frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Should E- Sports be a Co-Curricular activity?

Debate Information

E-Sports are...well...basically any computer game. So I feel that it is unhealthy for kids and it should NOT be a Co-Curricular Activity.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    I think that it depends more on the game than anything else. There are a lot of computer games that are perfectly mindless wastes of time and resources, but some can help develop valuable skills that are hard to  get anywhere else.

If you are playing a game that has a real life counter part, such as chess then I see that as being little different from just playing chess between people, regardless of if a computer is involved and the participants are playing against people in the same room or on the other side of the globe. In this way, a computer can open up potentially valuable opportunities that are much harder to achieve by physical means.

Other games such as real time strategy requires multi-tasking skills that are nearly impossible to teach in a class room setting, and only required to a lesser degree or not at all in most traditional sports.

Some of the more popular E-sports such as League of legends and DOTA have their own competitive aspects that mirror the ones required of traditional sports, but with aspects that are impractical or impossible to achieve in reality (i.e. shooting each other, spawning mythical opponents, or commanding massive armies)

While all of these activities lack physical components that can lead to heath problems should kids decide they want to spend all their time in these activities rather than participate in physical ones, I don't see this as a reason that we should ban them altogether, especially when you consider the fact that playing physical contact sports can lead to physical injury, thus balancing out the potential for things to go wrong in the long run.

At the end of the day, I would argue that e sports can be just as valuable as regular sports if taken in moderation, and a child who partakes in both e sports and traditional sports will probably be more well-rounded in the long run than a child who does not do either or focuses exclusively on one.
    Qwerty
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    Computer games are not unhealthy if played in moderation. And computer games played competitively can actually develop valuable skills in children, such as ability to handle stress and adversity.

I am a huge chess player, and I mostly play online, so it essentially functions as a computer game. I can say with confidence that chess has developed my logical and analytical ability to incredible heights, and I probably would not even dream of becoming a mathematician, had I not played chess a lot in my childhood and teens.