frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Demand UPS provide Air Conditioning to all drivers

Debate Information

There is a petiiton signed by over 400,000 people on change.org to provide AC to all UPS drivers.  
https://www.change.org/p/demand-ups-provide-air-conditioning-to-all-drivers?source_location=discover_feed

After several days of working in the humid August heat in 2016, my husband woke up feeling ill. Hours later, he was in the emergency room and his kidneys were failing. My husband was re-hydrated and stabilized by a team of doctors. He was one of the lucky ones.

Drivers like my husband are at incredibly high risk during summer months, when temperatures in their trucks can climb to 180 degrees. As a result, they can face dehydration and heat stroke, which can have life-threatening consequences.”

I am certainly sympathetic to the UPS drivers, but I just have an issue with making it so one sided without performing due diligence.  I would have to believe that all mail carriers would install AC in every truck if that would have been necessarily.  If this petition would have been a debate, I would expect to see more facts.  Does FedEx, USPS have AC in all of their trucks? Is issue limited to just states where it gets really hot like Arizona? Are there compensating controls like fans or open windows that can be an alternative? Is there a medical opinion or study on this?

It will be good to hear both sides of this debate.  

I would agree that if there is enough support for this side then it should be legally regulated.  Just the facts aren’t clear.

1. Live Poll

Demand UPS provide Air Conditioning to all drivers

2 votes
    1. Yes
      50.00%
    2. No
      50.00%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6049 Pts   -  
    Advocating for governmental intervention in a private business based on public support is a very poor style of lawmaking and is an instance of an ochlocratic trends in the society.

Aside from this notion, it is, of course, bizarre that in 2018 the biggest delivery service in the US still features non-air-conditioned vehicles; in fact, it is strange that such vehicles exist at all nowadays. I am in support of an awareness campaign, coupled with the truckers publicly voicing their stance on the matter, which will eventually urge UPS to modernize their vehicle fleet in order to keep attracting investors.
    Zombieguy1987
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar, one other decision element is cost. I dont think it’s a UPS only issue and other carriers have a similar concern.  I know that mail carrier trucks optimize every penny of efficiency in their routes, so I can imagine that AC will add a bit of cost, especially with doors open all the time
    Live Long and Prosper