frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Do faith healing miracles exist?

Debate Information

I say no. When some people get better, that is a scientific occurance. Ignoring the glaring inequalities between those with and without privilege makes someone evil. I have prayed for years for relief from my mental health issues, and no luck. If there is a deity, he only cares about the privileged one. He is a cold hearted *****, and I hate him for it. Back to miracles: There is no evidence for miracles, so why believe? Belief for the sake of belief is a delusion.
PlaffelvohfenHappy_KillbotZeusAres42smoothieDeeAlofRI

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    It is an unfortunate truth, that if you want something you have to make it happen yourself, however once enough people have done something for themselves others may reap the rewards of their struggles. This is the heart of all progress.

Nature sucks, but we can do better. One reason why science and religion have ended up in conflict is because of the implications of science, when it disproves wishful thinking. Expecting yourself or someone you love to be healed miraculously is wishful thinking, but it does little or nothing to solve the problem. Problems can only be solved through critical thought and meticulous planning, engineering, and scientific advancement.
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • There have been multiple studies done over decades on things to do with faith healing, psychic healing, etc and none of it has turned out to be true. There are of course tons of pop myths that never seem to die though.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    Well, there is the placebo effect, when something that is not supposed to work works, because of the effect strong belief has on our physiology. There are also many cases that are hard to explain from the position of modern science, but that make some physical sense - there was a semi-paralysed guy in Russia (Dikul), for example, that managed to become an athlete through incredible willpower. There are also some strange properties of our organism on which science is conflicted: for example, it is known that the amount of stress is strongly correlated with the probability of acne appearance, but there is no consensus on the exact underlying mechanism, and some studies dismiss it as statistical artefact.

There certainly is no "religious healing" in the sense of some divine power interfering and curing the believer, but there are many things we do not understand about human organism, and many documented healing instances which we cannot easily explain as of now.
  • smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    Faith healing and related unreligious "wonder cures" are the oldest scam in the book that prey on people who have given up all hope and want to try anything to save themselves. This is a depraved and disgusting business model that somehow has continued to work since the dawn of civilization. If you give a dying cancer patient a handful a dirt and tell them if they ate 5 pounds of it everyday it would cure cancer, they would believe it. If a preacher said they would pray to god to cure your child's terminal illness for money, the parent would buy it. It truly is one of the sickest practices.

Heres a popular modern example of a wonder cure that obviously has never worked

"Jillian Mai Thi Epperly is the creator of an incredibly destructive juice cleanse, often referred to as Jilly Juice. This juice is made by taking cabbage and fermenting it in 16oz of water which contains a table spoon of salt. It is recommended that people drink a full gallon of this every day. The amount of sodium in one gallon of this drink is equal to 12 days worth of sodium at the recommended amount by the FDA."

"People have reported having fevers, seizures, and severe dehydration as a result of this cleanse, but Epperly addresses these claims by saying that all of these are signs that the body is healing from parasites. This cleanse has been directly linked to the death of a man"
    why so serious?
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    They don’t it’s merely wishful thinking .For a miracle to take place the known laws of the natural universe would have to be put on hold to allow such, this has not and does not happen.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaRedeemed

***** . I have prayed for years for relief from my mental health issues, and no luck

Welcome to the club, I remember also praying and how totally ineffective it was , when I became Atheist it used to upset me watching decent people fell to their knees praying for a sick child or parent and getting told “ oh well god works in mysterious ways” when inevitably the praying didn’t work (I used to work in a hospital) .

Think also why would anyone want to worship a god that watched children and adults die the most appalling deaths in Nazi concentration camps and do nothing as he has “ a plan in mind” ? What possible “plan” would require the suffering and torture of children to make it “worthy”?

One has be be brainwashed or mentally unbalanced to believe in such yet @RickeyD and his brain dead buddy @TKDB believe that a proportion of new born infants fully deserve to be born with cancer as a just punishment for their ancestors rebelling against god , no doubt the pair would applaud god if one of their own kids was thus afflicted as their god can do no wrong.

You’re well out of this B S just look at Rick and TK to see how damaged one can  become by accepting this into ones life 
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    I would say they do not. How do we even know miracles exist? A miracle is an imagination that someone did something special. How can you hold a basket with one piece of bread up in the air to make 5000 pieces of bread? That is considered a miracle which I call an impossible hope. 1st law of thermodynamics is matter or energy cannot be created or destroyed but can be converted. From down a queen and 2 rooks if you win that is not impossible, it is possible. Their is no law proving that wrong but their is for duplicating bread.
    A final question: How is faith healing considered a miracle?
    My answer: It is not as no law disproves it.
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    Being non religious oriented, is completely voluntary.

Just as being Religious oriented, is completely voluntary as well.

"Do faith healing miracles exist?"

I've not experienced a faith healing miracle myself.

So I'm going to wage a judgement against a faith healing miracle because of that reality.

But, in that same light, if someone does experience a faith healing miracle, why should others maybe pass a judgement, on a situation, that has ZERO to do with, those who don't live their lives a certain way?

Say as a hypothetical situation, I were to experience a faith healing miracle, it's no one else's business but my own.

Being that no non Religious individual, has any say over how I live my life, or that because I believe in Religious Freedom, and my belief isn't infringing, on any non religious individual, or that my view isn't infringing on a Religious Freedom seeking individual, as well?

Because I believe in being fair and equal.

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    I believe that, just like we have SO MUCH to learn about the universe, our origin and our planet, we also have much to learn about the power of the mind.
    I think it's possible that we have enough power to possibly cure ourselves of many things, or do things physically that we shouldn't be able to do. Someday, we may learn about those things. That said, "miracles" today are a stroke of luck until a scientific reason or theory can be found. I want "miracles" to happen, we could use some about now, but, to say they are caused by a "divine entity" is, …. well, I'll use a quote from a very intelligent person:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."  *Al Einstein*