't speak the language, doesn't know the culture, has virtually nothing and no place to live?  How would the school systems be able to handle such a burden?  What's the number of these people that can be absorbed responsibly w/o harming existing citizens?  But in all seriousness how does that help and fix the issue in those countries and what about those who can't or won't leave?  Why shouldn't we care about them as well?  I think enabling causes a bigger problem, causes more deaths and human trafficking.  The real solution is at the heart, root, beginning.....in their own country.  Fix that and everything else will be fixed.
    "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals
  • funpersonfunperson 66 Pts   -  
    By "open borders" I assume you mean free trade and free immigration, right? You can have very lax/nonexistent immigration and trade restrictions while still maintaining a strong national defense. After all, a country does need to be able to protect itself against an invasion.
  • ApplesauceApplesauce 243 Pts   -  
    funperson said:
    By "open borders" I assume you mean free trade and free immigration, right? You can have very lax/nonexistent immigration and trade restrictions while still maintaining a strong national defense. After all, a country does need to be able to protect itself against an invasion.
    can you have free trade without open borders?  I think he means no borders, but it is a bit vague.
    "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals