frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Will you celebrate Christmas this year?

Debate Information

I will never celebrate Christmas again, because I am angry at God. I think God is an effing child abuser, and I want to hurt Him, the way He hurt me.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    Many more people celebrate christmas secularly which is amazing in my opinion. No blind god worshipping required, just loving your family and friends which matters a lot more.
    SkepticalOne
    why so serious?
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6021 Pts   -  
    God does not exist, hence being angry at it is impractical. Being angry at anyone/anything is impractical, for that matter.

On topic, I celebrate every day; I do not single out holidays. I like Christmas for the time off work it gives, and for the beautiful decorations on the streets and by people's homes - but other than that, it is no different than the rest of the year.
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    smoothie said:
    Many more people celebrate christmas secularly which is amazing in my opinion. No blind god worshipping required, just loving your family and friends which matters a lot more.
    I am really depressed, and do not want to be alive, so I hate Christmas.
  • Why wouldn't I, I love my family and it's a tradition, now is Christmas realy about Jesus's birth, yes it is but do we celebrate it bucause it's a religious thing, no we dont 
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    Why wouldn't I, I love my family and it's a tradition, now is Christmas realy about Jesus's birth, yes it is but do we celebrate it bucause it's a religious thing, no we dont 
    I hate Christmas.
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -  
    Yes, I will celebrate Christmas this year, although I am an atheist and not a Christian. I will celebrate Christmas because my family no longer celebrates it as a religious thing. It's more of a family get together. Besides, If I didn't celebrate Christmas, I would no longer have the privilege of being sure I would receive at least some of the items I write down on a large piece of paper entitled "Christmas List"...
    smoothie
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    It is interesting that Christmas is named the way it is.
    Because it has nothing to do with Jesus.
    It is a pagan holiday.
    Santa Claus is actually Odin.

It is like people decided to celebrate Trump's birthday, but because no one was interested in paying homage to Trump, they changed the name to Jesus' birthday.

Christians would not celebrate Christmas (It was called Saturnalia) because it did not have anything to do with Jesus.

Even Jesus would not celebrate Christmas.
    They had Saturnalia during Jesus' time, he did not participate, unless he broke the Jewish law.
    Jesus also did not celebrate his birthday.

"Nay, indeed, the law does not permit us to make festivals at the birth of our children, and thereby afford occasion of drinking to excess" (Josephus. Translated by W. Whiston. Against Apion, Book II, Chapter 26. Extracted from Josephus Complete Works, Kregel Publications, Grand Rapids (MI), 14th printing, 1977, p. 632).

Although not documented, if calculated Jesus' birthday would be about late September or in October.

Chrismas is not a real Christian celebration it is only named that way.
    So the question is if someone changes the name of something to make it seem more religious would you celebrate it?
    If everyone jumps off a bridge would you jump also?

Unfortunately, the answer to these questions is yes.

smoothie
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

I'm sorry, that you feel the way that you do.

I wish you nothing but peace and happiness.
    SkepticalOne
  • smoothie said:
    I am really depressed, and do not want to be alive, so I hate Christmas.
    There are people who love you and wish the best for you every day of the year. Do what it takes to be well, Yeshuabought.
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.