frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Victim kills sex trafficker, and gets life, after he walks free. Is this fair?

Debate Information

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    It is still murder. Are you advocating for murderer's rights and labeling them as victimized for being subject to the law against murder? Weird stance.

Vigilante justice is against the law. The lawyer prosecuting the sex trafficking should have had a better case.
    why so serious?
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    This really is just going to come down to the circumstances surrounding Kiser's killing of Volar. If she had to do it in self defense, she should walk free, otherwise she is still a murderer and deserves that sentence.

The circumstances make it seem like she may have had other options that she didn't act on properly and this lead to this radical outcome. For example, if it would have been possible for her to simply hold him at gunpoint, tie him up and then call the cops maybe she could have walked free. However the situation is complicated by Graveley not locking up Volar in the first place. In this case, she could have killed Volar in self defense and then called the cops. This would likely have been adequate for the trial to let her walk free with no risk of prison.

Instead she burned his house down, which did her no favors. At best, she will have to face arson charges because there is no argument that that was done in self defense, and it also potentially destroyed valuable evidence that would have been useful to her case.

This whole situation is just one big dumpster fire.
    smoothie
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    smoothie said:
    It is still murder. Are you advocating for murderer's rights and labeling them as victimized for being subject to the law against murder? Weird stance.

Vigilante justice is against the law. The lawyer prosecuting the sex trafficking should have had a better case.
    No it isn't, you don't know what it's like, and you are speaking from privilege. It is unfair for a rapist to go free, while his or her victim, gets life. This is rape culture, and survivors demand the justice DUE to them.
    smoothie
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    This really is just going to come down to the circumstances surrounding Kiser's killing of Volar. If she had to do it in self defense, she should walk free, otherwise she is still a murderer and deserves that sentence.

The circumstances make it seem like she may have had other options that she didn't act on properly and this lead to this radical outcome. For example, if it would have been possible for her to simply hold him at gunpoint, tie him up and then call the cops maybe she could have walked free. However the situation is complicated by Graveley not locking up Volar in the first place. In this case, she could have killed Volar in self defense and then called the cops. This would likely have been adequate for the trial to let her walk free with no risk of prison.

Instead she burned his house down, which did her no favors. At best, she will have to face arson charges because there is no argument that that was done in self defense, and it also potentially destroyed valuable evidence that would have been useful to her case.

This whole situation is just one big dumpster fire.
    She was raped, end of story.
  • smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    @YeshuaBought You don't know me and what I have been through. Maybe you are "speaking from privilege"? Not that I care at all.

You cannot take the law into your own hands, you can act in direct self defense but you cannot attack another person later because its "morally right".

The court decides whether it is a "rapist going free" or another innocent person being accused. You cannot be judge, jury, and executioner when we have checks and balances.
    why so serious?
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought Is that a free pass to destroy evidence that could be used to prove she killed in self defense?

Raped or not, destroying the evidence is the real issue here and I would predict that it will be the determining factor at the trial.

Most likely she will be charged with arson, which carries a 5-20 year sentence,
    destroying evidence (felony) $10,000 fine and up to 20 years,
    and possibly 2nd degree murder if she fails to prove that it was in self defense, 15 to life, although I think this will be unlikely.
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5968 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    Correction to the title: she has not gotten life, as the case is still being investigated. She may face the life sentence in case the killing was not shown to be justified in any way, but judging by the information that we have, this is not necessarily the case.

The issue here is that, by burning down the house, she eliminated virtually all the evidence she could use in her defense. Aside from the small amount of evidence the police collected before the events, it seems that her words is all she has to back up her accusations, and that is a bad situation to be in after killing someone.

Contrary to the popular opinion, simply saying that someone has abused you does not make it true. If she cannot prove her allegations, then she will be considered a murderer and imprisoned for a very long time. Due process is still a thing, no matter how emotionally charged a case can be.
    Blastcat
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5968 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought

There is no such thing as "rape culture".

Back when I lived in Russia (talk about "privilege"...), I once got attacked by a dozen of thugs who beat me down into unconsciousness and took away everything I had on me. I did not even bother filing a case, because, first, the police in Russia is corrupt and, in many ways, more dangerous to deal with than any imaginable thugs, and second, there was zero evidence of what happened, aside from bruises on my body - which I could easily have gotten in any random fight.

Did I fume over it? No. Life is not always fair, and sometimes you cannot prove what happened to you. In such cases you have to just swallow your pride and move on. And sometimes you may get unlucky and end up in jail, even though your actions were completely justified. This is one of those risks coming with living in a society, and you cannot get rid of this risk without making the system of justice into a joke.
    smoothieBlastcat
  • all4acttall4actt 305 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar

They had video evidence and pics.

Not to deminish any trauma that attack in Russia may have caused you but you can't really equate the the psycological damage caused by one beating to that of the psycological damage that multiple rapes and forcing someone to make sex tapes and who knows what else does to a person.

Besides her story isn't really out yet and we really don't know why she did it.  So I will have to researve judgement.

I do think that the DA or judge whichever is responsible should not have released the guy O.R.  That is simply outrageous.