frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Could it be that the true story of movie "The Exorcist" was actually a case of sexual abuse?

Debate Information

Just came across this rather intriguing video about an analysis of the movie "The Exorcist."

I wonder if it could be possible that the boy that this was based on was sexually abused and hence the reasons for his behavior? Also given the fact that a lot of stuff centered around Catholics abusing young boys around this era. Also strikes one as suspicious as to how the Catholic church made sure most of the real story was kept a secret, and also the fact that the boy's identity protected also strikes me as suspicious. One cannot help but wonder if the real story did refer a case of sexual abuse; it most definitely wasn't one of supernatural demonic possession and that's for sure.

What do you think?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• IANVSIANVS 23 Pts   -  
    I’ve wondered the same thing from watching the Exorcist. The girl’s behavior in the movie suddenly changes as the demon  possesses her for reasons not made entirely clear. Sure it could’ve been lazy writing but why make a major motion picture about a story without a strong plot? There was actually plenty of potential for a strong plot too. The girl’s dad wasn’t around, the mom had a weird guy friend who actually seemed like someone you wouldn’t want to be alone in a room with your 13 year old daughter (he actually was in her room and wound up dead), the priest allegedly had a run in with this demon long ago. Any of these aspects of the story could’ve been expanded upon or made more clear but they weren’t. The focus was entirely on the girl being possessed without explanation. I’ve read a few discussions about it where people speculated all kinds of possibilities including being molested by her now estranged father, being punished for masturbation, and being nothing more than a film meant to glorify the church. But all just fan theories. It may have just been an entirely innocent horror film badly written. The plot could have been so uninteresting and subtle compared to the scenes with the demon vomiting green ooze (for example) that it was commonly overlooked 

I’ve dealt with troubled children in real life though and have to say that her character’s behavior (minus the parts which defy the laws of physics) does seem to suggest that the “demon” was nothing more than a metaphor for some type of abuse. I believe a doctor in the movie suggests that might be the cause. The creators of the movie removed any implication of wrong doing by anyone though if that was the origin of the story

Not sure what to think about that whole church conspiracy either. Good luck getting to the bottom of that. Could be church haters spreading rumors or it could be church people concealing dirty secrets. It would make sense that the church would quickly assemble a ham fisted film with a flimsy plot which includes two heroic priests in retaliation to such a scandal. They’d have the money and influence to see that it reached a large audience too

• I think the true story revolves around some instances where the boy was recorded to have displayed some obscene behavior which I think should also signal alarm bells for a case of abuse. The kind of behavior you would not expect a 13-year-old boy to engage in I think signals alarm bells for a case of abuse.

Hopefully and perhaps the perpetrator was convicted. I actually now hold that this was the case and that the story about demonic possession at the time was no more than just a cover-up as this would have been an embarrassment to the church as well as the family.