frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

gender dysphoria in children.

Debate Information

I believe anyone that gives children hormones to change sex should be given life imprisonment for destroying that Childs life. Children change their mind daily sometimes even twice within the day, and to destroy and permanently effect their upbringing and development because the parents wants the attention to say they have a trans child is disgusting. Lets see if anything can change my mind on the subject.
Applesaucecheesycheese

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    The argument for early transition is, in part, that blocking puberty at an early age will make gender transition easier. I personally think it makes sense and is probably true...

The argument against treating children, in part, is that a percentage of these children may simply be suffering from gender confusion and not aligning with stereotypes about boys and girls... And the long term effects of hormone blockers is not yet known... Which is also true...

So I think there are ethical matters to consider in regards to when can we ethically start hormone treatments for an individual...  This issue is far from simple and better addressed on a case-by-case basis IMO... 
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5971 Pts   -  
    Any treatment that has obvious negative side effects should never be used against the individual's consent - unless the individual is not able to give consent due to being in a life-threatening situation. In our society, it is believed that children are unable to give consent, hence no hormone therapy should be applied to them.

In the distant future, when changing biological gender permanently - and not the semi-functional version that exists currently and that only changes some traits - will become easy and easily reversible, such a treatment applied to children will make sense. But as of now, the therapy has too many side effects and effectively hooks the individual up on taking hormones for the rest of their life, which can have drastic effects on their health in the future and is likely to noticeably reduce their life expectancy.

A better way to go forward, in my view, is making one's gender a non-issue in the society. In that case, trans people will not even need to change their gender, since, whether they are male or female, will not affect their lives in any way. The whole gender dysphoria phenomenon may disappear then, as the concept of "gender" will no longer be relevant outside biological sciences.
    PlaffelvohfenZeusAres42Applesauce
  • RyanHoughRyanHough 71 Pts   -  
    @keeno91 I completely agree, my view on this subject is that gender dysphoria is a disease that people need help handling in their life. as Ben Shapiro has stated as well I will not pretend that a man is a woman and a woman is a man because that is against the basic sciences. I learned biology in the 3rd grade and I had no problem realizing that I was a man and because of biology will always be a man, and the girl sitting next to me was indeed biologically a female