frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

On "What to expect before making that choice to walk with Christ".

Debate Information

Lately, I've noticed that many people (on this website) have been debating on Christianity and whether God really exists. Something that may answer your question(s) is a book. Not the Bible (although that would help), but The Pilgrim's Progress. The Pilgrim's Progress is one of the most widely read books in the English language. It is also often rated as important as the Bible, and it is a great book (trust me I read it). All of which that I have stated is also seen below, where I have placed the back-cover of the book for you to read as proof of what I say. If you do take my advice on reading the book, I hope that you enjoy it. Thank you

P.S. : If you have read this book, and only if you have, I would like for you to answer the poll so that the atheists (and non-believers in general) can see through your opinion whether The Pilgrim's Progress was sufficient to your knowledge of God or not. My last comment on this argument will help you better understand what I mean by "sufficient to your knowledge of God or not.".

ppd.jpg 33.6K

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• EvidenceEvidence 814 Pts   -  

Lately, I've noticed that many people (on this website) have been debating on Christianity and whether God really exists. Something that may answer your question(s) is a book. Not the Bible (although that would help), but The Pilgrim's Progress. The Pilgrim's Progress is one of the most widely read books in the English language. It is also often rated as important as the Bible, and it is a great book (trust me I read it). All of which that I have stated is also seen below, where I have placed the back-cover of the book for you to read as proof of what I say. If you do take my advice on reading the book, I hope that you enjoy it. Thank you

P.S. : If you have read this book, and only if you have, I would like for you to answer the poll so that the atheists (and non-believers in general) can see through your opinion whether The Pilgrim's Progress was sufficient to your knowledge of God or not.

Yes I read it, .. many times @TheNeophyte, ..  but before I answer, what do you mean by: "sufficient to your knowledge of God or not"?

Back when I was a Christian who believed and served the three Christian gods; father-god, sun-god (who I believed was the Godhead) and spirit-god and the Mother of the gods, the Queen of heaven Mary, this book was sufficient, .. until God opened my eyes to the history, the deep dark secrets behind the Christian Religion, and which god that I, and all the Christians were truly serving!?

Galatians 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.

I am referring to the main character in this book, whose name is: "Cristian".

Otherwise I highly suggest this book, but with a caution, just as with all the other (mostly good) Bible commentaries. Besides, this book by John Bunyan wouldn't make much sense to those who have not studied the Bible first.

God bless you on your journey, just make sure you find that "narrow path" first, which you will only find in the Bible.

Image result for pilgrims progress

@TheNeophyte ;
    I almost forgot, .. about the title of your O.P. "Here is the answer to those with questions about Christianity", .. which this otherwise good fictional book will NOT reveal about "Christianity". The book is a good example of "What to expect before making that choice to walk with Christ"

Luke 14:25 Now great multitudes went with Him (Jesus). And He turned and said to them,
    26 “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. 27 And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.
    28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it—
    29 lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him,
    30 saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish’?
    31 Or what king, going to make war against another king, does not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand?
    32 Or else, while the other is still a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks conditions of peace.
    33 So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple.

Mathew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. 26 Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight.
    27 All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.
    28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
    30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
  • TheNeophyteTheNeophyte 24 Pts   -  
    @Evidence , this is a reply to your second comment. I didn't really think about the title of my O.P., I was just thinking about what it was going to say. I will gladly take your advice and change the title to what you had suggested. Thank you.
    Evidence
    @Evidence , this is a reply to your first comment. What I mean by "sufficient to your knowledge of God or not", means multiple things. It could relate to whether it made you a stronger Christian, a firmer believer in God, helped you to better understand the consequences of your sins, helped you to better understand what the Christian faith is about, or whether it was helpful in your understanding or knowledge of the Christian faith in general. Anything related to the betterment of your understanding or knowledge of the Christian faith, anything at all, meaning whether you learned something from this book or not. I know I repeated myself, but I'm just trying to get you, and everyone else that reads this argument, to understand what I mean. Hopefully this helps you to answer the poll. Thank you
    @Evidence , this is a reply to your first comment. What I mean by "sufficient to your knowledge of God or not", means multiple things. It could relate to whether it made you a stronger Christian, a firmer believer in God, helped you to better understand the consequences of your sins, helped you to better understand what the Christian faith is about, or whether it was helpful in your understanding or knowledge of the Christian faith in general. Anything related to the betterment of your understanding or knowledge of the Christian faith, anything at all, meaning whether you learned something from this book or not. I know I repeated myself, but I'm just trying to get you, and everyone else that reads this argument, to understand what I mean. Hopefully this helps you to answer the poll. Thank you
    @TheNeophyte .. You didn't have to change the tittle, but it does ring a bit better don't you think!?
    And if the poll was working, I would click "yes".

You know friend, I just realized how many years have passed since I read the book, and boy, it gave me goosebumps again like when I read it for the first time.
    Yes my friend, I do suggest seekers of eternal life to read it, it sums up our walk in and with Christ, or will give the New seeker the right push, or challenge they may need! Ah, that John Bunyan to make them words dance for us like that!!

Here is a free version with really good commentaries in-between the chapters.

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Pilgrim_s_Progress.html?id=rKZKAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

I highly suggest my friend @Erfisflat to read it too, and if you can get your wife to read it, especially at the end mentions the women who touched our Lords heart the most, for they gave the most of what they had: "love" like the woman that washed Jesus feet with her tears, and wiped it with her long hair. It was also the women who felt the beauty, the purity of Jesus first, so yeah, .. I support my friend TheNeophyte on this 100% 

No matter where you are, either seeking, or broken to near death (like me) in your walk with Christ, .. whether you never read it, or like me, read it many times but many years have passed between reading it, .. read it again! Especially with what's going on in our world with Satan throwing all this New Technology our way, this addictive entertainment full of mind control symbolism and so on, .. this book is like a breath of fresh air out in the country at your favorite fishing spot no one knows about, .. you know what I mean?

I was going to say to "remember this is a fiction", .. but when I look back on my life (as I'm sure many others here too), man, I doubt anyone would believe half of it, let alone all of it!? It would sound more fiction then The Pilgrims Progress here. So actually the fiction parts, and them funny parts is what makes this book what it is, the most read book only second to the Bible.

Here is a children's version:
    https://www.amazon.com/Little-Pilgrims-Progress-Bunyans-Classic/dp/0802449247
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    Jesus is such a loving God, hy refuse Him?
    Evidence
  • TheocratTheocrat 69 Pts   -  
    Jesus hates the damned (Romans 9:13) and God has blinded and hardened them (John 12:36-41).  This is why liberal "Christianity" is failing.
    Evidence

I love you @YeshuaBought ; for your knowledge and interest in Scripture, but may I ask you to please show us, .. from Scripture where "Jesus is God"?

In the Christian Religion Jesus is cast as one of the three gods, specifically the sun-god, with the Pope as holiest-of-father-god, and the queen of heaven-Mary, in whose spirit Christians pray is the; spirit-god.

Also, if you could please show us all here of One instance, .. just one where God, who throughout the Bible appeared many times in many forms, but didn't identify Himself as 'God'?

And now show us where Jesus presented himself as God, .. ever?

I know my dear friend how difficult it is to "deny all for the sake of the Kingdom", .. but Jesus the son of God requires us to (Luke 14:25-33), otherwise we are none of his.

The great RCC Constantine-Christian Commission:
    In an aberration, the sun-god Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in space and on earth. Go therefore, taking the Emperors sword and make disciples of all the evolving human animal nations, baptizing them in the name of the holiest of Father, .. and of the sun and of the spirit of holy-Mary , teaching them to observe all things that the RCC have commanded you; and lo, I-am, the god of space and the billions of my planets I have created with the Big-Bang, am with you always, even to the end of the age, or until Revelation 20:1-4.

And all the Christians said: Amen.

The Christian Temple

Ephesians 5:6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not be partakers with them.

Look how already back in the Apostles time Religions and Doctrines of the antichrist were brewing: (Please notice the clear distinctions made between 'God the Father' and 'Lord Jesus Christ', .. (and not: the Christian gods-Father and Jesus Christ')

Galatians 1:3 Grace to you and peace from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Only One Gospel (and it's Not the Trinity)

6 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, 7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert[a] the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be [b]accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

10 For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.

Erfisflat
    @Evidence , yes, it does have a better ring to it. Thank you for being a part of this argument, and I'm glad you finally understand what I meant.
    Evidence
  • TheNeophyteTheNeophyte 24 Pts   -   edited August 2018

l

@YeshuaBought , I don't have anything against your comment. Although Jesus never calls himself 'God' in the Bible, he is still a part of the Trinity, which technically makes him God. I do agree that you should keep your opinions/beliefs to yourself, like 'Jesus is a loving God' meaning Jesus=God, which would go against other religions, but I respect your opinion/belief. I don't know why everyone has to find what's wrong with what someone else says on Debateisland.com, even though it might be fallacious. They didn't have to reply to your comment saying it was fallacious, or wrong, but that's the way it is on Debateisland.com. Thank you
    @TheNeophyte ;
    the whole idea of debate is so we can learn, argue against false claims, defend our faith that's based on evidence with substance, which the Trinity Doctrine does not have.

What do you believe, that Jesus is God?
    Thanks.