frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Why are dogs more sacred than other animals?

Debate Information

When we eat chickens, pigs, cows and other animals that are eaten by us, people generally do not show great sympathy toward them, except the vegans and animal lovers. However, when dogs get eaten, people get mad about it and demand that such kind of atrocy should be stopped. I know that dogs are treated extremely horribly(beaten and steamed alive) by those who make and sell dog meat. I also fully acknowledge that dogs in dog meat industries should absolutely receive humane treatment. However, I could never understand those who claim that dogs should never be eaten because they are humanity's friend(they also claim that somehow killing dogs is morally wrong while killing other farm animals is not). I find this claim quite absurd because pontential to become human's friend is not only limited to dogs . Other animals too can become human's friend. Considering that fact that animals other than dogs have potential to become human's friend, I find no moral significance that puts dogs in a position higher than those of other animals. What is your thought on eating dog? Do you think that there is a moral difference between killing dogs and other farm animals? 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1833 Pts   -  
    People didn't really care too much that Pres. 0bama admitted to eating dogs.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -  
    It is all about the culture. The reasons are likely to have been religious at first, and over time they just became shrouded in the mist of history, with people still following these arbitrary norms.

Indians have a stigma against eating cows; Israeli have a stigma against eating pigs; we have a stigma against eating dogs, which is actually fully acceptable in Korea and in some parts of China. Almost all cultures have a stigma against eating insects, but Chinese have no problem with it.

I am not aware of any cultures that would have a stigma against eating chickens, which I believe is a result of chickens being so abundant and easy to grow and cook, that having a stigma against them is too economically damaging to virtually all societies for it to become a part of their culture.
  • AmpersandAmpersand 858 Pts   -  
    @대왕광개토

People will not want to see anything they have a strong positive emotional attachment to harmed. In many, but not all, countries dogs are a very common pet and people will grow up with them, see clip shows on TV which will show dogs doing funny thing, have toys of them as a child and essentially be educated from a very young age that dogs = good and fun.

The difference is largely cultural, although the dog also has an obvious advantage over some creatures (say a mollusc) in that as an intelligent mammal it's a lot easier to empathise and anthropomorphise it.