frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

If all scientific knowledge has the potential to be disproven, then can we really call it knowledge?

Debate Information

I have a specific question I want to ask, and this has to do with science but also to do with philosophy of science. Now before I start let me just say, that I am historian and a philosopher. Those are the two areas of study in which I have the most expertise. So my question may be influenced by my scientific ignorance, or it could just be a rally good question. I don't know. Any way, my understanding about the scientific trade is that when a scientific idea such as evolutionary theory, the big bang theory, or even something like gravity is brought up, and then the scientific community embraces these ideas as factual scientific knowledge, that it is entirely possible for any of these ideas and theories to be debunked and refuted. Even something as grounded in realty and very hard to debunk like the theory of gravity, is essentially 99% a fact. So my question is, if this is the case, then can we refer to scientific knowledge as facts and knowledge at all. Just something to think about. I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this. 
"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking...is freedom."-Dwight D. Eisenhower

"It is not strange...to mistake change for progress."-Millard Fillmore

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."-Ayn Rand

"To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable."-Barry Goldwater

Debra AI Prediction

Against
Predicted To Win
56%
Likely
44%
Unlikely

Details +

For:

0% (0 Points)

Against:

0% (0 Points)

Votes: 0

Voting Format: Casual Voting

Rounds: 1

Time Per Round: 48 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 24 Hours

Round 1

Voting

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: For
    Knowledge is basically information that one acquires. It doesn't matter how it came about or if it is true, factual or whatever; it's still just knowledge all the same. So yes, knowledge of scientific information regardless of how accurate can still be called knowledge.
    MattGould

• Round 1 | Position: Against
    VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited October 2019
    Unfortunately, knowledge by definition cannot include false information and therefor any presumed knowledge that turns out to be false was never knowledge to begin with, such is the history of science though.

Science is home to the world's greatest blunders and misinformation since the beginning of time.  There's no shortage of shocking and outright ridiculous so called "Knowledge" that science has passed off onto humanity over the history of the world.

This is why scientific revelation is SUPPOSED to be tempered with caution and skepticism.  The reality though is that it rarely is and as a result we end up with things like Human Evolution being taught in schools because of the discovery of the Piltdown man which ended up being a hoax that sat in a museum for decades under the guise of "The missing link". 
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• Round 1 | Position: Against
    MattGouldMattGould 52 Pts   -   edited October 2019
    @ZeusAres42 the statement you have just made is not exactly true. According to the dictionary knowledge is “facts, information, and skills acquired through education and experience.” Also, my question, which I will admit I used both words fact and knowledge together in a confusing way so it’s partially my fault, was if anything in science has the potential to be refuted or debunked, then can we really call scientific knowledge “fact” and if it isn’t a fact then can we really call it knowledge. 
    "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking...is freedom."-Dwight D. Eisenhower

"It is not strange...to mistake change for progress."-Millard Fillmore

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."-Ayn Rand

"To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable."-Barry Goldwater

• Round 1 | Position: For
    AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    For? Against? I think we need a "Neutral" here.

I'm not a scientist, but, I think ANY legitimate scientist would have an open mind and know that "facts" can change. They have for eons! We have to work with what we've got, but, there MUST be reasonable data to back up a "theory", and evidence that can't be argued against before we can consider something a "fact". Gravity is a fact. The Earth being round is a fact. When it comes to "flat Earthers" …. well …. mental derangement is also a fact. :smirk:
    MattGould