frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Most Martial Arts are Ineffective as Self-Defence

Debate Information

This debate will be about Martial Arts and whether or not they are really effective as a Self-Defence. 

Debra AI Prediction

Tie
Predicted
50%
Likely
50%
Unlikely

Details +

For:

0% (0 Points)

Against:

0% (0 Points)

Votes: 0

Voting Format: Moderate Voting

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 48 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 7 Days

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Voting

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: Against
    My argument is as follows: 

So, I contend that most Martial Arts are not very effective programs for self-defence at all. I will also point out that I am speaking both from actually practising various martial arts and somewhat studying them a bit. Now, when it comes the Martial Realm of things there are three categories of it that we need to be aware of and they are: 
    1. Martial Sport
    2. Martial Defence
    3. Martial Art
    When someone talks about Martial Arts generally images of either Kickboxing, Judo, Karate, Taekwondo etc come to mind; these however are most practised as Martial Sports. That being said, they do have a Martial Art and self-defence element to them. 

Now, the reason why most martial arts are ineffective as self-defence is because they are hardly ever practised as such. Most people do martial arts for either the sporting element or for the beauty (art) of it. And even the self-defence classes are not enough. Being able to defend yourself in adverse situations is not enough to simply just attend a few classes, learn a few things and then think that's all there is to it. Being able to adequately defend yourself in difficult situations rest on the following: 

1. Whether or not you have actually been "in the line of fire" and how long for. 
    2. Whether or not you have actually repeatedly trained long term under sever pressure. 
    3. Knowing techniques off by heart.
    The first two are the most important but hardly ever get taught if at all in any Martial Arts program. The third part of the above is useless without the preceding two factors. However, there are three martial arts that come as close as possible to the above in degree of order (in my opinion) and they are:

1. Unarmed Combat learned in the special forces.
    2. MMA
    3. Krava Maga
    The above places a lot of emphasis on action under pressure; especially the first one. Funnily enough there are actually even tough MMA guys that have actually gone on tests to see how they would cope under difficult SAS situations and didn't quite make it. 

In conclusion, the point is that I want people to not allow themselves into a false sense of security and be under the impression that they are as safe as some fictional "Jet Li" Character after attending a few self defence classes or practising a martial sport; this is what Military would call being in a state of apathy. I also want you to note that I have no dislike for any martial art here; I myself practice them but mainly for the fun sporting element of it; yes, I admit I do have a somewhat competitive nature haha. 

• Round 1 | Position: For
    PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    I will support the position that martial arts are indeed effective but also essential to any self-defense system, that there cannot be a self-defense system that doesn't rely on any martial arts techniques and principles (balance, movement, power, speed, rhythm, timing, etc...).

Every single self-defense system uses martial techniques and principles. The effectiveness of those systems depend solely on the mindset with which those techniques and principles are taught and/or used. The mindset is the determining factor with regard to effectiveness, not the techniques or principles themselves without which there would be no self-defense systems.

You mentioned Krav Maga as an effective self-defense system and I do agree and the mindset is defining here... It's not a question of points in a match, there is no etiquette, there is no "art", no kata, no physical feats Shaolin monk style... The point is to neutralize the opponent as fast as possible using any means, it's dirty, raw, unforgiving, it's taught with a very present life-death mindset, it has a lot more to do with aggression than defense really... 

You might say that martial art is the study of martial techniques and principles, and that self-defense systems are application of those techniques and principles. And what the efficiency of Krav Maga seems to indicate, is that the doctrine "Attack is the best defense", is the best option when it comes to application...

To be actually efficient in a real life situation, any martial technique must be used without any form of regard for the opponent's well-being, none... If you don't have that mindset, the odds are against you whatever system you may use... 
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "