frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is Mental illness a Medical , Psychological or a Spiritual issue?

Debate Information

Unless you may have living in cave then you should have noticed that Opioids addiction was declared a National crises in 2017 by President Trump, millions around die each year from drug over dose. And by drug, I mean, any substance that is induced into your body for primary purpose of mood alteration. That will include but not limited to alcohol, wine and spirits, cocaine, marijuana, pain killers legally prescribed by a Psychiatrist, like Morphine and others, Anxiety med, like Xanax and others. All mass shooters with-in the last 60 years were seeing a Psychiatrist and were all on medication to control mood. By Mental illness, I mean normal everyday folks suffering from loneliness, fear, stress, anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts. The debate is,  are these medical, psychological or spiritual issues?     
AlofRI

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    It's a medical issue, by definition... Medicine concerns itself with Health, which is a holistic concept encompassing physical and mental "well-being" of people. Spirituality (or related words) is just a way of describing the mental part of individuals, it doesn't exist separate from it, so to me it's a useless word here. 

Your definition of "Mental illness" is terribly large... Loneliness, fear, stress, anxiety, depression, etc, are not in themselves illnesses, it'd be more accurate to talk about states of mind/emotions, which can become symptoms of illnesses. We all experience fear, stress, anxiety, we're not "ill" when we experience those at the sight of a menacing grizzly standing 20 yards in front of us, it's quite normal and really healthy to... 

When someone is unable to function, that is when it becomes an illness. It's a question of balance in physical-mental states, that's why it requires both physical and mental treatments. It's easier to treat the physical first, a lot more objectivity in chemistry than emotions right? The mental part of people being the realm of subjectivity, restoring balance there is not as easy as it may seem...
    AlofRI대왕광개토ZeusAres42Oppolzer
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    @wakoti

It is untrue that all mass shooters were seeing psychiatrists, or were taking medication for mood disorders. Only 25% of mass shooters can actually be identified as someone with some sort of mental illness, and only 4% of mass shooters have been diagnosed with a severe mental illness. You're purposely misrepresenting mental illness. Extremism, racism, and terrorism are not symptoms of mental illness. This thread is a load of $hit, and I wouldn't be surprised if this user is a troll bot that was programmed in Moscow. Get fu€ked!!!!   
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    @wakoti

Oh ya, welcome to DI by the way.
  • all4acttall4actt 305 Pts   -  
    Mental illness is generally a chemical imbalance.  The rest can be aided by counseling but are not in themselves a mental illness.  
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  

Trump says a lot of mostly things because of his genetic idiocy , he also stated that mass shootings were done by the mentally ill . Gun violence  is more an issue of access and regulation than it is mental health which is quiet simply a fact that eludes the Orange one and his sycophantic fan base 
    AlofRICYDdharta
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    Medical. There is no proof of other causes. God hates me, that's why He allowed mental illness for me.
    AlofRI
  • Mental illness originates within the organ called the brain. Therefore, Mental illness is both a physical and medical condition. I think it's time we move away from talking as if the brain is somehow a separate entity from the rest of the body.
    Plaffelvohfen