frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

The Midterm Elections

Debate Information

I was supposed to do this yesterday. As you may know, on Tuesday, we had that historic midterm election, with younger people aged 18 and over participating more in election since 2014. The Democrats won the house, but the Republicans won the senate (thank goodness). Now, who do you think should have won the elections in your state? And national wise? Should the democrats or republicans have won? List your arguments here. Let us have a civil and peaceful debate on this splendid Friday. 

Nathaniel_B
  1. Live Poll

Who did you want to win?

5 votes
    1. The Republicans
      80.00%
    2. The Democrats
        0.00%
    3. Another party
      20.00%
  2. Live Poll

(Florida residents) Andrew Gillum or Ron DeSantis?

5 votes
    1. Ron DeSantis
      80.00%
    2. Andrew Gillum
      20.00%
  3. Live Poll

Who should have won?

5 votes
    1. The Democrats
        0.00%
    2. The Republicans
      80.00%
    3. Another party
      20.00%
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    Globally, I wanted the Democrats to win the Senate, and the Republicans to win the House. I have zero love for Democratic party in its current state, but its potential ability to contain Trump and some of his impractical policies (such as the tariff policies) make their small minority in the Senate preferable at the moment. And the Republicans should have taken the House, because when it comes to domestic economy, they simply have things right (or as close to "right" as the current political climate allows).

In my state (Indiana), we had solid runners from both parties. The Republican candidate Mike Braun won, but the Democratic candidate Joe Donnelly was not bad either - he is constantly accused of being "a Republican in disguise", because largely he has the same economical views as Braun, just slightly different social views. Not that it affects anything significantly; we currently have a pretty competent governor who is really starting making our infrastructure look like we are not on Midwest anymore, and who largely leaves businesses alone.

I am fine with how things played out, but I wish the Republicans got the House, regardless of who gets the Senate. As it is now, the Congress will probably just be in a state of permanent lockdown - which is better than some alternatives, but... hardly ideal either. Oh well, in two years the standstill is likely to end. Unless Trump or another clown-populist wins the presidential election again and the opposing party will refuse to have any dealings with him-her... Let us hope not.
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar I would have thought you would prefer the Democrats getting the house over the Republicans, given that the Republicans win the Senate. The market got a massive boost because investors prefer a divided government.
  • ken285ken285 3 Pts   -  
      Affiliation with democrat or republican parties is non sensical!!! Neither are the party of the people! They are both run by big money and both have little respect or interest in a true democracy! We are seeing a repeat of the gilded age when big money was not hiding from the people but in their face, especially politically!!! The people are made to feel they have some control thru the election process but in reality it's a 50% voter participation rate! Half of america is apathetic and have already relinquished any prospect of real change! This is not true however in local politics generally and the more local, the more it's true! So what changed back then in the gilded age? A world war!! A world war always brings a nation together. War on poverty, war on drugs, war on the envronment, war on terror and so on! But the big war always cures them all! People in america have lost all respect for what matters. Now it is playing out in the last arena of protection we all have, government! We have become an atheist society with no respect for ideals, no respect for family, for our national symbols, no respect for the presidency, for human life or each other! We have no limiting options other than world conflict! This mirrors very closely the years preceding WW1. A war which we chose to participate in! Or WW 2 when we were prevoked! It's been less than 75 years since WW2. This time a world war will be much more personal! We have been blessed to be protected by two very large oceans but today, in the realm of weaponry to be used, those oceans become puddles! Any aggression we become a part of, by choice or by provocation, will be felt by all americans! If we chose war in our political system we are doomed to suffer the ultimate war, a war against all humanity!!!
    Nathaniel_BPolaris95cheesycheese
  • TTKDBTTKDB 267 Pts   -  
    I think that when the millions of citizens who vote, whether the voting takes place in one day, or a number of weeks out, that the votes should be accounted for without a conflict, disruption, or a controversy, toI harass or interfere with the spirit of the election cycle.

And at the end of the election day, the results are all in, and the citizens can find out what political representatives won their respective offices without a delay, aside from the possibility that a remaining election may require an automatic recount because the vote margin was narrow. 

• Filler text so the page isn't completely screwed up by the debra glitch.
    Zombieguy1987
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • Nathaniel_BNathaniel_B 182 Pts   -  
    As a black man, I believed in the Republicans. After the things that happened this year, I would have already expected the Democrats, if they won, to implement foolish policies, like gun control, abolition of I.C.E, and some other things. I ain't like them Democrats, they is there to deceive people, and I ain't no Trump supporter, but I know my stuff. Glad the Republicans still have the senate! 
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

"It's not a gun control problem, it's a cultural control problem."
    Bob Barr
  • cheesycheesecheesycheese 79 Pts   -  
    As a black man, I believed in the Republicans. After the things that happened this year, I would have already expected the Democrats, if they won, to implement foolish policies, like gun control, abolition of I.C.E, and some other things. I ain't like them Democrats, they is there to deceive people, and I ain't no Trump supporter, but I know my stuff. Glad the Republicans still have the senate! 
    how is it foolish to ban a killing machine
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    @cheesycheese ;

Do you know what two biggest killing machines in history are, in terms of the total death count? Political correctness aside, let me spell them right here:
    1. Religion
    2. Government
    Is it foolish to ban these two things? You tell me. ;)