frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is understanding God and the Bible, synonymous with acceptance of them?

Debate Information

I say no. Only God, has perfect knowledge. I don't understand everything God does, or everything the Bible says, but I accept both.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    God introduces Himself to His creation first through Nature (Romans 1:18-32) and then through His written word that articulates the necessity of His Living Word, Jesus Christ as Lord. God the Holy Spirit took some 1400-years and used some 40-writers spanning 3-Continents to bring mankind His inerrant written word so that the human creation could know God, His plan and purposes for Time and Eternity.

Though Nature introduces God to the unlearned and motivates the seeking heart to pursue God in His written word; it is the written word of God that explains origin, meaning, morality, destiny and without the written word explaining the Living Word there is no knowledge of God's righteous decrees concerning the Gift of Messiah as our propitiation for sin; therefore, without the written word there is no knowledge of Messiah's necessity as the sin-bearer and man is therefore lost in ignorance.

Unless one seeks knowledge of God in His written word or hears the word of faith through prostelytization by the faithful (Romans 10:14), there is no opportunity to know God; therefore, acceptance of the written word is essential and the genesis of knowing the Living Word which is essential to establishing a relationship with God the Father; therefore, acceptance of the written word is essential and preliminary to acceptance of the Living Word which is preliminary to the acceptance and understanding of God the Father and His righteous decrees upon our life.

• YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    RickeyD said:
    God introduces Himself to His creation first through Nature (Romans 1:18-32) and then through His written word that articulates the necessity of His Living Word, Jesus Christ as Lord. God the Holy Spirit took some 1400-years and used some 40-writers spanning 3-Continents to bring mankind His inerrant written word so that the human creation could know God, His plan and purposes for Time and Eternity.

Though Nature introduces God to the unlearned and motivates the seeking heart to pursue God in His written word; it is the written word of God that explains origin, meaning, morality, destiny and without the written word explaining the Living Word there is no knowledge of God's righteous decrees concerning the Gift of Messiah as our propitiation for sin; therefore, without the written word there is no knowledge of Messiah's necessity as the sin-bearer and man is therefore lost in ignorance.

Unless one seeks knowledge of God in His written word or hears the word of faith through prostelytization by the faithful (Romans 10:14), there is no opportunity to know God; therefore, acceptance of the written word is essential and the genesis of knowing the Living Word which is essential to establishing a relationship with God the Father; therefore, acceptance of the written word is essential and preliminary to acceptance of the Living Word which is preliminary to the acceptance and understanding of God the Father and His righteous decrees upon our life.

I agree that we have to know the Triune God, but nowhere have I seen, that we need to understand everything about Him. It is impossible, to understand, everything about God, because God is infinant, and His ways are higher, than our ways, like the Bible says. I also want to mention, that many who have been christians for a long time, have struggled with mysteries, of the faith. Some things, we just won't know, until we meet, Jesus, Face to face.
    RickeyD
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    Well, you can accept anything you want, but if you do not understand it, then your acceptance is based on taking someone's word on it, and that someone does not necessarily have your best interest in mind.

I would accept something someone who has proven that they know what they are talking about says; for example, I do not understand all the inner workings of my car, but I will trust an experienced mechanic's version of what is wrong with it, based on his extensive record of successfully repairing cars. Still, I would want, at least, some understanding of the problem, before I hand him/her over my money. If I do not understand anything and he says, "Simply give me 500 bucks, and I'll fix your car", then he will be out of luck.
    Dee
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    0@MayCaesar

I note @RickeyD is totally avoiding the questions you and I asked yesterday , he’s meant to be a preacher yet he’s no answers ....
  • I say no. Only God, has perfect knowledge. I don't understand everything God does, or everything the Bible says, but I accept both.
    How many different gods and their holy books have you read?

You accept the bible as what? Myth or reality, literally or in some other way?
    Do you believe in real talking serpents and donkeys for instance?

Given that Yahweh is a Jewish androgynous god, is that the way you see him/her?

Regards
    DL

• Dee said:
    0@MayCaesar

I note @RickeyD is totally avoiding the questions you and I asked yesterday , he’s meant to be a preacher yet he’s no answers ....

Preachers always have answers.

Regards
    DL
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    It must be. I have trouble understanding either of them …. the contradictions, the cruelty, the lack of the promised "return" when the "creations" need it. 

As Mark Twain once said: " It is full of interest, it has some noble poetry in it and some clever fables, some blood drenched history and some good morals, a wealth of obscenity and upwards of a thousand lies."  (Speaking of the Bible.)
    And I HAVE TO agree with Issac Asimov: "Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
    Yes, understanding is synonymous with acceptance, and every year science is more and more "understood", and mythology …. not so much.
    GnosticChristian