frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Trump is no Andrew Johnson?

Debate Information

Well, I've recently watched a rather interesting lecture about Andrew Johnson and his impeachment in 1868. Now I've only just watched bits of Trump here and there whereas I have read and watched a fair bit on Andrew Johnson. And based on that I will have to say that I think it would be unfair to call Trump anything like Johnson. By the sounds of it, Andrew Johnson truly was an evil man responsible for a whole load of wrath that the US endured for some time. It really was a brutal time when Andrew Johnson was in power. I think Andrew Johnson makes Donald Trump look like a saint in comparison.

What do you think?
Josh_Drake

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6049 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    It seems to me that Johnson was mostly trying to serve interests of the Confederation, aiming at salvaging as much of it as possible in the post-war period. I would not say he was evil, although he certainly was not a big human rights advocate, and he had some authoritarian inclinations which ultimately led to his demise.

My take on Trump is that he is just a very-very good (perhaps a genius) salesman and negotiator, but does not have much political or economical knowledge. In this regard, he is quite similar to Johnson - but he does not seem to have any particular political agenda. He seems to only care about promoting his brand, so to speak, and that is not something I can say about Johnson.

Who I would compare Trump to is Lyndon Johnson (same last name, curiously). "LBJ" movie depicts him quite authentically and does justice to the testimonies of various White House employees, and he certainly has a similar personality to Trump's.
    Josh_DrakeBlastcat
  • MayCaesar said:
    It seems to me that Johnson was mostly trying to serve interests of the Confederation, aiming at salvaging as much of it as possible in the post-war period. I would not say he was evil, although he certainly was not a big human rights advocate, and he had some authoritarian inclinations which ultimately led to his demise.

My take on Trump is that he is just a very-very good (perhaps a genius) salesman and negotiator, but does not have much political or economical knowledge. In this regard, he is quite similar to Johnson - but he does not seem to have any particular political agenda. He seems to only care about promoting his brand, so to speak, and that is not something I can say about Johnson.

Who I would compare Trump to is Lyndon Johnson (same last name, curiously). "LBJ" movie depicts him quite authentically and does justice to the testimonies of various White House employees, and he certainly has a similar personality to Trump's.
    Are you aware of the brutal murders and slaughter that occurred and was accepted when Johnson was in power? But I agree with you about Trump anyway to an extent anyway.
    Josh_Drake

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6049 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    @ZeusAres42

My understanding is that the evidence linking those events to Johnson is very shabby. But I do not know that period too well and could be wrong. The first couple of decades past the Civil War are my "blind spot" as far as the US history goes.
    Josh_DrakeBlastcat