frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

A good friend is not someone that will just tell you what you want to hear

Debate Information

Several people have friends that are overweight. And what these friends do is tell their friends that they are completely normal all because they don't want to upset their friend. However, this does absolutely no favors for overweight individuals. This is just one example. There are many other cases where friends will just tell each other what they want to hear which in my opinion isn't the ideal idea of a friend.

Another scenario is where you may have a friend that looks ill, has lost a lot of weight, and perhaps even looks a bit yellow. And what you do is ignore it. A few months later, they're rushed into the emergency room and they're soon diagnosed with pancreatic cancer with about 3 months to live.

In many cases, just telling a person what they want to hear is doing them no favors, and you'r definitely not being a good friend.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    I think it is important not to force your views on your friends. If your friend is overweight, but does not want to talk about it, then pushing the topic in order to try to get the friend to do something about it is a bad idea.

Also, if your friend seeks some validation and wants you to tell him/her that being overweight is okay, then, depending on the situation, you might want to oblige - not to lie about it, but to be warm and diplomatic, so to speak. You could say, "You may be overweight, but I still have got your back. It does not change my opinion on you in any way".

However, a truly good friend manages to inspire his/her friends to change in a positive manner, in a way that makes them actually want to do it. It is not easy to do so, but if you act from empathy and not from insecurity or some other negative aspect of you, then you are likely to succeed.

I got one Korean girl to stop smoking by having her back at hard times. She was having some psychological issues due to some events that happened to her, and smoking extensively was a way for her to cope with those issues. By being there for her and serving as a better outlet for her feelings, by supporting her and having chats with her, where she would unload all of her feelings on me and I would take it all in and give her encouragement, I got her to confront her feelings, instead of hiding from them. And simultaneously I gently promoted healthy lifestyle, offering her to go for runs together (which she did not accept, but she appreciated the gesture), going for walks together and so on. I only knew her for a few weeks (I was in Canada for a month), but by the end she quit smoking altogether.
    I also got one French girl to drop a lot of weight, to the point where I could hardly recognise her when I met her again a year later. But she, to be fair, wanted to drop weight desperately, and was ready to have difficult discussions about her weight issues. It is always easier when the person actually wants to have these conversations, than when you have to gently steer them towards them.

Human relationships are sophisticated things, and there are no universal rules applicable to every relationship. A good rule of thumb is to never lie and to always be authentic, but there is a lot of nuance pertinent to individual cases. I usually prefer to get somewhat close to the person before initiating hard discussions, and I need to know what they are comfortable talking about before I choose the "plan of attack".

Also, humor is to not be underrated. Humor breaks barriers and melts people's hearts. And when someone seems especially serious and resistant to humor, typically it means that humor is what they need the most right now. If you can go through the initial resistance and employ healthy humor despite their seeming unwillingness to listen to it, you can often get them to open up to you and tell you of deep issues you never suspected were there.
    But it should not be done in a manipulative manner. You have to be genuine in your intent, otherwise the manipulation will be detected and heavily rejected.
    Happy_Killbotsmoothie
  • smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    If my friends told me everything I wanted to hear all the time then they would be yesmen not friends

I like hearing opinions about me from people close to me because its important to learn another's perspective on your own character. Nobody is perfect and its good to hear that about you sometimes
    why so serious?