frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

WHAT SHOULD WE DO ABOUT MINIMAL AMOUNT OF HELP FOR THE MENTALLY ILL IN THIS COUNTRY

Debate Information

Having a chil who is mentally ill my husband I broke the bank trying to get him the help he needs.

Now as an adult when my child decides to go sober and attempts to get help from mental services it takes too long to get my child can get in before he has one of his break downs and ends up on drugs again and on the streets.

Another problem is a story of a parent s with an 8 year old who has already been put on a 5150 hold (5150 is someone who is considered to be a danger to ones self or others ).  Even after this hold they are still having trouble getting him into the mental health system.  They also are having trouble finding affordable assistance for thier son 
I think there needs to do more done for this population 

New programs to not only get help for people that are mentally but there needs to be programs to educate families about how to help thier loved oned, especially the parents of juvinles

Any ideas as to what can be done to improve these difficulties and get people c to wakeuo to this problem?

Whatdoyouwantfromme

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Alabama_CowboyAlabama_Cowboy 2 Pts   -  
    kill all the mentally ill
    PlaffelvohfenYUpeeping777Whatdoyouwantfrommeall4actt대왕광개토
  • all4acttall4actt 315 Pts   -  
    What kind of answer is that?

It is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. 
    Whatdoyouwantfromme
  • AmericanFurryBoyAmericanFurryBoy 531 Pts   -  
    Throw money at the problem. This is the one and only time that’ll work
    Whatdoyouwantfrommeall4actt
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • YUpeeping777YUpeeping777 48 Pts   -  
    It is truly sheen how we treat the mentally disabled all around the world in the USA you’re 16 times more likely to go to jail due to your mental instability and cognitive reasoning we used to have a place but we cast Them aside. 
    Our veterans will come back from horrific wars are living on the streets homeless we shell shock syndrome which we now call PTSD it is shameful ,  how are patriots are treated after water but they rather just give up a bunch of medicine which does nothing but, exacerbate the situation. Only way you can get a person in A psych ward now is if their baker act , Marchman act, or an ex-parta! For the government to turn Their backs on their own troops and their health and welfare is ludicrous and there always pushing others around So the only way they get help is to get arrested and then the veterans that should honor are sent to prison for mental issues Deplorable this must change as many people in my family have also put their lives down for the liberty and freedom that we have here in America and also we’re not completely compensated correctly just not there problem after they return as a civilian  A month before they came home they were in battle for the lives and soon as I get off the plane or battle cruiser their normal citizens and our government just doesn’t seem to care because the Walter Reed issue we put value on honor and faith I thank every veteran for Laying down their lives and liberties down for our country  and being able to put them selves country before themselves. Heroic at the least.  And then there is the gentrification and disenfranchisement which is also deplorable and this would be a nurture and nature issue no one to love them no one to care for them and no one to help them grow and learn so children unfortunately develop mental disorders it is growing problem I believe in Maslow and Rogers  nurture and nature and in the same case instead of having hospitals open for simple petty possession of drugs that are used to cope with life in horrible conditions instead of going to get help they send  them to privatized prisons I don’t believe in Scientology but I do believe in their approach about mental issues therapy rather than drugs love will cure the world. By the way It’s very offensive Mr. Alabama You Obviously have never had to put your life in the hands of Another person and them do the same it’s a brotherhood the arm forces and you have to have that morale to come out alive just a great expression of the human race This is what humanities come to ignorance of intolerance and love.  A lot of people just don’t care hate poisons.Silence the angry man with love. Silence the with truth. Quote from Buddha
    Bless the world and with love and peace unity is possible. 

The good book says that the Meek shall inherite the earth. World peace through  inner peace. Quote from the Dalai Lama

all4actt
    Through tolerance people like you Are forgiven you Can’t fix stupidly and ignorance. 
    Whatdoyouwantfrommeall4actt대왕광개토

Through tolerance people like you Are forgiven you Can’t fix stupidly and ignorance. 

I see the algorithms can’t understand pure hateful thoughts He should’ve lost points as a bit of education for you Deborah
    all4actt
  • billbatardbillbatard 133 Pts   -  
    kill everyone opposed to mental health
    Whatdoyouwantfromme
    The passion for destruction is also a creative passion. Mikhail Bakunin

• billbatardbillbatard 133 Pts   -  
    meh uselss eaters
    Whatdoyouwantfrommeall4actt
    The passion for destruction is also a creative passion. Mikhail Bakunin

• We need to have more insurance companies hold out for a longer time when people go to residential treatment. We canot control who is mentally ill and who isnt but we can help. A big percentage of teens suffer with mental illnesses. We need to spread awarness and be informative about how mental illnesses affect us. We have all these fundraisers for cancer and poverty but not enough we need them for mental ilnesses GET PEOPLE TO STOP AVOIDING 
    yupeeping777 

You are correct about the lack of good mental health care for our vets.  I too have vets in my family who suffer from some sort of ptsd and medication is not the answer for them.

cowboyfury

Your correct in your assertation that it is something that needs money thrown at.it.  It is a problem thar affects society in so many ways that it doesn't make since that our government isn't putting more money towards treatment of mental health issues.

as for billbbatart and Alabama_Cowboy

Your remarks are not even worth responding to.  

whatdoyouwantfromme
    It would help if insurance companies were more helpful but mental illness is a lot of time a life time battle and how many insurance companies wouldn't survive the cost of long term residential treatment.

I am not usually a proponent of govermental programs but this is one case in which the government really needs to take a more active role.

They need to start with making more comprhensive mental health obtions for our mentally ill children more available and free or at least affordable. 

I also think there should be more comprehensive mental health given to prisoners with follow up requirements to follow treatment plans as part of thier probation and medication dispenseraries to make sure they are taking thier meds correctly.

• Nea729Nea729 2 Pts   -   edited August 2019
    It would really help if mental health treatment did not involve ignoring the problem. As someone who was held in a high-risk psychiatric ward, I really hated how I was literally locked up because my mental instability was a threat to myself and others, but the entire time I was there my on-site psychiatrist and therapist forbade me from mentioning my personality disorder in group therapy. Every time I talked one-on-one with anyone at the hospital (a nurse, a doctor, or counselor) I was treated with little to no individualism. It seemed that none of them had any interest in my personal wrongdoings, suffering, or experiences. They talk about self-care and self-improvement but as someone who is mentally ill, I feel no sense of identity or dignity during "treatment". I can't even begin to work on myself or understand what I need to do when my existence is treated as irrelevant to my mental condition. I'm just considered an anomaly within the population that ought to be watched carefully. 
    Nea729

Please try and find a psychologist (and I specify a psycologist not a psychiatrist b/c most psychiatrist deal mostly with medication issues and testing rather than talk therapy and behavioral techniques) that will help b you with whatever issues you maybe struggling with.  A good one will help you with coping techniques and if they feel medications would help you will refer you to a psychiatrist for your medicine needs while keeping you under their care.

In our area if you cannot afford regular visits to one there are agencies setup that will charge you on a sliding scale.  Also if you have been diagnosed with a mental disorder a lot of insurances consiser it a medical condition and cover it the same as a medical doctors vist.

If you have problems navigating all this feel free to contact me privately and I wiil try and help you through it.
  • JoshBaileyJoshBailey 37 Pts   -  
    On the legal side of matters, we need drastic increases in the number of tax dollars we spend in order to provide mental health as part of government-sponsored health insurance. This could be done through the medicare for all initiative or similar plans, but it needs to be overhauled and fully funded, in order for help to be provided to anyone and everyone. On a side note, we also need more regulations in the mental wellness and addiction treatment fields. Often, these industries can lead to predatory business strategies that do not actually help the issues they claim to treat. Instead, we see individuals repeatedly return to rehabilitation centers because the treatments do not work. On a federal level, we need to impose treatments backed by medical science that is verified to be effective. This will reduce cost and increase efficiency. 
    joshbailey

You are right about needing more reasorces and money targeted at treating the mentally ill and  drug rehabs.

Your incorrect about most drug rehabs being inaffecttive.  The problem isn't generally with the program it is with the addict themselves.  Very few addicts stay off drugs after their first try.  Most take several tries before they really get it that they can't even try it one more time and not get caught up in the addiction again.  

Also as a general rule 30 day programs just don't work.  Addicts generally need more time to be off drugs and get their issues worked out before going back and dealing with their real life situations.

Another problem is when people are pushed into rehabs and they haven't hit rock bottom and really don't want to go. 

As for  Medicare for all plans I am not a fan. I believe it would ba a finacial drain on or government that can't be paid for without raising the taxes on not just the rich but also severly on everyone.  Also I am pretty sure if you have mental health problems severe enough you can qualify for disability which than would qualify you for Medicare. I do know that people I know that have Medicare but for reasons mare than  having more than one vehicle in a household can restrict them from Medicade which helps cover what Medicare doesn't.  This requires them to get additional private coverage to help pay for what Medicare doesn't.  There are numerous other reasons that I won't devle further into at this time.
    @all4actt

I understand the apprehensions of medicare for all, and for the sake of the original topic, even though I am a supporter of the idea. I will not comment further on that.  

As far as rehabilitation centers, they are very few regulations for what classifies as "Therapy", and these vary depending on the state you reside in. I understand some facilities do provide excellent care, but from multiple private connections basically living in these centers,  the treatment can vary greatly depending on location and facility. Its a problem in both mental health and rehabilitation, but especially in rehabilitation centers, we need concrete plans proven to be effective, not a varying scale of care depending on the certain facility. 
    joshbailey

Don't you think different types therapy work for different people?

Having a child that suffers with bi-polar and drug addiction I have had problems in the past getting him into a program that treated what they refer to as duel diagnosis patients.  I actually had one reject him after he had been there a week because they were not setup to help people with mental health issues.  This shocked me seeing as a good population of the drug addicts do have some type of mental health issues.  That was the last facillity that I was able to get him checked into.
    So I agree that there needs to be some changes in  rehabilitation facilities but I don't know that there is a one type of structure or technique that would work for everyone.  I really wish there were.

To bring it back to topic which is mental health care.  I think we need more programs that are put together that are setup to assist family members and patients to receive a comprhensive treatment plan and when necessary help in the cost to be able to follow the plans.  

Early intervention is the best way to curb future problems but unfortunately not always successful.

So I ask what do you feel are the best strataies that need to be taken to help our ever increasing numbers of mentally ill people?

@all4actt ;
    I do acknowledge that there are varying therapy types for various illnesses, and there is not a one-stop-shop for mental illness, but without any regulation, you can find rehabilitation centers who could care less of their effectiveness. 

I actually feel a major part to rehabilitation in particular needs to stem from re-educating the individual how to enjoy themselves without the drugs in question. I also agree that there need to be more programs meant to build a person's network, for friends and family members to learn how to help the person transition. 

As far as mental health, I feel it is not as much that the actual numbers are increasing but that we now understand mental health better, allowing for more people to be diagnosed. In the past, with a simpler understanding of the subject, how many mentally ill people went without treatment or care due to a lack of understanding of the subject? Even if this is the case, we should still strive for the best care for any person needing assistance. These strategies, I feel, need to come from hundreds or thousands of psychologists and psychiatrists working with lawmakers to enforce regulations they deem to be fruitful, with a yearly review of effectiveness to ensure outdated practices to be phased out entirely. Perhaps a new branch within the Department of Health and Human Services dedicated to crafting, drafting, enforcing, and reviewing regulations over mental health providers to ensure quality care. 
  • 대왕광개토대왕광개토 235 Pts   -  
    We have to raise awareness about mental illness more so that scientists can work out how to solve mental illness. In addition, government should fund these scientists and mental service so that patients with mental illness can receive improved service while waiting for the scientists to figure out the solution to mental illness.
  • 대왕광개토대왕광개토 235 Pts   -  
    @Alabama_Cowboy Only simple minded dumbass says that.
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    Social attitudes towards mental illness is what drives the lack of mental health resources. The leading factor is the stigma associated with mental illness. If that changes, more resources will become available, as well as more research for treatments for people with mental illness. Perhaps you could come up with a catchy hashtag regarding mental health awareness and have it go viral.       
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    A lot of problems in society arise from people being prejudiced against the unknown. Most of the mental illnesses actually do not debilitate the person in any meaningful way, and you can absolutely interact with them on equal terms - however people often are not willing to do so, because they have a heap of expectations on what the "normal" behavior should look like. If someone talks a little bit funny, or maybe jerks their head uncontrollably every few seconds, then suddenly talking to them is inconvenient and odd. While if you think about it rationally, what is really odd? Several visual effects? It does not effect the interaction in any meaningful way, so why not drop the expectations and just accept the person the way they are?

This does not just apply to people with mental illnesses, but to all kinds of "otherness": race, nationality, gender, age, et cetera. People tend to stick to their small social bubbles based on some superficial similarities between their members, ignoring the rich world outside.

I am the kind of person that will walk up to a group of Chinese people and strike a conversation. Yet most other people will feel strange doing so, as if they do not belong, and even if they do so, the conversation will be an oddity. And the Chinese themselves will mostly talk to each other and not invite anyone into their circle.

I believe that simply discarding prejudices and judging everyone based on their merit alone will already solve almost all problems induced by mental illnesses. The rest can then be tackled by doctors and charitable donors, but nothing is going to be effective until people collectively agree that "deviations" are not a big deal.
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @all4actt

Dedicate as much taxpayer funding to fully address the issue without any more failure.

Instead of the year after year, taxpayer dollars, going to this or that country?

If the lawmakers in the United States, properly balanced their budgets, the funding for mental health care could get fair and equal attention?

Instead of just mostly talking about it, or watching the poor and the homeless, living their lives out on the Public streets like they do in front of the other citizens, who live in those same neighborhoods, as the poor, and homeless do? 

Shouldn't we as US citizens, be able to do more and address the mental health as properly as possible?

Because I don't get the disconnect, in why the mental health conversation, shouldn't be a thing of the past already? 
    @MayCaesar

Your correct that there are people with mental illness' that can function in society some with treatment some without.  There are also many who can not function in society without help.It is the ones who need the help but are unable to get access to adequate care.  This is the issue that needs to be addressed.As for people that deviate from the "norms" by choice are not necessarily mentally ill and as long as they are not hurting any unwilling participants or people who do not have the cognitive ability to make the choice of being a willing participants then as far as I am concerned they are fine.

Whatever makes you happy right?

@TKDB

I think the reason this isn't a conversation of the past is because it is not a conversation people want to have, especially politicians.  Politicians don't have the answers and don't want to take the time to get them. The things that need to take place would not yield any instant results that could be easily monitored.  The changes would have to be studied over a generation to prove their affectiveness on society as a whole.

Try to get funding for that.
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @all4actt

I've seen the homeless in Washington D.C. and in Denver Colorado.

And Colorado legalized recreational Marijuana in 2012, and publicity wise, talks about how much money that the taxation and revenue of recreational Marijuana has made for the state?

https://www-cnbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/06/12/colorado-passes-1-billion-in-marijuana-state-revenue.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE=#aoh=15739449337356&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/12/colorado-passes-1-billion-in-marijuana-state-revenue.html

"Colorado passes $1 billion in marijuana state revenue"

Eric Rosenbaum | @erprose
    Published 3:00 PM ET Wed, 12 June 2019 Updated 5:36 PM ET Thu, 13 June 2019CNBC.com

• Colorado revenue from marijuana sales experienced its two highest-grossing months in April and May, with roughly $24 million in total state revenue from cannabis each month.
    • It took the state roughly three and a half years to reach the $500 million mark in total state revenue from marijuana sales, and just under two years to double the revenue source.
    • Cannabis sales contribute to the state's general reserve fund, as well as education and health care, including mental health services, and youth drug-prevention programs. "

Now you can read through the rest of this article, that is lamenting over this $1 Billion dollars made off of recreational marijuana, and there isn't a single sentence expressing any considerations, about allocating some of that money to help address the poor and the homeless in Denver Colorado?

How does any state that legalizes recreational marijuana, to reward the marijuana users in those states, by legalizing their once illegal drug of choice, to in a sense profit off of their addictions?

That's a blatant hypocrisy, to reward those millions of marijuana addicts, but Zero, is apparently being done to address the poor, and homeless situations, that I have seen, with my own eyes? 

I'd rather see no U.S. citizens, being poor, or homeless on the streets, if a state has,  Billions of dollars being generated from the taxation and revenue coffers, because of the recreational marijuana sales?

That makes Zero sense to me.
    @TKDB

The homeless situation is another quagmire that isn't being properly addressed. 
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @all4actt

I agree with you.

It shouldn't be an issue either.

"The homeless situation is another quagmire that isn't being properly addressed."
    all4actt