frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Sharing an article to encourage fair and equal debate.

Debate Information

Zombieguy1987

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    TTKDB said:
    That moment when a scientific study proves atheism is better than religion

I approve  
    WordsMatter
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987:

Do you view the article as being  fair and equal towards the atheist point of view?

The religious individual point of view?

Or is the article fair and equal towards it's own written founding?
    TTKDB said:
    @Zombieguy1987:

Do you view the article as being  fair and equal towards the atheist point of view?

I view the article as scientific study used to prove a hypothesis (In this case, are atheists more intelligent than religious people) and tested it and got results.

And no shocker, atheists are smarter because they accept the harsh reality of the real world while the religious makeup stories about a magic being to make their lives feel better
    ErfisflatJoeseph
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987:

What harsh truths are you tallking about? 

This statement from you, was present in the article? 

"And no shocker, atheists are smarter because they accept the harsh reality of the real world while the religious makeup stories about a magic being to make their lives feel better"

Didn't you say, (paraphrasing your words) that if the prisoners in jail were atheists, that those prisoners wouldn't be in jail? 

• TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987:

I understand that you view the article from this stance.

"I view the article as scientific study used to prove a hypothesis (In this case, are atheists more intelligent than religious people) and tested it and got results."

But you didn't address these questions:

TTKDB said:
    @Zombieguy1987:

What harsh truths are you tallking about? 

This statement from you, was present in the article? 

"And no shocker, atheists are smarter because they accept the harsh reality of the real world while the religious makeup stories about a magic being to make their lives feel better"

Didn't you say, (paraphrasing your words) that if the prisoners in jail were atheists, that those prisoners wouldn't be in jail? 

You have taken that whole atheist prisoner thing out of context. Just because 0.2%  of all prisoners in America are atheists doesn't mean much because, well, it's only 0.2%! Also, you didn't take into account false accusations. But you missed the whole point. Atheists know that there is no afterlife when they die, which leads to them taking less unnecessary risks, like drinking and driving. While the theist is told there is an afterlife and will take unnecessary risks, because their thought process is "Well even if this ends badly, I go to heaven."  
    Joeseph
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987

Will you please address these questions:

Zombieguy1987
    TTKDB said:
    @Zombieguy1987:

I understand that you view the article from this stance.

"I view the article as scientific study used to prove a hypothesis (In this case, are atheists more intelligent than religious people) and tested it and got results."

But you didn't address these questions:

it was made by Independent UK, of course going to try to be fair to both sides. They're pointing out the facts, it's just these facts side with atheism, like I sad, a harsh reality for theists 
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  

@Zombieguy1987:

An excerpt from the article: 

"Religious people are less intelligent on average than atheists because faith is an instinct and clever people are better at rising above their instincts, researchers have claimed. 

The theory — called the 'Intelligence-Mismatch Association Model' — was proposed by a pair of authors who set out to explain why numerous studies over past decades have found religious people to have lower average intelligence than people who do not believe in a god."

A curious thing about the article, it seems to be lacking any concurring quotations from some if any (religious individuals) who apparently weren't interviewed to give their views on this scientific study? 

It makes one wonder, why the lack of a religious individuals view on how they may have viewed the study? 

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5968 Pts   -  
    I do not think these "studies" are very scientific (unfortunately, nowadays a lot of what is called "sociology" actually has nothing to do with sociology) - however, the correlation is pretty obvious to everyone, as long as they have had, at least, some diversity of experiences. Go to any research facility, or writer's conference, or philosophers' club, or a law company, or a programming-based high tech company, or medical school - and you will barely see anyone following organized religion beyond, maybe, the point of "philosophical theism" ("I believe in the concept of god, but I do not think the god exists in the real world"). On the other hand, go to any remote land full of rural people who have never been outside their farms and whose everyday routine does not include any sort of intellectual effort - and the belief in god will be almost universal.

It has been a pattern throughout the history of humanity: people whose life involves more intellectual activities have always thought ahead of the curve, challenging the global preconceptions and putting new, refined, brave ideas forward. While those whose life involves much more physical labor or repetitive tasks mostly just conformed with older ideas that are easier and more comfortable to accept, but tend to represent a less practical outlook on the world.
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar:

What are your thoughts on religious scientists? 

If a religious scientist has a college degree just as the non religious scientist does, does that in a sense get diminished if a religious scientist has a college degree as well? 

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5968 Pts   -  
    @TTKDB

I have not met many religious scientists, despite having been in science for a long time. Those I have met belonged to one of the two groups: "philosophical theists" in the sense I described above, and those who genuinely believed in the existence of god, but had trouble reconciling their belief with their scientific knowledge and mostly trying to avoid having to deal with this contradiction by just not thinking/talking about it.

There is a lot of correlation involved, but not causation. A scientist can very well be religious, and it does not diminish his/her achievements in any way - however, it is becoming rarer and rarer.
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar:

"There is a lot of correlation involved, but not causation. A scientist can very well be religious, and it does not diminish his/her achievements in any way - however, it is becoming rarer and rarer."

I think some of man and not his view on religion, is an individual,  turning the word (intelligence) into a verbal weapon to maybe mentality wise place himself above other's? 

So an individual dissing another individual because of religious beliefs is sad.

Does that view of intelligence being used as a verbal weapon tiwatow others who are religious oriented make sense? 

I would comment on your part 2, but it's broken, but I'll say this:

"Well, It looks like this will be deleted by the end of the day"

• TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987:

Thanks for the bias warning Z
    TTKDB said:
    @Zombieguy1987:

Thanks for the bias warning Z
    Not my fault you post the same debate over and over again
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987:

And you respond with the same atheist bias each time. 

True or not?

You view the atheist as a better parent than the religious parent as well right? 

TTKDB said:
    @Zombieguy1987:

And you respond with the same atheist bias each time. 

True or not?

You view the atheist as a better parent than the religious parent as well right? 

I don't respond with an atheist bias.

I respond with the facts, which sometimes are in the atheist favour.

If the study proved that religious parents were better, I'd accept that because they tested their hypothesis and got the results.  
    Joeseph
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Zombieguy1987:

Where are your facts that the atheist parents are some how better than the religious parents?

Where are your facts that the atheists are smarter than the religious individuals are? 

Based upon how an atheist views the word intelligence? 

• JoesephJoeseph 653 Pts   -