frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is the United States of America a plutocracy?

Debate Information

Note: This has been edited for further clarity since I recognize there are a few things I outlined that were a little ambiguous.

I will start with a definition of the term plutocracy:
In this debate it means "a government by and for the wealthy".

I am going to argue in the "pro" position. I will argue in the first round my opening arguments on why it is a plutocracy. While anyone is invited to participate, as this is a formalish debate, I will have some fairly formal rules. First, as you can see, each round is 48 hours, in order to give a maximum opportunity for everyone to present arguments each round, and not be constrained by time and thus having to forego a round. I'd have it even longer, but this is the maximum debateisland allows. Now, I have rules for each round, be sure to read them. 

Here are the rules for each round:

Round 1: This will be used for opening arguments only. For people who do not believe it is a plutocracy, in order to maintain an equal burden of proof among all of us, you must choose a specific position. You will argue that instead of a plutocracy, the US is a democracy, or some other type of government you think better represents the United States' government if you believe plutocracy does not. To be clear, do not use this round to rebut anyone else's opening arguments if you post your opening argumetns after someone else , the next 2 rounds will be permitted for rebuttal. Edit: For clarification, you can of course structure your opening round in such a way where you have rebuttals to possible arguments you think could come up. It will be up to the discretion of voters to determine if that is more of what happened or if you are specifically refuting points made by someone else. Do not be afraid to use this tactic, there should be some leniency even if you're refuting a point brought up by someone else so long as it appears to be coincidental and you're not bringing up specific datapoints or evidence someone else brought up. That would look more fishy in my opinion, but again, that's up to the voters.

Round 2: This is to be used to rebut anyone's opening arguments you feel are necessary to rebut, and you are allowed to present new arguments still that don't specifically rebut anyone's opening arguments.

Round 3: This round is to be used only for rebuttals and closing arguments: no new arguments unless you're rebutting someone else's. It is not required to have a closing, but it should generally remind everyone of the major points you made(don't recite any sources you've given, just remind people of your major points) and bring up how those major points may outweigh the major points of your opponents. This is a proper closure. Edit: When I say "no new arguments" this is referring to arguments you've not already presented and aren't directly rebutting someone else's points. You can bring up facts, ideas, and logic you've not presented yet so long as it's in a fashion of rebutting what other people said already. No rebutting of closure paragraphs and statements should take place, however. So if someone has specified it's a closure paragraph, that's very clear you ought not rebut it. And in general, if it's not specified, it generally is a closing argument if it meets what I said: they are reiterating what they said and weighing the pros and cons of their side against yours and no sources or evidence is presented, only logical arguments. For the possibility of more ambiguous areas occuring in the debate, it will be left up to the discretion of voters.

Rules for voters:
1) Should any debater, including myself of course, violate any of those rules,  it should be counted as a conduct violation, so do not award anyone who breaks these rules for conduct points. Otherwise, it would make sense to award each debater those points so long as all rules are obeyed.
2) Should any debater bring up new arguments in round 3, do not take them into account for voting in other areas not related to conduct, and the same applies for if anyone directly rebuts someone's opening arguments in round 1.

Edit: Ultimately, the voters can overrule any rule I put here they think is too limiting provided they provide reasons as stated in formal voting rules. The below sentence is striked-through to indicate it is not in effect anymore since I made the statements prior to realizing all the mechanics of formalish debates. Since the first round did start for everyone, even those who haven't started yet, this is the reason for the strike-through. I have not deleted any original part of this post in order to maintain a level of integrity. I edited only so that I can clarify any possible confusions over my rules in case that I cannot get to your concerns in time before you want to join the debate.

I will wait a while before posting my opening arguments, assuming the first round's timer for other people don't start until I do, I'm not sure if it does since I've not done a formalish debate before. I hope it doesn't, as I would like to give ~24 hours for people to comment on this debate to ask for clarification of any rules I've given here. To clarify though, if you post an argument, you're to be assumed you accepted thes rules. 
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal."
-Albert Camus, Notebook IV

Debra AI Prediction

For
Predicted To Win
100%
Likely
0%
Unlikely

Details +

For:

0% (0 Points)

Against:

0% (0 Points)

Votes: 0

Voting Format: Formal Voting

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 48 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 7 Days

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Voting

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: For
    GeoLibCogScientistGeoLibCogScientist 128 Pts   -  
    As stated above, I am arguing that the United States is a plutocracy.

Here are my contentions:

C1: The wealthy and interest groups for corporations have the most influence over what policies actually get passed.
    First, while it's true that everyone 18+ who isn't a felon gets to vote in the US, I argue those votes do not change anything in terms of what policies actually get passed. Indeed, the votes can change who is in office, and those people in office may have the best intentions to follow the new things they claim they are for, but this study from researchers Martin Gilens and Benjamin I. Page of Princeton University, found that "Multivariate analysis indicates that economic elites and organized groups representing business interests have substantialindependent impacts on U.S. government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups have little or noindependent influence." [1] Additionally, this makes sense even if votes are putting in people who legitimately want to do what voters want. Anyone can have the best intentions, but if they are given massive donations, humans naturally feel the need to reciprocate in some way. Plus, it's far easier to please one corporation or one wealthy person than one's entire constituency.  A meta-analysis had found that people are more likely to trust someone for purposes of reciprocity when people more frequently do something kind for you. [2]  Voting for a representative in the US happens only every 2 years. Voting for senators, every 6, and president every 4. But there's no limit to how often someone can donate to some politician's cause, so naturally a politician will trust someone who donates to their cause on a monthly basis than someone who votes for them merely every 2, 4, or 6 years.

C2: Several practices in American voting limit the capability of voters to have an impact.

A. I'm sure most of us are aware of gerrymandering and how it still goes on today, so I will not provide any sources on it. But it is nonetheless relevant in that it does decrease the likelihood a politician will represent the people, as a republic supposedly ought to represent.

B. First past the post (FPTP) voting is, perhaps, the least efficient way of representing the will of the people. FPTP's only advantage is that it's simple: whoever gets at least a plurality of votes wins, and people only pick one candidate. However, this leads to issues of strategic voting where people decide to vote for someone because their ideal candidate, they believe has no chance. It also leads to "lesser of two evil" choices. It can also have spoiler candidates and tends to encourage two-party systems since a third major party would be viewed as spoiling the election. On the otherhand, Score-then-instant-runoff(STAR) voting gets rid of all of those problems. This system is one in which people would give every candidate running a score of 0-N, where N would be some maximum number decided(i.e 10). 0 would be indicating you hate the candidate, 10(N) meaning it's your ideal candidate. In regular score-voting, whoever has the highest average of scores would win. However, this still can have some of those issues arise due to that some people may score some candidates equally, which wouldn't be represented in such a system. The solution is then to have instant-runoffs to elliminate the lowest scoring candidates by transferring any scores from a ballot that gave a lower candidate the same score as a higher-scoring candidate, to that higher-scoring candidate. This is honest since the voter ranked both candidates equally, and thus would be further more representative of the public at large. While slightly more complex than FPTP, it's fairly simple in comparison to other methods. People just score each candidate for the ballot. We would average the scores, have run-offs and whoever had the highest average, wins. Of course the tallying of it is complex, but the actual voting is as simple as scoring products one buys from 1-5 stars. For further clarity, here's an additional source talking about it. [3]

C. Every state except Nebraska and Maine does winner-take-all for the electoral college. This also limits the impact voters can have in that it discourages people to come to polls in safe states. For safe states such as Alabama, California, South Carolina, Hawaii, and others, there's almost no point to voting since they're all but guaranteed to go to one party each election. With those states being winner-take-all, voting for any candidate pretty much won't have any impact.

C3: Rich people themselves are the lawmakers, executives, and judiciary
    One would be very hard-pressed to name any politician who isn't in the top 1% of income earners in the US. This is clear indication we are ruled by rich people as well. Additionally, many members of congress are on corporation's boards of directors and/or, own businesses, and/or own stock in companies that either are being encouraged to have legislation created for, or have had legislation created which may increase their stock prices. [4][5][6] There are instances in recent news where some of our politicians are trying to stop this or are voluntarily giving up their stock before any legislation or rulings that could potentially affect this [7][8], but it nonetheless does not change the fact that this occured, and has occured for many years in our republic. The damage has been done to democracy, and it will take a long time to undo the many pieces of legislation, actions of the executive branches, and judicial rulings over the past two and a half centuries that have been for the wealthy.

I hereby rest my opening arguments.

Source links:
    [1] https://scholar.princeton.edu/sites/default/files/mgilens/files/gilens_and_page_2014_-testing_theories_of_american_politics.doc.pdf
    [2] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5441232/
    [3] https://www.equal.vote/starvoting
    [4] https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/facebook-twitter-testify-here-are-the-members-who-own-their-stock
    [5] https://apnews.com/6547a090a1bb4ffab4b9c5df82dee200
    [6] https://www.businessinsider.com/how-richest-members-congress-made-money-house-senate-2019-2
    [7] https://biglawbusiness.com/roberts-sold-at-t-shares-justices-move-away-from-conflicts
    [8] https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/24/business/dealbook/insider-trading-act.html

Plaffelvohfen
    "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal."
    -Albert Camus, Notebook IV