frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

past time?

Debate Information

if you could go anywhere and anytime back in to the past and just change one event, what would it be and why?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    Probably the act of removing Jesus' body from the tomb. That one act sealed the myth of Jesus as a "god" who had "risen".

I think he was a great, and charismatic "man" …. if a majority of the stories are true. Many, I believe, were HIGHLY exaggerated, but, that was the way with peoples minds at that time. We have recently had people who some swore produced "miracles" …. the mind does strange things when it gets passionate.

Many adore and respect people like Gandhi, Mother Theresa, etc.. I think the original Bible, as cruel as it is, would have mostly been ignored by this time, if not for the "shot in the arm" the New Testament gave it. Then we could have moved on with common sense and science, without so much obstruction.
    smoothiePlaffelvohfenmaxxTKDBZeusAres42
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    Depends on how much control I have over the change. Let us suppose I can reasonably influence a few people and get them to do things differently.

I would go back to around 35 BC, meet Cleopatra and marry her. She was unimaginably smart, and would have no trouble following my explanation of all the scientific and technological changes of the next two millennia. I would also convince her to not antagonise Augustus and support him in the Roman civil war, so Egypt does not get destroyed. She would launch massive reforms, both in terms of the political/economical structure, and societal culture, that would be 1800 years ahead of their time.

Then I would go back to 2019 and see how much it has changed. Hopefully it would be a socio-technological utopia, with colonies outside the Solar system and unbelievable quality of life.
    maxxsmoothie
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    @AlofRI

I have a fair and equal argument, in regards to your statements:

(An historical moment to ponder over.

When the same Priests who wanted Jesus to entertain their questions, didn't get the Priest like responses that they were looking for, or demanding, they Religiously persecuted his efforts by Crucifying him.

Jesus, was Religiously persecuted by Religious Priests, who were I guess, supposed to be Religious oriented themselves?)

I understand what you're saying:

"Probably the act of removing Jesus' body from the tomb. That one act sealed the myth of Jesus as a "god" who had "risen".

I think he was a great, and charismatic "man" …. if a majority of the stories are true. Many, I believe, were HIGHLY exaggerated, but, that was the way with peoples minds at that time. We have recently had people who some swore produced "miracles" …. the mind does strange things when it gets passionate.

Many adore and respect people like Gandhi, Mother Theresa, etc.. I think the original Bible, as cruel as it is, would have mostly been ignored by this time, if not for the "shot in the arm" the New Testament gave it. Then we could have moved on with common sense and science, without so much obstruction."

@AIofRI

The persecuting actions by those Priests, if they hadn't of Crucified Jesus to begin with, maybe the life of Jesus, wouldn't be the global conversation that it's become, since his death?

If I could go back in time, I would ask the Founding Fathers, to reconsider, or reevaluate, their last draft of the United States Constitution, and have the Second Amendment, written to where it states, that while a citizen has the Right to bear arms, that they should not have the Right to own illegal arms, because illegal firearms, have led to the blatant obstruction, and the destruction of innocent citizens, being denied their own Rights, because they were victimized by some citizens, who have owned, an illegal, or legal firearm.

I think that if the Founding Fathers, would have given more thought, to how the Second Amendment, has been grossly exploited by both the illegal, and legal gun owner, they wouldn't have written, and left the Second Amendment, in such a (Vulnerable state of gross interpretation.)
    Being that so many citizens, have abused the Second Amendment via their individual actions, for generations now.

AlofRI