frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

just a day?

Debate Information

is not the biblical sabbath Saturday and why do not Christians follow it instead of on sunday?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @maxx ; The Sabbath is Saturday, the last day of the Week but the Sabbath was given to the Hebrew Tribes in the Covenant of Law. Messiah Yeshua, having established the Covenant of Grace by the shedding of His sinless blood (Matthew 26:28) freed those who place their faith in Him as Lord from the Law of Ordinances (Colossians 2:16). Christians are free to worship everyday, any day, all day...Jesus fulfilled The Law and the Sabbath requirements for those who trust in Him as Lord and Mediator for sin (Romans 10:4; Mark 2:23-27).

"It's important to note that the Sabbath was not simply moved; Christians altered the observance as well as the day. Hallmarks of the early Christian "Lord's day" celebration, according to Justin Martyr (ca. 100-ca. 165), included readings from Scripture (particularly the Gospels), a sermon, communal prayer, and Communion—very different from Jewish Sabbath observance." https://www.ligonier.org/blog/why-christians-worship-sunday/

The first day of the week was the day on which our Lord rose from the dead (John 20:1; cf. Ps. 118:24).
    The first day of the week is called “the Lord’s day” (Rev. 1:10; cf. 1 Cor. 16:2).
    The first day was the day on which the Holy Spirit was poured out on the church (Acts 2:1-36).
    Just as on the first day of creation God made light and separated it from the darkness, we gather on the first day of the week to celebrate the light of the gospel in Jesus Christ, who has separated us from the world of the darkness of sin (John 1:5, 9; 3:19; 8:12; 2 Cor. 4:1-6).  https://www.ligonier.org/blog/why-christians-worship-sunday/

The “first day of the week” in Hebrew is yom rishon = "first day" = (Sunday), see: https://www.jewishgen.org/InfoFiles/m_calint.htm

TKDB
  • maxxmaxx 1134 Pts   -  
    I really did not say about worshiping on the sabbath; I meant on keeping the law of no work and so on@RickeyD
  • maxxmaxx 1134 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    I really did not say about worshiping on the sabbath; I meant on keeping the law of no work and so on@RickeyD. In other words; doing what is forbidden. Saturday is the sabbath yet it is ignored therefore a broken commandment.  is it ok for Christians to break just one commandment or something?
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    @maxx ; The Christian is not under The Law in Jesus Christ. The Levitical Law was given specifically to the Hebrew Tribes and those who sojourned with them. Jesus Christ is the end of The Law concerning righteousness...The requirements of the Jewish Sabbath do not apply to me in the Covenant of Grace. I set-aside the First Day of the Week, Sunday, to worship my Lord but observance of The Law and the Sabbath's restrictions are not applicable any longer unless you are practicing Jew seeking righteousness through The Law which can never be realized. 

Jesus said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.  Mark 2:27 (NASB)  Jesus is our Sabbath rest.

First, the Sabbath was intended to help people, not burden them. In contrast with the grueling daily work as slaves in Egypt, the Israelite's were commanded to take a full day of rest each week under the Mosaic Law. Pharisaical law had morphed the Sabbath into a burden, adding restrictions beyond what God’s law said. The act of picking a head of grain and munching on it as one walked along a field should not be considered “harvesting,” as the Pharisees tried to categorize it. The disciples had not broken God’s law; they had only violated the Pharisees’ strict interpretation of the law. Jesus reminded the Pharisees of the original intent of the Sabbath rest.

Jesus gives a similar reminder in Mark 3:1–6 (also Matthew 12:9–14; Luke 6:6–11) when He heals a man on the Sabbath. The Pharisees were looking to accuse Jesus and closely watched His response to a man with a shriveled hand. “Jesus asked them, ‘Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?’ But they remained silent” (Mark 3:4). The Sabbath was not intended to burden people but to ease their burden. For someone to forbid acts of mercy and goodness on God’s day of rest is contrary to all that is right. Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath, did what was right and healed the man, and that’s when the Pharisees began to plot with the Herodians to kill Jesus.

Second, Jesus is Lord even of the Sabbath. What does this mean? Another way to express the idea is to say Jesus is in charge of the Sabbath. He is God in human form, and He created the Sabbath day. As the One who wrote the law, Jesus certainly has oversight over how the law is to be enforced. The Pharisees had lifted their own rules to the level of God’s, placing onerous burdens on people, and they ended up rebuking the Lawgiver Himself.

Jesus is also the Lord of the Sabbath in that the Sabbath pointed to the rest Jesus provides. Jesus became our rest when He did all the work necessary for our salvation (Hebrews 4). He fulfilled the Law and the Prophets (Matthew 5:17). “Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes” (Romans 10:4). We rest, spiritually, in Him; He has secured our eternal blessing.

As believers, set free in Christ, we are not judged by whether or not we keep the Sabbath day (Colossians 2:16). Instead, we follow the Lord of the Sabbath, Jesus Christ. We find our rest in Him, and seven days a week are filled with worship of Him.

• maxxmaxx 1134 Pts   -  
    correct me if I am wrong; however you seem to be telling me that Christians are not bound by the sabbath or the old mosaic law.  I thought that Jesus came to full fill the law, not change it.  also, what other commandments do you deem that Christians are not bound by?  as well, God gave the commandments to humans in general, and not by saying, one religious sect has to follow them while others do not. @RickeyD
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    @maxx ; It matters NOT what religion or a sect or a denomination say or do but WHAT HAS THE HOLY SPIRIT SAID?

Jesus did not change The Law, He fulfilled it; in fact, He was the only One capable of fulfilling The Law. It is The Law that points us to Messiah because human KIND, soiled by the sin-nature from Adam, cannot keep The Law in perfection. It is only by keeping The Law perfectly that righteousness can be obtained by same; therefore, The Law only works death among mankind (Galatians 5:4; Galatians 2:19; 2 Corinthians 3:6). The Law pointed us to Messiah by confirming our inability to please God through The Law and live in accordance with His perfect standard of righteousness necessary to find entrance into the Kingdom of God subsequent to the death of our body in Time - nothing impure will enter the Kingdom of God; therefore, the purity of Christ over our life by grace through faith is mandated if we desire to live with God forever in the Kingdom (Revelation 21:27).

The blood of bulls and goats through The Law could NEVER take away sin (Hebrews 10:4) but these blood sacrifices pointed to the coming Lamb of God, Jesus Christ, Who would shed His perfect, sinless, blood as payment for the sins of mankind and it is ONLY the sinless blood of Messiah-Jesus that God the Father has deemed as atonement for sin...nothing else, no one else, but Jesus, alone (1 Peter 1:19; John 14:6)!

The Levitical Law was given to the Hebrew Tribes as a form of redundancy in that the Levitical Law simply adds detail and specificity to the objective moral law, Natural Law, written upon our heart by our Creator at conception (Romans 2:15). God the Father gave the 613-Levitical Laws and the 10-Commandments to the children of Israel as they were set-apart specifically for God's Plans and purposes for Time and Eternity and the Hebrew Tribes were to be Holy because God is Holy and it would be through the Tribe of Judah that God the Father would bring forth Messiah-Yeshua who would be the Savior of all mankind; that is,  those who would trust in Jesus-Yeshua as Lord and Mediator for sin (Leviticus 20:26; Deuteronomy 14:2; Isaiah 43:1; 1 Peter 1:15-17).

Jesus-Yeshua fulfilled The Law perfectly for us and by doing so, the ceremonial and dietary laws were nullified for the one who has faith in Jesus as Lord (Romans 10:4). The moral aspects of The Law remain but again...these moral aspects of The Law are already written upon our heart and are, for all intents and purposes, redundant. Jesus narrowly defined the entire moral law into Two-Commandments...

But when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered themselves together. 35 One of them, [n]a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the great and [o]foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”  Matthew 22:34-40 (NASB)

The Christian is NOT under the Covenant of Law or "works" which cannot provide righteousness (a right standing) with God the Father but the Christian is under GRACE through faith in Jesus Christ as Lord (Ephesians 2:8-9). The Christian possess Something/Someone that those under the Covenant of Law did not possess i.e. the indwelling Holy Spirit Who is given to everyone who trusts in Jesus Christ as Lord (Ephesians 1:13); therefore, the Christian possesses the tutelage, counseling, guidance, power and strength to lead a life that is honoring to God as they are made sensitive to God's will through the restraining power of the indwelling Spirit of God that teaches them daily in the ways of "sanctification" e.g. walking in obedience to God's will and learning God's divine nature through observance and obedience to the will of the Spirit (Galatians 5:16-26; 1 John 2:27). Remember that in the Covenant of Law, the Holy Spirit was under a different dispensation and the Holy Spirit only indwelt certain "anointed" individuals as they were commissioned by God for a specific task and the Holy Spirit could be taken away at any time for any reason. In the Covenant of Grace in Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit becomes One with the true and faithful believer and remains with them throughout their walk with God in this Life...it is the Holy Spirit of Promise that becomes the Spirit of Truth in the life of the faithful believer.

16And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot receive Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you do know Him, for He abides with you and will be in you.…  John 14:16-17

"I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly."  Galatians 2:21 (NASB)

The Law of written ordinances is not necessary in the Covenant of Grace as we have The Law written upon our heart and the faithful possess the Holy Spirit as our Guide and Wisdom; therefore, we are not under the requirements of the Letter but under Conscience via the Spirit.

But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.  Galatians 5:16 (NASB)

• maxxmaxx 1134 Pts   -  
    so once again I ask; are you stating that chrisians are not bound by the ten commandments?
    @RickeyD
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @maxx ; Christians are NOT bound by the Ten-Commandments concerning righteousness with God the Father. No one can find righteousness (a right standing) with God the Father by keeping the Commandments; in fact, no one but Jesus Christ could keep the Commandments perfectly. Jesus told His followers, while Jesus was under The Law, that if they loved Him they were to keep His Commandments. Jesus was speaking to those under The Law and while under The Law, it was obedience to same that proved their love for God even though they could not keep The Law perfectly. Jesus summed up The Commandments in the Two-Greatest Commandments that I articulate in the previous comment (Matthew 22:36-40).

The Christian who loves God and is born again by the Spirit of God does not focus on keeping the letter of The Law in Commandments but the Christian seeks to please God through obedience to His will for our life; God's will and His righteous decrees are already written upon our heart (Romans 2:15) and as the Christian seeks to honor the indwelling Holy Spirit, we're not seeking to keep The Law but to honor God the Holy Spirit through obedience. When we honor God by following the lead, tutelage, wisdom, discernment, of the Holy Spirit, the Christian is doing those things that please God, NOT in obedience to a written ordinance but by obedience to the Spirit through our conscience...it is the Christian that seeks obedience because we love God and it is through obedience that intimacy with our God is realized and it is that intimacy with our God that is the epitome of true love and true life in both Time and Eternity. 

The Christian seeks obedience to God's will NOT for the sake of The Law but because we love God and intimacy with Him is our greatest and most precious treasure in both Time and Eternity. I don't seek obedience to the Commandments given Moses and the Israelite's because God's Law is in my heart and the Spirit teaches me and guides me in the ways of righteousness through the process of Sanctification.