frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Time Travel?

Debate Information

Do you believe that such a concept is possible? Would you travel for yourself or humanity? Depending on your answer, would it be more beneficial to travel to the past or future?

Personal answer: Yes: Time Travel AND visiting other dimensions possible via wormholes: For personal reasons: To the future--ask future me some questions...

jesusisGod777

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• jesusisGod777jesusisGod777 115 Pts   -  
    Time would have to be connected between the past and future insinuating everything in the past has already happened and that time in the past is part of a future event.

If time is connected to the past and future considering events have happened there would be no way to measure time as the past or future.

Considering time is based on a linear dimension only what has happened dictated The length of the past.

Just read a Bible.

I have no idea why you people seem amused by phantasy concepts.

Jesus is Lord.
    ZeusAres42PlaffelvohfenRS_masterJaguar
  • It's nice to think of time travel as being possible. But I cannot help but highly doubt it as being probable. Since life and universe is not pre-determined then I can't see how this is likely.

• Although I sincerely hope I'm wrong and it is a real thing, I don't believe time travel is possible. Simply put, time is not a real thing. It's a human made concept. Time was just something we invented so our brains could find some sense of purpose in the rotation of the sun. It isn't something like water, that you can touch and manipulate. Time is only an IDEA, and therefore we cannot touch it or use it to our advantage in any way. 
  • jesusisGod777 said: Time would have to be connected between the past and future insinuating everything in the past has already happened and that time in the past is part of a future event. If time is connected to the past and future considering events have happened there would be no way to measure time as the past or future. Considering time is based on a linear dimension only what has happened dictated The length of the past. Just read a Bible. I have no idea why you people seem amused by phantasy concepts.

Jesus is Lord.

Why indeed, because you have no concept of time. Time can be connected to a past and future only because it is a mathematic principle, many methods of travel in general had been to slow to notice time as a tool other then the different amounts of light a person may experience in the days. Time was a calculus formula which generalized motion for navigation purpose. Starting with basics the idea of Mass, energy, matter, occurrence and reoccurrence is not the same as traveling in time based by 24 hour clock or time based by the 365 day, year. It is not time that is our phantasy it is that time is complex mathematics which makes understanding a phantasy to some people consistently. Meanwhile this question is a matter of physics which describes time as a collection of matter, energy, mass, as a single mathematic occurrence, that particular mathematic formula does not exist, yet.

@BrainSocks ;
    Multi dimensional time travel is possible by simply creating multiple dismissions of time. No worm hole required. It is like traveling at the speed a of light a common occurrence every day, why try to outrun a sun, when we really can walk faster then the light of a candle at the right distance.
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -   edited September 2019
    If time travel were possible, we would already know it has happened because somebody would have traveled to the past. If someone had ever traveled to the past, time travel would have already happened, and therefore would already exist. This has not happened, so time travel doesn't exist. Plus, the idea that time is linear is false. The only time that does exist, or will exist, or has ever existed is "now". The past, present, and future are occurring simultaneously. One way to look at this is to say "now" is the only time that exists. In the words of Beck. "The past is a cancelled check. Your maximum point of power is now"!        
    Jaguar

• Lots of people travel to the past and future every day. Every one else simple does not understand time travel as they do not have the need to adjust their watches as they enter a Timer Zone. Basic principle a time in the future Time Zone or a time in the past Time Zone. 
  • This is all very interesting stuff and makes for great movies, but realistically, I have to say that I think time travel is highly improbable.

• @ZeusAres42 ;
    Okay I am going to say this a basic as I can Time travel happens every day where as what  goes on in the movies or on TV is not time travel it is something else only plagiarizing and exaggerating the effect of time travel. Time and space share the same basic principle of area.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6049 Pts   -  
    I do not think you can travel back and forth between different points on the same timeline; that would lead to a lot of paradoxes and to the breakage of the cause-effect connection, which is crucial for the validity of out entire collective knowledge about the world.

It is possible that you can somehow travel between different timelines, however; say, you travel 100,000 years back and get into the past that has nothing to do with the past of our timeline. You might emerge in the world that is very different from ours, and likely die, as the probability that you will land in the environment in which a human being can survive for long periods of time is slim.

Even if that is possible though, it has to do with some principally new physics we do not know anything about at the moment. As far as we know, time just always runs forward, although, again, we do not know why and how.
  • I do not think you can travel back and forth between different points on the same timeline; that would lead to a lot of paradoxes and to the breakage of the cause-effect connection, which is crucial for the validity of out entire collective knowledge about the world. Not only can we travel time you can call and most likely already have on a phone or cellphone  across the time lines.

Travel 100,000 years back, this is not time travel the limit of time travel would be 12 hours in either direction ahead or back. If you consider a year time, which it is not the restriction is 6 month in either direction.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

Even if that is possible though, it has to do with some principally new physics we do not know anything about at the moment. As far as we know, time just always runs forward, although, again, we do not know why and how.
    When an energy, mass, matter, reoccurrence had taken place would you remember or know?
    When a human energy, mass, matter occurrence takes place would you be able to ever recreate the conditions?