frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Are hierarchical class structures better for learning outcomes?

Debate Information

Position: Against
To begin, this first round I would like to be used as presenting definitions of important terms and acceptance of those terms in order to avoid semantics debates. I will automatically accept any definitions of new terms my opponent wishes to present in the first round that I don't present. By accepting this debate, you also accept the definitions I present here and also accept the rule of not posting any actual arguments in the first round. I will present my opening arguments in the second round as will my opponent. Do not post a rebuttal in the second round. Please only post supporting evidence and arguments for your position; do not try to specifically refute my arguments yet. The third round will be your rebuttal to my opening arguments where you can refute them from the second round as well as closing statements. 

So that we both have the burden of proof, this will be a debate where we each take positive claim positions. I will take the position of "non-hierarchical class structures are better for learning outcomes of the students." My opponent is taking the position of "Hierarchical class structure is better for the learning outcomes of the students" that way we both have the burden of proof.

Now, the definition I am going to give of the term in my title shall be as follows: A hierarchical class structure is one in which the teacher is leading the class, lecturing them, and little to no inter-student teaching. So students are either not teaching one another or doing so very little: most of the teaching comes from the teacher themselves. Thus my position is that I am arguing a class structure in which a teacher takes on more of a role of a moderator and lets the students teach one another, is better for learning outcomes. So the teacher steps in basically if a student presents something false or feels the need to clarify.

For the term "learning outcomes" the following are examples of measuring that(but these aren't all possible examples, and it will be up to voters if we provide evidence that is relevant) :
1) The ability for them to recall the material after a certain amount of time from studying(of course the higher likelihood of them to recall after a longer period of time is a stronger argument)
2) The average of how well they perform in the class(the percent grade)
3) The average of how well they perform on tests(the percentage they get right on the test)

If you want to clarify any possible terms that will come up in this debate, feel free to do so in this round. If you have none to clarify, you may simply say something like "I accept these conditions" in the first round.

Note to voters: Since the first round is being used in this manner, do not take the first round into account for any of the criteria for who wins. Only use it as a reference to make sure neither side is trying to change definitions of terms they agreed to before beginning the debate and if they actually presented evidence and/or logic supporting the positions I outlined we each are taking here.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal."
-Albert Camus, Notebook IV

Debra AI Prediction

Against
Predicted To Win
100%
Likely
0%
Unlikely

Details +

Debate Type: Traditional Debate

Voting Format: Formal Voting

Opponent:

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 48 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 72 Hours

Forfeited

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: Against
    GeoLibCogScientistGeoLibCogScientist 128 Pts   -  
    As specified in the rules, this round is to be used for acceptance and presenting definitions, which I already did mine above so I am foregoing this round.
    "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal."
    -Albert Camus, Notebook IV