frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Pi, more than one ratio?

Debate Information

Mathematics the letter π, used as the symbol of ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, the ratio itself 3.141592+ -. (Correction) Any ratio itself must have two numbers 3.1415+ - : 1 is the ration.

1. Live Poll

Does the circle hold more than one ratio between it's diameter and circumference?

3 votes
    1. No? Impossible.
      66.67%
    2. Yes? possible.
      33.33%
  2. Live Poll

Is ratio also a ration?

3 votes
    1. Yes?
        0.00%
    2. No?
      100.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @John_C_87 When you say "ration" are you asking if Pi is "rational"?

It most certainly is not and this has been proved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_that_%CF%80_is_irrational

If you haven't taken any advanced maths, this is probably hard to follow.

Or are you asking if there are more than 1 numbers that represent Pi?

In this case, the answer is self evident.
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • @Happy_Killbot ;

I was not asking if Pi is a ration we know it is not a rational number, is it a ration on ratio generally as it only has one fixed set of value not truly expressed by the most common writing Pi equals 3.1415 a ratio must have two numbers at least at all times (3.1415 + - : 1 ) is a correct ratio.
    Is Pi a ration on all dimeter to circumference ratio's?
    Blastcat
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @John_C_87 This word salad is really confusing, enough so that I still have no idea what you are asking.

" was not asking if Pi is a ration... Is Pi a ration on all dimeter to circumference ratio's"

Your words are very unclear.

"ration" is not a mathematical term.

Pi is the number of diameters, or longest straight sections through the center of a circle, that are needed to equal the length of the circumference.

If you wrote what the ratio of circumference to diameter is that ratio would be "3.14159... : 1"
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    When we write a number like 3.1415, we often imply the precision up to the last floating point (or, to be even more precise, half of that). That is, 3.1415 actually means 3.1415 +/- 0.00005. It does not mean that this number corresponds to a collection of all possible numbers laying between 3.14145 and 3.14155, but, instead, means that it is a singular value laying somewhere in between these two values.

There are ways to explicitly write pi, for example, as an infinite sum. However, an infinite sum is itself merely a limit of a sequence, which gets us back to square one. We have to use limited precision when talking about the numerical value of pi, and since writing, say, 3.14 +/- 0.005 every time is cumbersome, we just write 3.14, implying 3.14 +/- 0.005.
    Blastcat
  • @MayCaesar ;

So then, Pi is not a ratio as said made between the diameter of a circle and its circumference it is an approximation only. 

This was a straight forward poll is Pi the only ratio to be made between a circles diameter and circumference.  Mathematics the letter π, used as the symbol of ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, the ratio itself 3.141592+ -.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/pi

Blastcat
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    @John_C_87 Wait, so this entire time you were literally asking "the definition of Pi is the ration between the diameter and the circumference of a circle. If the ratio between the circumference and diameter of a circle the only ratio?

You are going to turn me into a depressed death drone at this rate.

• @Happy_Killbot ;
    That was the first question ...
    Blastcat
  • @Happy_Killbot ;

A question arises when looking at Pi the ratio as stated in its definition. Is ratio a ration the same thing? 
    Is Pi something that limits a variable on one side of a ratio? The suggestion here is maybe Mathematics should have a term called Ration?
    If I were to answer your question of how many diameters of a circle equates to the circles circumference? None is the answer not 3.1415+ or -.

( Pi = 3.1415 + or -) so when writing a ratio of Pi it means the ratio looks like this (3.1415+or- : 1) That is not a ratio in basic mathematics it is simply an approximation. About (3.12 :1), or about (3.11 : 1)

When answering my own questions I world say. No. Pi is not the only ratio of a diameter and circumference. I would then answer the second question with no, a ratio and ration are not the same thing. Don't overthink the question I am not asking for you to complete my mathematic proof. I look only for string of answer in the poll. Your fist answer is a no so Pi is the only ratio.

Thank you by the way for participating...
    Blastcat
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    @John_C_87

No, pi is not an approximation; it is the mathematically precise value of that ratio. However, pi cannot be written in the decimal form through regular digits in a way that is not an approximation, because it is an irrational number.

Consider as an analogy the number 1/7. This is a very clear number, 1 divided by 7 - however, if you start writing it in the decimal form, then you will never stop writing the digits, because there is infinity of them. Pi is a bit like this, except it cannot even be written as a ratio of integers.
    Blastcat
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @John_C_87

On the standard Kripkean modal semantics

both definite descriptions and proper names

are not a logically sufficient condition for

genuinely persuasive counterexamples.

If sensory experience is veridical, we must posit that

nearly all the deliverances of normal science

bolster Nozick's radical account of

the lottery paradox.

Blastcat
  • @ MayCaesar

Okay, how Pi is presented in it's mathematic proof is not a approximation it is the ratio that cannot be written as ratio. Got it!....Thank you for participating in the poll Pi is not an approximation between 3.1 and 3.2 to 1. it is a ratio (3.1 - 3.2 : 1)
    Blastcat
  • @Dee ;
    You can save us all a lot of thinking and just say …. No, a ratio and ration are not the same. Thank you.
    Blastcat
  • @Happy_Killbot ;

Mathematically Pi is only infinite if Pi is a true ratio made from a circle’s diameter. You can continue to try and shine me on if you like I'm not asking to be lied to.

I not here to teach you basic laws of math like the difference between a ratio and approximation. Besides my drawings look way cooler than yours... Got a secant? Can you spare a cord?

Blastcat