frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

In this Debate

"Science has belief in naturalism"

Debate Information

I have heard this in a video that defends theism. It argues that science is not to correct way to reach the truth as it draws a connection between apparant reason and consequence, while this connection is not properly justified. I have my own answers to this but I would like to hear how other atheists of Debate Island respond to this argument.

Also, he argues that the reasons science presents cannot be actual reasons and he makes this analogy: "This sentence abides the rules of english but it was written by a conscious, intelligent person. Therefore, just like the rules of english do not write a sentence, the laws of the universe cannot create a universe just by themselves." I have told him that this is not evidence, just a false analogy, but he then asked "how exactly is it false?". Again, I have my own answers, but I just want to hear how others will respond. Maybe your response will be far more clearer than mine.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
67%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6045 Pts   -  
    I would answer this by noting that without the assumption of causality our thinking simply does not work. There is no other way to cognise the world than getting to the "why" of things; the only other way is neutral observation and description of the world, which is not particularly useful. If we assume that there is no connection between apparent reason and consequence, then we have to admit that our brains are useless in trying to understand how the world works, and in that case both theism and atheism become equally irrelevant.

For the second part, it is, indeed, a poor analogy, because it assumes that the laws of the present universe have created this Universe - but this is not actually what science claims. Science does not make any claims about the laws in the world "prior" to the formation of our Universe, because it is in principle impossible for us to interact with that world and deduce anything about it - but we do know that the Universe was formed X years ago, and this is the starting point of our scientific journey.

I am not sure why theists like to bring up the matter of "who/what created the Universe" all the time. Science does not have any stance on this, and theists have a stance for which they have 0 evidence. We do not know who/what created the Universe, and, in fact, from our modern perspective this question does not even make sense. What is interesting is what happened then; what made the Universe appear is not important, and, perhaps, the answer is simply "nothing".
    AlexOlandPlaffelvohfen