frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

What is the seperation, of church and state?

Debate Information

I respect the rights of other people, to make their own decision about Jesus and the Bible, but I have made my own, and feel I have that right. I don't always know what the left means, by seperation of church and state, so I'm asking them, to please explain it, to me.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    Separation of church and state is not a concept from the "left"; it is simply a principle stating that the government does not give preferential treatment to any religion, and that religious institutions are solely private. The government does not endorse any religion, it does not issue laws based on religious reasoning, it does not have officials tending to religious matters and so on.

Private individuals are free to follow any religion and to found organisations affiliated with any religion, but the state does not partake in such activities.
  • I don't disagree with MayCaesar.

The separation of church and state is a common defense to any general welfare by constitution for all those of religion an those who may feel they are not of religion. 
    Simply said as basic principle it is common way to create a alibi form issues of religious persecution by law. It has little to do a direct argument of preferential treatment to religion when held as a common defense.

Separation of church and state takes place as separation made on the practitioners of any one church from influence of fellow followers on any one legal state. In the most basic application it is any jury of people who are selected by two people with grievance to reach a conclusion on their behalf. (Think of it as a form of birth control like marriage that a male religion and a female religion can both use before screwing around.)  A bit unappropriated but maybe the most basic, honest, and accurate translation I can make. 
  • @MayCaesar ;
    Private individuals are free to follow any religion and to found organizations affiliated with any religion, but the state does not partake in such activities.

Religion is at liberty to be self-regulating. The religious following any church do not share this same liberty as united state. The basic foundation of your understanding is all state of legislation rule over religion by pardon of taxation. This is not true as religion itself can be proven free by simple demonstrating not cost or self-value in their operations. Operation at a none profit level is not an act of freedom. ( Not sure if I explained that clearly)

What is said basically is a religion is not free to sacrifice a human, a religion is at liberty to have  or allow a murder to take place. When accused of murder, a religion is allowed United State Constitutional separation from the accusation and the follower who is found a murder.
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    Separation of church and state is a core concept that the US was founded on, so important that it is in the 1st Amendment. It is not a policy pushed by the left, it is an existing policy that only far right regressives and theocrats want removed.

What separation of church and state does is guarantee that the government will remain secular and not enforce or give special privilege to any religion, because this is the way that it was done in Europe for centuries, where the religion of the people was enforced by the prince of a given Provence. This allows the people to follow whatever religion (or no religion) if the so desire, with the understanding the government will not help nor hinder them in any way, and the government itself will not derive any laws or regulations from religious thinking, specifically because that could infringe on the rights of people from a different religion.

The reason you think the left is going on about it, is because a lot of the right has shifted even further to the right, and many are pushing for religious based policies, for example suppression of LGBTQ marriage rights or Tax benefits for churches. Conservatives do not openly admit it, but sometimes they do push these policies specifically for religious reasons, or to keep their religious voter base happy.

Image result for separation of church and state
    Plaffelvohfensmoothie
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • @Happy_Killbot ;

Separation of church and state is a core concept that the US was founded on, so important that it is in the 1st Amendment.

1.      No, the separation of church and state is not anywhere in the 1st Amendment. The separation of constitution gives direction in a separation of state. Church is a label of state.

What separation of church and state does is guarantee that the government will remain secular.

No, it insures no such guarantee of secular governing, when the separation of church and state is applied followed it inures a common defense to both sides of a grievance. Any grievance as United State not just those of religion. It guarantees a secular government would have the same chance to use a separation of church as state on its own behalf as alibi to crime.

Happy_killBot simply said no such thing as marriage LGBTQ. There are United State rights, a right that are in fact a united state, as United State meaning LGBTQ are not excluded though can not be forced to see that basic right necessity of separation becoming the reason for equal issuance of Miranda right. Regulating direction of either LGBTQ or other. The issue of united state between tax and marriage is not a religious right and should have been addresses legally in general common law unions. A Binvir does not describe a court must instruct a sexual look for to include two men in this state of the Union. 

That simple. It is and always was a united State Constitutional issue demonstrating some states did not have an ability to preserve Constitution or United state. Again that simple.

• I may have to describe something even simpler by basic principle Happy_Killbot. 

The separation of church an state is a transition that can be made only between two states. Meaning a separation from one state to another state. The states chosen must by united as their own independent state before the separation. 

Governing is a state, a religion is governed, people are governed, politics are governed. Government, people, law, and politics are all state. To uphold separation of church and state is to uphold separation of politics and state, even uphold separation of people and state. 
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    I respect the rights of other people, to make their own decision about Jesus and the Bible, but I have made my own, and feel I have that right. I don't always know what the left means, by seperation of church and state, so I'm asking them, to please explain it, to me.
    Here it is from the horses mouth, so to speak:
    "The purpose of the separation of church and state is to keep, forever from these shores, the ceaseless strife that has soaked the sands of Europe in blood for centuries.  * James Madison * The father of the Constitution.

The founders seemingly disliked the Crusades, the "Christian" beheadings, the whippings, the imprisonment for taxes or the "alms for the church" … all that Christian, Islamic, Jewish fun stuff just didn't fit their idea of what a FREE country should be. If you are forced to follow the mantra of  ANY religion you don't believe in, it will eventually become "bloody" …. in the name of one "god" or another. :triumph:  
    Plaffelvohfensmoothie
  • Secularism
    Plaffelvohfensmoothie

• @AlofRI ;

Your answering the question with a why separation of church and state and not describing what a separation of church and state is. 
  • Secularism
    No, a separating of government form religion is not what is describe in any basic principle set by Separation of Church and State. Church and the state of religion are separated. Secularism does not reject all forms of religion as politics, philosophy, and education are all ideas which promote faith and worship.