frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

New age

Debate Information

If science suddenly proved Beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no creator of any kind, will people then disband They are religions? And if so will there be less wars in this world because most wars are far over religious intolerance?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Science could never prove there was no creator because science could not exist without creation. And creation could not exist without a creator. 
    PlaffelvohfenAlofRIcalebsica
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @oliyamoniqua

So a creator needs a creator too, infinite regress thus invalid assertion...
    AlofRIBrainSocks대왕광개토
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    DAMN! I wish this "creator" would just show up and settle this argument! S/HE/IT doesn't, won't, hasn't, will not ever and still humans insists this entity WITHOUT a creator exists. If he shows up (and is not killed by some Christian / Muslim gang), I'll certainly believe in S/HE/IT! 'til then, I'll have to agree with Thomas Jefferson that: "Nature intended me for the tranquil pursuits of science by rendering them my supreme light." I, personally cannot live by Pascals Wager. The powers of reason, common sense and intellect, if given to me by a "creator", were not well thought out, because they, in my case and the cases of millions, have made S/HE/IT unbelievable to me/us. 

PLEASE, if you are OUT THERE …. and can HEAR ME …. SHOW UP! Science is making you more unbelievable by the year! You are losing support! The simple and HUMANE thing is to show up, NOT let us kill ourselves off by arguing over the spelling of your name, or which "book of rules" YOU WROTE! Schedule a book signing, O POWERFUL ONE! Clear up this mess YOU allowed to happen! Do that and the ones who don't believe or follow DESERVE to be punished! 'til then …. science is MY supreme light …. and George Burns will always be my favorite "God". o:)
    Plaffelvohfencalebsica
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    Proving a physical negative is impossible in principle. You can prove why something is impossible given a specific model in mind, but you cannot prove that something is impossible in all cases. You cannot even prove that 2=3 cannot ever be the case, without making some assumptions about the nature of numbers.

That said, suppose at some point we know beyond a reasonable doubt that there is no deity, or even if there is one, then it does not affect anything around us explicitly. Will religions suddenly become history? I doubt it. Religions are not just personal philosophies, they are also cultural elements. Look at Japan: there are very few people believing in the Shintoist vision of the world, nonetheless the temples, the rituals, the culture around it are all there, and thriving. People's view on the objective reality may change; their cultural and spiritual views, however, exist somewhat independently.

I am an atheist, but I celebrate Christmas every year. Why? No particular reason; I just like the tradition, the Christmas lights everywhere, the large trees on central squares... I am not big on traditions in general, but there are some that I enjoy following.
  • maxxmaxx 1134 Pts   -  
    actually, none of these answers are answering the main part of my question; im not asking aboiut how or if science can prove that there is no creator. Imy question resides in the second part of the questrion@MayCaesar
  • The best answer for this question is s a simple "I don't know." Nothing, more, nothing less.

• maxx said:
    If science suddenly proved Beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no creator of any kind, will people then disband They are religions? And if so will there be less wars in this world because most wars are far over religious intolerance?
    I doubt your claim that religion was the main cause for most wars throughout human history. I think it is more like that people used religion to disguise their desire to gain more wealth and territory or to fight back their enemies(which is their true reason for waging war). I will make a list of wars I know that are not directly caused by religion(I might be wrong).

-Opium war
    -Mongolian conquest of the world
    -Most of the wars fought in East Asia(there are too many wars to count)
    -European conquest of Asia/Africa/America(although they used religion to justify their actions, the core reason was to gather wealth)
    -WW1
    -WW2
    -Roman conquest of Europe/Africa

As for your final question, I would say that I have no conclusive answer, but I think that people will make war over ever decreasing resources.

• WinstonCWinstonC 235 Pts   -  
    @maxx Tribal conflict is human nature, and even chimpanzees wage war. Most wars, even those involving religion, are at their core about tribal conflicts.

Further, I'm not convinced that in the majority of wars the tribal conflict in question was religious in nature. This is particularly the case given that religion is a relatively new phenomenon on the evolutionary scale.
    대왕광개토
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    @maxx ;
    One less thing to fight about is one less thing to fight about. Since that thing is, and has been, the cause of most wars, I think the answer is obvious.

Then again, humans are adept at finding new reasons for ...…. everything, so, maybe not.:weary: