frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Does America, have too much government?

Debate Information

I say yes, but I want to preface my arguments, with the premise that I'm fiscally centrist, and socially libertarian. I respect individual positions from both the right and the left, but prefer the individualism, of the political right, as opposed to the collectivism, that dominates the left. Leftists have too much government in the sense they overtax people, and expect everything to be affordable. I'm sorry, but that is foolishness. You can't overtax people, and expect people to be able to afford everything. On the right, conservatives typically are against abortion, even for rape victims, and that is too much government. Those are just a few examples.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    The US had a reasonable size of the government in the first few decades past the American Revolution, in my opinion. The Founding Fathers designed a very good system under which people were largely free to go about their business, and there were enough protections assuring that people cannot get away with violating each other rights (with obvious exceptions due to the standards of time, such as slavery, women rights, etc.). The US during Thomas Jefferson's presidency was likely the most libertarian country in the history of humanity, and while to my crazy taste there was still too much government, it was better than anyone else has ever done.

It went downhill around the Civil War time, but the government was still relatively tame up until the early 20th century. Woodrow Wilson and Franklin Roosevelt, unfortunately, dealt the final blow to the Founding Fathers' design, and it has been going downhill from there in terms of the size of the government and its powers.

The US has a less authoritarian system than most other developed countries nowadays, but very inefficient system comparatively. For example, Switzerland can provide citizens with more numerous and higher-quality services at a slightly smaller price, compared to the US. The US has too many departments and bureaucrats pushing paperwork, which should have been automatised and streamlined by now, and has been in some countries such as Japan or South Korea. Granted, the US is a very large country, and federal governments in such countries are always quite inefficient - but there are still some areas that could be improved relatively easily.
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    MayCaesar said:
    The US had a reasonable size of the government in the first few decades past the American Revolution, in my opinion. The Founding Fathers designed a very good system under which people were largely free to go about their business, and there were enough protections assuring that people cannot get away with violating each other rights (with obvious exceptions due to the standards of time, such as slavery, women rights, etc.). The US during Thomas Jefferson's presidency was likely the most libertarian country in the history of humanity, and while to my crazy taste there was still too much government, it was better than anyone else has ever done.

It went downhill around the Civil War time, but the government was still relatively tame up until the early 20th century. Woodrow Wilson and Franklin Roosevelt, unfortunately, dealt the final blow to the Founding Fathers' design, and it has been going downhill from there in terms of the size of the government and its powers.

The US has a less authoritarian system than most other developed countries nowadays, but very inefficient system comparatively. For example, Switzerland can provide citizens with more numerous and higher-quality services at a slightly smaller price, compared to the US. The US has too many departments and bureaucrats pushing paperwork, which should have been automatised and streamlined by now, and has been in some countries such as Japan or South Korea. Granted, the US is a very large country, and federal governments in such countries are always quite inefficient - but there are still some areas that could be improved relatively easily.
    I agree. I support some social programs for people that need them but think Americans are taxed too, much, there is not enough religious liberty or free speech, too many attacks on guns rights, stand your ground rights, etc.