frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Since tariffs are essentially tax hikes, why are Republicans not outraged?

Debate Information

Whenever a democrat proposes a tax hike, every single conservative goes nuts. When Trump raises taxes via tariffs, they stay mum.
AlofRI

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    Both Democrats and Republicans base their economical policies on erroneous ideas about how economy works. Democrats assume that the domestic economy is a zero-sum game, while Republicans assume that the international trade is a zero-sum game - and both think that, by forceful taxation and/or redistribution, it is possible to change the outcomes of the game for the targeted groups.

In reality, any forceful redistribution harms everyone in the long run, and ironically it harms the most the very groups it is supposed to assist. In this particular case, by raising tariffs Trump ultimately damages the American consumers who now have to buy more expensive goods, the American workers who no longer get competitive wages due to the restricted market competition, and the American businesses that lose access to profitable trade options. Who wins? No one, really. Not even the government.

The idea that one can achieve a desirable economical outcome by forcing it through restrictions and regulations should jump off a bridge and drown in a river.
    ih8sharts
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    Why are Republicans not outraged? For one thing, there are no "Republicans" left, not in the former state anyway. What we now have are Trumplicans or McConnelites. They no longer care about the deficit, are no longer against raising taxes … unless it's on those who can afford to pay more taxes. They no longer care about "family values", they revere a man who stands up and lies openly, swears fluently, insults people from BOTH parties, can't spell, doesn't know the history of the country he leads, calls women and children terrorists (when he's NOT swearing about them), calls breaking the law "gaming the system". My kids are adults … far into adulthood … or I wouldn't allow them to watch this "official" on TV. If I was a Christian I couldn't vote for an official who openly committed adultery, bribed, said he could kill someone on Broadway, and nobody'd care, only went to church to get married … or make a speech, and groped women and bragged about it. A low IQ individual.

Why are Republicans not outraged? Because they don't exist in the conservative party anymore. One other thing: Behold the power of brainwashing. 
    Sorry. I'm about fed up with what is happening to my country, and to the world. Our friends are enemies, our enemies are friends, our economy is shot (realistically). How many can afford to get sick?? How many can afford to retire without SS and Medicare? A small percentage. That is not a good economy.
    Plaffelvohfenih8sharts