frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is it possible to learn about God's Love, through the kindness of animals?

Debate Information

I don't care if this sounds crazy, but I have learned about God's Love, through the kindness of animals. About a year before I became a Christian, I adopted a cat, and named her Cuddles. I figured if she was so kind, her Creator must be, and decided to research whether to be a Christian, or not. When I was 15, I said to Jesus, "yes Lord, I believe"in an act of repentance, for all sins.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    Considering christians like RickeyD call them "beasts of the field" and some believe they will never go to heaven,

I don't see how god shows love or kindness to animals, so learning kindness through them is kinda hypocritical to me
    why so serious?
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    smoothie said:
    Considering christians like RickeyD call them "beasts of the field" and many will believe all pets and animals will go to hell,

I don't see how god shows love or kindness to animals, so learning kindness through them is kinda hypocritical to me
    Really? There is no Bilbical evidence to prove that animals go to hell.
  • smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought Yes I just edited after looking up, sorry.

Some will still believe they will go to hell and many believe there will be no heaven for animals considering there is no biblical mention of this
    why so serious?
    smoothie said:
    @YeshuaBought Yes I just edited after looking up, sorry.

Some will still believe they will go to hell and many believe there will be no heaven for animals considering there is no biblical mention of this
    I guess my question is this: if Jesus comes back from Heaven on a white horse, who says there are no animals in Heaven? Also: The Bible says that the righteous man regardeth the life of his animal, but the tender mercies of the wicked, are cruel.
  • smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    @YeshuaBought Right, but doesn't christianity focus more on the qualities and aspects of humans specifically?

You can be free to believe that an animals kindness is his love, if you believe he created the world as such. I just find the few or nonexistent biblical mentions of such kindness of animals confusing

@RickeyD What do you think?
    why so serious?
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaBought You should have gotten a dog..

Cat's don't feel love the way humans do, this is a scientific fact.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0135109

I think that you anthropomorphize animals to say that they show love somehow, and this is not indicative of anything, other than that kittens are cuddly and cute. Then there is all the awkward questions we should have to ask about mean or mindless animals, like sea sponges and single celled organisms... nature is brutal.
    Plaffelvohfen
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
    @YeshuaBought You should have gotten a dog..

Cat's don't feel love the way humans do, this is a scientific fact.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0135109

I think that you anthropomorphize animals to say that they show love somehow, and this is not indicative of anything, other than that kittens are cuddly and cute. Then there is all the awkward questions we should have to ask about mean or mindless animals, like sea sponges and single celled organisms... nature is brutal.
    I have a dog. His name is Spooky, and he is an amazing animal. I love him so much.
  • SandSand 307 Pts   -  
    Yes, because it is possible to learn love through inanimate things such as gifts.
    So the animals, the ecosystem, everything indicates God's love.

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    I have never understood the reasoning behind the claim that, to be kind, one must have been created by someone. Can creatures not be kind because of their inherent character instead? I find it wrong to give credit for a positive quality of a living being to something other than that being. When you want to compliment a human being for being kind, you typically say, "You are so kind", rather than "Your parents raised you to be kind", or "God made you kind", right?

Your cat is kind and deserves full credit for it. You do not need to introduce god into the equation for this reason alone.

I absolutely adore animals and can form strong connections with them. When my Cockatiel parrot who (and yes, I refer to my pets as "who", not "what") lived with us for nearly a decade died literally on my hands, I cried for hours, and was devastated for many days, unable to concentrate on anything; it was very similar, I imagine, to how people feel when someone they love or are close friends with dies. I formed a bond with him going far beyond simple fun games, and him dying felt like a large part of me was torn off from me by force.
    To me, animals make my life brighter; I have always respected them for simply going about their lives, not worrying about anything, as opposed to us humans, constantly stuck in our heads and finding reasons to be miserable in the most creative ways. A wolf that simply knows what it has to do and does it, instead of overthinking everything, has something pure about it that us humans lack - even if objectively the wolf is a serial killer by nature.
    smoothieHappy_KillbotPlaffelvohfen
    Sand said:
    Yes, because it is possible to learn love through inanimate things such as gifts.
    So the animals, the ecosystem, everything indicates God's love.

Animals are not inanimate objects. You have no proof of your claim.
    Sandsmoothie
    MayCaesar said:
    I have never understood the reasoning behind the claim that, to be kind, one must have been created by someone. Can creatures not be kind because of their inherent character instead? I find it wrong to give credit for a positive quality of a living being to something other than that being. When you want to compliment a human being for being kind, you typically say, "You are so kind", rather than "Your parents raised you to be kind", or "God made you kind", right?

Your cat is kind and deserves full credit for it. You do not need to introduce god into the equation for this reason alone.

I absolutely adore animals and can form strong connections with them. When my Cockatiel parrot who (and yes, I refer to my pets as "who", not "what") lived with us for nearly a decade died literally on my hands, I cried for hours, and was devastated for many days, unable to concentrate on anything; it was very similar, I imagine, to how people feel when someone they love or are close friends with dies. I formed a bond with him going far beyond simple fun games, and him dying felt like a large part of me was torn off from me by force.
    To me, animals make my life brighter; I have always respected them for simply going about their lives, not worrying about anything, as opposed to us humans, constantly stuck in our heads and finding reasons to be miserable in the most creative ways. A wolf that simply knows what it has to do and does it, instead of overthinking everything, has something pure about it that us humans lack - even if objectively the wolf is a serial killer by nature.
    You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to mine.
  • GnosticChristianGnosticChristian 285 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    I don't care if this sounds crazy, but I have learned about God's Love, through the kindness of animals. About a year before I became a Christian, I adopted a cat, and named her Cuddles. I figured if she was so kind, her Creator must be, and decided to research whether to be a Christian, or not. When I was 15, I said to Jesus, "yes Lord, I believe"in an act of repentance, for all sins.

Yes you can learn much from other animals, if you put yourself as just an animal born of nature and not created by Yahweh, who is a genocidal and evil god.

Nature creates for our best possible end while Yahweh is just good at creating defective souls that has most of us ending in our worst possible end.

What does your belief have to do with your repentance? Did you seek forgiveness from the victims first, and if forgiven, you would not need or be able to take anyone else's forgiveness. 

Right?

Regards
    DL

Yes you can learn much from other animals, if you put yourself as just an animal born of nature and not created by Yahweh, who is a genocidal and evil god.

Nature creates for our best possible end while Yahweh is just good at creating defective souls that has most of us ending in our worst possible end.

What does your belief have to do with your repentance? Did you seek forgiveness from the victims first, and if forgiven, you would not need or be able to take anyone else's forgiveness. 

Right?

Regards
    DL

I agree with one of your premises, but not all of your conclusions. I support Yahweh, and animals. I also don't claim to know all the answers, or have a perfect life. i know what it is like, to question god, but i still love Him.
    GnosticChristian
  • GnosticChristianGnosticChristian 285 Pts   -   edited January 2020

Right?

Regards
    DL

I agree with one of your premises, but not all of your conclusions. I support Yahweh, and animals. I also don't claim to know all the answers, or have a perfect life. i know what it is like, to question god, but i still love Him.

There is a mind inside that brain. I thought, -- well never mind. I do not want to wake up Debra the .

Nice not to see the petulant child.

You did not say what you agreed with and what you disliked.

Rather hard for me to form a rebutal.

Can you put an argument, your own, against whatever you did not agree with? 

Not to be an a hole, but I have not seen you do so but hope you are able to do it. I would like to change our patern.

Just so you know, Gnostic Christianity does not have a conflict between nature and god. 
    That is if you read scriptures as we do. 

We see god's perfect plan in action and have no problem with evil the way most do, in terms of god creating it.
    God here I define as first cause and the best rules and laws to live life by.

Regards
    DL