frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

what does love mean? what is it?

Debate Information

We all have different definitions of love, but what does it really mean?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• A sexual attraction to another human being
    JayzePickles
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • JayzePicklesJayzePickles 12 Pts   -  
    Love is not just a sexual attraction to someone else. It means so much more.
    There are different levels to love, 
    1. A feeling of wanting to be with someone. Like hanging out with them, you always want to be near them.
    2. A need for psychical contact, infatuation 
    3. An obsession with the other person. 

I personally feel that love is so unclear in alot of ways, but the main point is often for 'true love' its not an infatuation with the persons appearance, but a blurred line between best friend and boy/girl friend. 
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    Like beauty, love is in the eye (or the heart) of the beholder... It's not a single thing, but a wide subjective emotional spectrum...
    Oppolzer
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • Love is a feeling of wanting to be with someone for the rest of one's life, I guess.
    Neopesdom
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    I guess it could be said that love is essentially, to value the well-being of someone else, above our own... 
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5969 Pts   -  
    On a very fundamental level, love is just chemical reactions in our bodies. However romanticised it is, it is a pretty simple biological effect. The difference between love and, say, infatuation is just in the strength of those reactions, and in some of their finer details.

Love stems from our biological conditioning to need to reproduce, and it is much easier to do so with a long-term partner, than with someone you just spent a few minutes with every now and then. It also has collectivist routes: it is important that humans sacrifice their lives for each other in a hostile environment, otherwise the entire tribe would perish in the older times, if everyone fled at a sign of trouble.

I do not think love is nearly as important nowadays as it was, say, 10,000 years ago. I would like to see a society to become less uptight and more relaxed, so short-term connections, including sexual ones, were not frowned upon, so there was no jealousy, so people just interacted with each other all the time without strong preferences. Perhaps I am just a strange person, as I have never found much appeal in forming strong bonds with anyone, but I do find it somewhat regrettable that so many people close themselves in their small social bubbles and spend an ungodly amount of time with a handful of the same people, while there is an entire world out there begging to be interacted with.

As someone working on campus, I see all the time foreign students grouping up based on their country of origin. You see groups of Chinese students, groups of Portuguese students, groups of Indian students, etc. These people are missing on a lot in life. Me, I am the guy who will walk into a group of Chinese students and start talking with them, just as easily as I will with any American. I do not believe in segregation, even voluntary. And love, however romanticised it is, I see as contributing to that segregation.

Now, I do not have anything against love itself, and it is very likely that at some point in life I will fall in love with someone so strongly, I will want to spend my life with them. However, I think people should be more pragmatic about love. Love is just a feeling, it is not some form of a supernatural magical entity that needs to be put on a pedestal above all else. So is infatuation, affection, etc., romantic or otherwise. Recognise its limitations and the limitations blindly following it imposes on your life, and treat it as a tool, not as goal - and you should be fine!
    Oppolzer