frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Do we have a moral duty to save a drowning child?

Debate Information

Philosopher Peter Singer asks this question of students ......One morning, I say to them, you notice a child has fallen in a pool and appears to be drowning. To wade in and pull the child out would be easy but it will mean that you get your clothes wet and muddy, and by the time you go home and change you will have missed your first class.

I then ask the students: do you have any obligation to rescue the child? 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph:

https://www.utilitarian.net/singer/by/199704--.htm.

Is this where you got the idea for your forum from? 
  • JoesephJoeseph 655 Pts   -  
    @TTKDB

Yes indeed , I like Peter Singers philosophy 
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph:

So in light of his question, what would you do? 
    @TTKDB

What I would do will be revealed eventually, I’m more interested in what members of D I think if you have no opinion on the matter then you may move onto another debate 
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    @Joeseph:

Yes, without question, you save a drowning child.

Or if an individual can't swim, call 911, or try to get someone to help the drowning child. 

Regardless if someone misses a class or their clothes get wet or muddy. 

@TTKDB

Thats fine , do you think we have a duty to save all children from dying unnecessarily? 
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    Depends on the situation really.

Joeseph
    @Zombieguy1987

Yes , I agree 
    Zombieguy1987
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    I do not think "moral duty" is something that should be treated as a valid entity. Doing something because you feel that you have to, and not because you want to, diminishes the value of this action, making it a result of a compulsion and not of a free choice.

The real question that should be asked here is: would you save the drowning child? For me, the answer would be "probably yes", but I cannot know for sure until I have actually been in that situation.

piloteerZombieguy1987
  • I would save the child. I could care less about the mud and water. Will dry while I walk
    cheesycheese
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln