frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Enlightenment

Debate Information

Does enlightenment require work on our part, or is it more like a stage in our existence, kind of like puberty?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    Does enlightenment require work on our part, or is it more like a stage in our existence, kind of like puberty?

What exactly is “enlightenment”? How do we know if someone is “enlightened”? 
  • janesixjanesix 109 Pts   -  
    @Dee

Enlightenment is when you come to the understanding of what reality is. Only those who are enlightened can know what that looks like.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited August 2019

• Indeed and I bet they all have different accounts of what this reality is. Anyone can say they’re enlightened and many have claim to be so , so how could we tell
    @Dee

I'm not sure we COULD tell. 
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @janesix

Exactly , so why believe any such claims?
    @Dee

Personal spiritual experience points in that direction, that there will be enlightenment for each individual.
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @janesix

What differentiates a personal spiritual experience from a psychotic delusion or hallucination? How can you ascribe any objectivity to such experience?
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
    @Plaffelvohfen

You cannot. How do you know YOU are not insane?
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @janesix

I don't and I can't but I assume I am not... ;) But I do think we are all fundamentally "neurotic" or delusional (for lack of a better term) in nature, a consequence of consciousness...
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @janesix

• Personal spiritual experience points in that direction, that there will be enlightenment for each individual

What is “spiritual experience “? How does it “point in that direction “? Is every enlightened persons view of reality the very same? 

@Dee

I am not going to describe my personal experience to you, as you seem antagonistic and don't seem to care either way. 
    @Plaffelvohfen

Perception is a quirky thing. We already know scientifically we don't really "percieve" reality in any real way directly. It is just electical signals going into our brains, where things are interpreted, colored by our own previous experience, memories and whatnot. 
    Plaffelvohfen
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @janesix

• I am not going to describe my personal experience to you, as you seem antagonistic and don't seem to care either way. 

Don’t then. How am I antagonistic? If you don’t like being asked to justify your many assertions maybe you shouldn’t be  on a debate site. Also I’m asking you how and you’re saying I don’t care , I guess you just cannot explain it 
    @Dee

Of course I can explain. 
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @janesix

• Of course I can explain. 

That’s all I’m asking so go ahead please 
    @Dee

My spiritual experiences always come in the form of a change in consciousness, and it always involves energy. I can feel the energy going through my chakras and nadis. I have had visions, voices, dreams showing me and giving me new information. I believe this is how enlightenment works, you get more information the more you work with your chakras. For instance, I started out seeing the number 108 on clocks, and this would come with a small, usually brief, change in consciousness. Then I would research whatever new information was given to me. I have dreams sent to me, these always feel different and important. Like the one with two bears, which led me to the precession of the equinoxes, and how it is affecting some people's change in consciousness. I think you learn different levels of information as you work on each chakra. I am currently stuck in working on my third chakra.
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    Perhaps you should look into Buddhism @janesix
    @maxx

It is one of the religions I study
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @janesix

No offence but it sounds exactly like the sort of nonsense Deepak Chopra comes out with and I put it in the same category as Auras , crystal healing , remote viewing etc , etc , pseudoscientific nonsense 
    Plaffelvohfen
    @Dee

That's fine I understand your viewpoint
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @janesix

Buddhism and it’s 4 noble truths always struck me as entirely sensible and as a belief system there’s much to admire , also Buddha told people to question everything and do not take his word on matters , what other spiritual leader has ever said that?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    As I understand, in Eastern philosophies enlightenment is the goal, unachievable, but approachable. You cannot reach the state where you are "enlightened", but you can get arbitrarily close to that state.

Enlightenment is achieved through hard work, but by ultimately realising that it is a state of being, not acting. That is you have to go through a lot of psychological struggle to understand how to let go of all struggle and enjoy being in the present.

I personally do not see the enlightenment as the right goal to have. I aim not at being present, but at living in tune with my inner self. There is nothing wrong with thinking about the past or the future, or daydreaming - these are all amazing things that enrich our lives, and staying in the present 24/7 sounds fairly boring. However, thinking and daydreaming should be done in a way that allows your inner self to manifest, and not in a way that the society wants. This is the key element of my personal self-development work.
    @MayCaesar

It is good you are working on your self. Not many even care.
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    The way I understand it is that enlightment It’s not a stage like puberty that everyone goes through. However there are stages one must go through to achieve enlightenment. 
    @maxx

What are the stages?
  • maxxmaxx 1131 Pts   -  
    The stages elude me at the moment. I can look them up once off of work. I do know that the last stage is separation of self@janesix
  • jesusisGod777jesusisGod777 115 Pts   -  
    Enlightment is awareness of what is true concerning our legitimate reality.

Enlightment is not a stage as all are initially as equally unaware of what is true.

Truth is based on God's knowledge as the creator of all things.

You can not know anything outside of what God tells you as God is the only source of knowledge concerning enlightnment.

If you consider religion which is false, CHRISTIANITYS not a religion.

Each person that is stated to be all knowing in a religion seems completely ignorant.

One they never talk about the future.

They never demonstrate spiritual authority in the prescense of others and have equal authority to human beings.

Each enlightened person dies and ceases to continue living.

Bhuddha and Krishna are false gods.

The blue moron Krishna got killed by a hunter who had mistaken him for a deer.

I don't know how an all knowing being didn't know a hunter was going to kill him much less how the hunter mistook a blue man for a brown deer. 

The death of bhuddha is rarely known.

Jesus is God only.
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    Although enlightenment can occur, in a way it is like puberty because we discover it during different stages of our life. But of course, an epiphany occurs when someone humbles themselves to allow their understanding of reality to be changed. This allows for more enlightenment to develop through hard work and etching out a new paths to awareness to develop.