frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should there be Safe Injection sites?

Debate Information

I have a child who is a heroine addict and although  I would feel a lot better if my child used such a site; I am against them.

I believe that havingvsuch sites would make my child feel safer using  therefore taking away one of the major incentitives my child b has used for attempting  to quit in the past.  

Tell me what you think.  

Am I wrong?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• billbatardbillbatard 133 Pts   -  
    actaully the jury is still out in reality i'm ambivelent i have heard mixed things
    The passion for destruction is also a creative passion. Mikhail Bakunin

• billbatardbillbatard 133 Pts   -  
    I'm not sure you are wrong..the priority should be to get people to quit not easier to stay a junkie.. but maybe once there they could talk to them
    The passion for destruction is also a creative passion. Mikhail Bakunin

• YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    I am praying for your child. Any addiction, chemical or otherwise, is tough to beat. I am addicted to smoking tobacco, and addicted to caffeine products, and I know heroin is very addictive, so I do support safe injection sites, I guess.
  • AmericanFurryBoyAmericanFurryBoy 531 Pts   -  
    We got trip sitters for a reason
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • BrandyKnightBrandyKnight 62 Pts   -  
     With drugs like herioin and meth, there is no such thing as a safe injection site. It doesn't matter where they are.

I have a step daughter who was a successful and thriving mortician who started on pills and has moved on to heroin and meth. She has no job, no home, no car, and has been arrested on meth charges all in the period of 1 year. I have a cousin who is an addict who lives on the streets, has overdosed several times and is in and out of jail. He is a heroin and meth addict with 3 children. His girlfriend has 7 children by 6 different fathers. Each of them born addicts themselves. They are all split into different homes while she lives on the streets with him as an addict. My own children have lost 4 school friends to overdoses. Each from good homes and each dying with a needle in their arms alone in the past 2 years. We are from a small towns north of Nashville. The ex-Mayor's son died from an overdose himself in another state. No one is immune.  
    CYDdharta
  •  With drugs like herioin and meth, there is no such thing as a safe injection site. It doesn't matter where they are.
    It is impossible to say this. Yes you have anecdotal evidence but it may help other people. If a heroin addict was near a safe site then they might consider using it.all4actt said:

I believe that havingvsuch sites would make my child feel safer using  therefore taking away one of the major incentitives my child b has used for attempting  to quit in the past.  

Tell me what you think.  

Am I wrong?

I think you are wrong. You say it would take away one of your childs major incentives for attempting to quit in the past. This means your child has failed in the past to quit in the past because of the dangers of unsafe injection sites, which further means your child does not care if this danger is present, otherwise they would have quit already. It is therefore possible that your child and many others may benefit from safe injection sites but ONLY AS PART of a medical plan to help in other ways. For example, your child could have some form of counselling but while awaiting the benefit of that, you know that your child has at least a chance of increased safety.

Overall, an addict is going to be an addict no matter what danger is present and so a safe injection site at least gives a slight protection.
    PlaffelvohfenCYDdharta
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1833 Pts   -  
    It's about as useless as sanitizing the floor of a gambling house where people are playing Russian Roulette.
    AlofRI
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -   edited September 2019
    My doctor seems to think my butt is a safe injection site. To me it's just a pain in the .

OMG! Debra thinks my butt is 72% substantial. I would like to get that down to 50% ;-)