frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

No leftists, the Bible is NOT bigoted. Change my mind.

Debate Information

Leftists like to play the victim whenever someone disagrees with their agenda.
SilverishGoldNovaAlofRIPolaris95Zombieguy1987Plaffelvohfencheesycheese

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
56%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    The Bible has countless passages prescribing treating those who do not believe in God (that is those who disagree with you) badly. For example:

2 John 1:9-11 ESV / 775 helpful votes

Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.
    Treating those who disagree with you poorly, that is intolerance towards those who disagree with you, is the very definition of the term "bigotry".
    PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987AlofRIYeshuaBoughtSilverishGoldNovaPolaris95
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    Religious bigotry in America 

Those who are Christian, even if they’re not a good politician will be voted more than atheist who is a good politician, and are less trustworthy than a RAPIST!!!

WHO in their right mind thinks “You know... Atheists are less trustworthy that rapists” #Religiouslogic 
    PlaffelvohfenAlofRIPolaris95
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    I wish people would stop shoving the Bible between the left and the right. There are just as many Christians on the left, and, I can't say for sure, but I believe the majority on the left to be more devout. The Christians on the right are majority white, the left is far more diversified. Blacks and Hispanics are  far more serious and less concentrated on ONE subject, less determined to rewrite the Constitution to follow an ancient book. Less determined to make the U.S. a single religion country (like Iran?). It was not intended to be! In the Constitution and Bill of Rights, there is NO mention of the Christian God, just the "Natural god" and "our creator", PURPOSELY. "Our creator" is whatever you consider it to be, For ME, it was my mother and father, and maybe the "natural god", Mother Nature.
    Zombieguy1987Plaffelvohfen
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar You are a Christian hating bigot. That is hate speech to hate Christians and the Bible. Are you some sort of a leftist?
    Zombieguy1987AlofRIPlaffelvohfen
    @AlofRI I agreed that the Bible is neither left nor right, and neither am I, BUT, it is mostly leftists attacking the Bible.
    AlofRIPlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987
    @Zombieguy1987 Muslims are bigoted in general. If we can call the Bible hate speech, we can do the same with the Quran.
    Zombieguy1987SilverishGoldNova
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -   edited February 2019
    @YeshuaBought

It is interesting to receive such an aggressive response to a quote from your holy book. I thought the Bible was the word of god? Are you defying the god?

I also believe that the Bible teaches compassion and peace of the inner world. Not getting upset every time you disagree with something.

Perhaps an atheist like me actually knows more of the Bible, than you do.
    Zombieguy1987PlaffelvohfenPolaris95
    @MayCaesar I have the right to free speech.
    Zombieguy1987Polaris95
  • Zombieguy1987Zombieguy1987 471 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar I have the right to free speech.

Yet other times you block people who disagree with you like @Ampersand

Polaris95
    @YeshuaBought

I do not remember claiming otherwise. You can say what you want. Does not mean that what you say always makes a lot of sense, however.

I quoted something from the Bible. You did not like the passage, so you accused me of hating the Bible. You do not see the irony of this, do you?

I actually do not hate the Bible; in fact, I find it very interesting and revealing from the historical perspective. It gives us a lot of insight on how people thought at the time.
    You are the one flipping out every time someone criticizes your religion, so I think you are projecting when attributing strong feelings towards the book to others.
    Zombieguy1987PlaffelvohfenPolaris95
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought ….."It's mostly leftists attacking the Bible" It's mostly rightists using the Bible when a huge number of them just think it's the thing to do, like Trump. I find that black people and Hispanics are far more devout than "most" white churchgoers. Most of them are leftists. Few of them attack the Bible. I'm an Atheist and a leftist, I don't attack the Bible or the Qur'an or any other religious book. I voice my belief about them. I'll defend my belief about them, but, if I've ever "attacked" them it was not my intention. I do believe they are myth, at best. 
    Thomas Jefferson said:" We discover, in the Gospels, a groundwork of vulgar ignorance, of things impossible, of superstition, fanaticism and fabrication."
     That's closer to an attack than I would go, but, I agree with him. I wouldn't say it in that manner, but I agree. Too many people rely on those Gospels and I feel, for the most part, that's okay. Most are good people. Still, there are many who USE those Gospels to control, to get rich, to literally force things their way. Even to start wars. I  think we would be no worse off without them. Education, common sense and the compassion in MOST people would be better for the world than warring religions. After all, things you said above, attacking the Qur'an, would kind of piss-off a Muslim.?? 

Zombieguy1987
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited February 2019
    2 Chronicles 15:13: Anyone who does not seek Christianity must be killed. You know what, **** it, If even one person in a town is non-Christian, all residents must be killed (Deuteronomy 13:13-18).

Isn't the bible a wonderful collection of scrolls written by insane people living in the desert thousands of years ago? 

PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
    I have asked believers this question many times, and nobody has ever given a satisfactory response.

It is believed among Christians that the Bible was either written by god, or written by people commanded by god.
    However, the Bible has changed dramatically over the years. Its earliest versions were incredibly barbaric from the modern perspective, supporting such things as selling one's daughter into slavery. And while its modern versions are no rainbows and unicorns either, they are much softer than before.

The question is then: "If the Bible is the god's word, then how come it has changed over time?"

There are a few possibilities:
    1) The god's word, that is his/her/its opinion, changed over time. 
    2) Only the modern version of the Bible is true, while all the previous versions were twisted by heretics.
    3) This is a lie: the Bible has always been the same, and the historians and archaeologists have faked the evidence of the opposite.
    Maybe there are more possibilities, but I cannot think of anything plausible.

Now, in these cases, respectively:
    1) How do you know that the god's word will not change in the future, if it changed in the past multiple times? Is there the single objectively true word, or is every word subjective? In the former case, the god obviously cannot be trusted, as he does not always say the true word. In the latter case, the god is just like any one of us, a guy/girl/creature with a subjective opinion, and there is no reason to listen to him/her/it any more than to any one of us.
    2) In this case, how do you know that the modern version is true? Maybe it has also been twisted by heretics, and the "true" Bible will never show up on Earth. Obviously you cannot trust the current version of the Bible.
    3) Aside from this being a wild conspiracy theory, how do you know that the current version of the Bible has not been faked by the historians and archaeologists either?

Pretty much any possible scenario leads to the conclusion that the modern Bible cannot be verified to be the god's word and can easily be a forgery. And that bodies ill for Christians, as it essentially makes them all into heretics. Bigger heretics than even Atheists, since Atheists do not follow any religious teachings, while Christians follow heretical teachings.
    Polaris95PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987
  • Polaris95Polaris95 147 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar

That's an incredibly sound argument I hadn't really thought about much before. If the Bible is supposed to be the truth, God's word, then why has it been revised and changed repeatedly throughout history? 
    Zombieguy1987MayCaesarPlaffelvohfen