frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Robot disobedience

Debate Information

Should robots be able to disregard the will of their masters?

I am watching the "Beatless" anime currently, and it raises a lot of interesting questions regarding human-robot interaction. One of them concerns the robot's ability to disobey its masters, or even apply violence to its masters, in order to achieve a favorable outcome.

To see how this question may arise, consider the famous mental exercise. You buy a robot and order it to guard your life at any cost. A few days later, you are in a horrible mood and decide to commit suicide. You take a gun and put it to your head...
Should the robot do nothing and let you shoot yourself, which would violate the order you gave it earlier? Should the robot knock the gun out of your hand by force? Should the robot incapacitate you, so you can't even attempt to commit suicide for a while? Should it tie you down to a chair and keep talking to you, until it convinces you to not commit suicide?

It gets even more interesting if we assume that robots possess general intelligence, that is they do not take "orders" per say and can make their own choices, but are still built in a way that makes them want to serve their masters.
If such a robot sees that its owner behaves irrationally, it may want to go out of its way to stop him. For example, if the owner is trying to give up drinking, but lacks discipline to do so, then the robot may want to take his credit card and donate a large sum to a charity organisation, to teach him a lesson, threatening to do the same next time he buys alcohol.

Robot ethics is a vibrant field of study these days, and there is a consensus among researchers that, to some extent, robots must be able to interpret their duties flexibly. Having a very rigid set of rules that must be obeyed no matter what - as, for example, Azimov's 3 Robotic Laws would require - is very impractical and is going to severely limit the effectiveness of the robot. However, having an overly flexible set of rules may be dangerous as well, as the robot might decide to forego its duties completely and, for example, murder its master.

Do you think there is a case for letting robots disobey their masters, or even force their masters to do something against their will? If so, how far can they go?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
56%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    You say .....Do you think there is a case for letting robots disobey their masters, or even force their masters to do something against their will? If so, how far can they go?

My reply .....Surely it’s inevitable as AI advances and gets more and more advanced  we will I fear become surplus to requirements , what function would humans possibly serve in a world of super intelligent robots as robots will
     function and communicate in their own ever evolving way without need for us 
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    I think it's inevitable that "robots" will gain sentience as they become more advanced. I don't believe it will spur on the apocalypse however, but I also am not totally convinced that robots can solve all our problems. 
  • It depends on what our intent with the robot is, I would say. If we aren't planning on making it sentient, say if it's simply a machine that creates something and basically has no intelligence, then that wouldn't make sense to make a robot for that intended purpose with the ability to disobey.

If, however, our intent is to create a sentient, true artificial intelligence at that point, I would consider it life, and in my opinion, all sentient, intelligent life forms have a right to life, self-determination, and all the typical rights we'd consider humans to have. So, this means they would have the right to disobey someone and to call the person a "master" implies slavery. I consider slavery of all such life forms, even if artificial, to be immoral.

Currently, it's believed in the scientific community that dolphins are the second most intelligent species on earth, following humans. [1] [2] [3] I think it's a no-brainer(pun intended), that any creature displaying intelligence, sentience, and society like that should never have "masters", both dolphins and such a sentient robot.
    MayCaesarPlaffelvohfenJoshBaileyTreeMan
    "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal."
    -Albert Camus, Notebook IV